cook.675 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent stalling

Happy thanksgiving!

I have a 2004 FZ6 with 29k miles:

just recently, the bike started stalling at low speeds. Most noticeably it happens when approaching a stop and I pull the clutch in at lower speeds, however it has happened also while at 25-30 mph and slowing down.

Also on occassion when starting the bike it will run idle for ~30 sec then just die. It always fires right back up after it dies.

One time I lost throttle and it came back after a couple seconds without having to hit the start switch.

Its been happening maybe 2 times on average per ride over the past 5 days or so.

I dont think its nessecarily related to engine temp as it would sometimes happen after riding for 10-15 minutes.

First thing I checked was the idle. it was a litte low at 1100 so I adjusted it to spec (1260-1320) and there was no improvement.

I then jacked the idle up to like 1560 as an experiment and it didnt prevent the problem from happening.

I called the dealership and the bike had the TPS replaced in 2009. I did the TPS diagnostic and it was 16 closed, 102 open and smooth through that range.

I replaced the air filter at 25k miles and looked at it today it looks fine.

I checked the fuel tank hoses for kinks and stuff and everything looked fine

other (potentially) useful information:

New spark plugs @ 24.5 miles back in May

Replaced fuel pump/filter at 26.5k in September

Oil and filter change one month ago

The only other thing I can mention is that it suddenly got cold where I live (sf) and the problem happened as soon as it got cold. im not sure if its correlated

??!!?!?!

thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrrroooooom! Intermittent stalling Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Intermittent stalling

One of the popular intermittent problem comes from the kill switch. The contacts get dirty and gummed up and it becomes intermittent. If you're not seeing an error code there's a good possibility it is the culprit. Some people jump the wires to eliminated it and then if the problem subsides you can service the switch.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other common reason for this to happen is the safety interlock on the side stand. Disassemble the switch and remove all of the road gum and chain lube. Also check the harness that connects the switch.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    cook.675 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks for the tips I will try both of these things let you guys know what happens!

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to wager on the kill switch (if only b/c it happened to me). Pls do report back - these guys (the experts) like to have closure
    Last edited by gnyce; 11-18-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo

8. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    One of the popular intermittent problem comes from the kill switch. The contacts get dirty and gummed up and it becomes intermittent. If you're not seeing an error code there's a good possibility it is the culprit. Some people jump the wires to eliminated it and then if the problem subsides you can service the switch.
    +1 ^^^^. Here ya go, with pictures!

https://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...sassembly.html

11-19-18 4:40P, wrong link (as posted below - labeled it wrong in my favorites file), dis-regard.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-19-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

10. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    +1 ^^^^. Here ya go, with pictures!

https://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...sassembly.html
    Oops, that is for the INDICATOR switch assembly.

I'm sorry now I didn't make the kill switch tutorial, but since I bypassed the wires in the meantime I expect (and hope) I won't be re-visiting the little red bastard anytime soon

12. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bricksrheavy View Post
    Oops, that is for the INDICATOR switch assembly.

I'm sorry now I didn't make the kill switch tutorial, but since I bypassed the wires in the meantime I expect (and hope) I won't be re-visiting the little red bastard anytime soon
    Yep, wrong link (I labeled it wrong in my "favorites").

FOUND IT!!! With pic's!!

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...h-problem.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-19-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

14. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes bricksrheavy liked this post
    cook.675 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha thanks for the links. I have the day off tommorow so hopefully we wont be kept in suspense too long!

16. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Intermittent stalling Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, I just did a neighbor's electric seat control switch and it had springs and ball bearings with the seesaw contact assemblies. Lots of fun reassembling but worth the neighbors happiness when he could move his seat back..
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

18. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast