Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vrrroooooom! Rear alignment question: Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rear alignment question:

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    How close are your Suzuki marks compared to using the above tool?
    Very close if not spot on. If I get a chance this week I'll look at the reference marks. My bike tracks very nicely and guidance on and off the pulley look great.

Someone also makes a laser type but the plastic housing the laser is mounted in looks like a poorly made toy from a misaligned injection mold.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

2. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trepetti View Post
    ... ... ...

On my '05 (S1), I use a caliper to measure the length of the stud that protrudes from the end cap, and adjust until they are equal. If that does not yield an accurate result, then your swingarm is bent.
    JM2C but the swing arm could be bent into a pretzel, you could measure the bolt length and walk away. That said it wouldn't tell you the wheel is aligned to the rest of the chassis.

The string will be another tool that indicates all things add up and potential account for small variations that don't.

As said the wear pattern of the lube leaving the sprocket is a good indication of IF the chain is pulling squarely on the sprocket. Results may vary as to if the wheel is properly aligned....

Biggest thing is to pay attention.... does it seem right?
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

4. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    cook.675 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the string method and will add it to my bag of tricks, but it was difficult to be accurate without using an assistant.

For example when I would eye the string touching the tire, then shift my eyes to measure the distance; its hard to keep the string at the exact location I had when looking at it touch the tire.

That said I did measure the bolt length and set them equal and noticed the rollers were dead center and the hash marks were the same. Most importantly the bike feels great!

I had new tires put on a couple months ago and just cleaned my chain and measured it (for the first time), the slack was like 1.4-1.5
    Im a little over 2 all around now and with a properly adjusted/cleaned/lubed/aligned chain everything is so much smoother the difference is night and day

6. Likes FinalImpact liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12