Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Riding with a Passenger

Quote Originally Posted by gtosteve65 View Post
    I really don't believe it is "my" clutch control.... since on all my other bikes I've never felt such a wild ride with a passenger. I think its the clutch on this bike being so binary. Its either on or off.
    Which might be an indication that your clutch is near "end of life" status. It's worse with a passenger due to the load and the additional slip required.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtosteve65 View Post
    I really don't believe it is "my" clutch control.... since on all my other bikes I've never felt such a wild ride with a passenger. I think its the clutch on this bike being so binary. Its either on or off.
    The FZ-07 lower lever is about 10mm's longer and definitely extends the "working range".

I know, I had one on my bike. It was too wide a range for me, couldn't get used to it, but it would definitely help you.

It's a factory part, less than $20.00, takes maybe a half hour going slow to install...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I surely hope its not my clutch at the end of its life! Unless the previous owner murdered it (Which could be very true). I'll look into the lever, maybe will go for it once I am done dumping some money into my seca.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem with the clutch being on and off. Coming from my Ninja 250 which had the most forgiving clutch it required focus to get used to. I never really gave it a chance and swapped out to the FZ07 clutch lever.

Overall that mod did not make a night a day difference but it helped. What did greatly help was lubing the clutch lever and cable. Other than maitnence, if you are not already make sure you are doing your best to rev match. With a passenger on it may better to slip the clutch a bit to avoid jerking. I still havent figured out how to change gears flawlessly with a passenger though...

6. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dort you have an little free play on your clutch lever? If not it is possibile that it is slipping a little all the time. This would wear out the clutch in no time.

gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have about 1/8" of free play on it. And its never tight against the handle once the bike is warmed up so I know its not slipping on its own.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I did some experimenting this weekend with a passenger. By far, the smoothest shifts (excluding the 1-2 shift) were done without using the clutch at all. In fact, the key to reducing helmet banging is a fast shift. This is especially true of the 1-2 shift. On the 1-2 shift the shift needs to be fast and smooth, with as little intruption as possible to power delivery.

That's my $0.02.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

10. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I clutchless shift, but have always been afraid 1st-2nd without the clutch. Maybe I'll have to practice it.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-read my post, I wasn't advocating a 1-2 clutchless shift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    OK, I did some experimenting this weekend with a passenger. By far, the smoothest shifts (excluding the 1-2 shift) were done without using the clutch at all. In fact, the key to reducing helmet banging is a fast shift. This is especially true of the 1-2 shift. On the 1-2 shift the shift needs to be fast and smooth, with as little intruption as possible to power delivery.

That's my $0.02.
    What you might be experiencing here is you being a little more cautious while shifting clutchless - i do alot of riding with a passenger and i find unless you're hacking it on the motorway, you really have to adjust the way you accelerate/shift. i second the comment earlier about not shifting while the revs are increasing. pretend you're doing your driving test again and you'll find it might work out. it may also help for your pillion to hold onto you rather than any grab-rails? a good hug around the upper chest (no ****) will secure the passenger better and make you seem like 1 unit rather than 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast