Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Riding with a Passenger

Depends on who is on back, but normally with a passenger around 6-7K. By myself I actually shift at lower RPMS usually between 4-5K.

Yes I know that is super low but I guess it just is because of my car driving instincts.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my understanding it's called fuel cut-off and adjusting the TPS makes the CPU think, that the throttle is a bit Open (when it is not), so that may help. Shifting at 4-5k rpm you have very little power, max torque is at 10k i think and max HP at 11-12k. It took me some time (came from 2 cylinders) to get used to it but I highly recommend revving higher!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtosteve65 View Post
    Depends on who is on back, but normally with a passenger around 6-7K. By myself I actually shift at lower RPMS usually between 4-5K.

Yes I know that is super low but I guess it just is because of my car driving instincts.
    I normally shift at 4k (90% of the time), maybe 5k

The higher the RPM's, the more you'll get the "effects" between shifts if not super smooth.

A throttle blip between shifts usually makes things smoother too..

And yes, bumping up the TPS, the engine thinks the throttle is open MORE (adding slightly more fuel) than it actually is.
    I'd probably try bringing it back to spec's (just to rule it out).
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess its time for me to break out the service manual and look into the adjustment. For all I know it could be out of wack!. I have my idle set for 1200 RPM, I know it says in the book 1300 RPM but I live in a very hot South Carolina, so I try not to produce any more heat when stuck at a light. The FZ seems to be a pro at radiating that heat onto me.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my leather on the additional heat is not a topic (because I am already almost melting). '

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try riding a Gen 1 FJR ("the heater" ) in the summer in SW Florida....

The FZ has air conditioning compared to that.. Nice in the winter thou!

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could only imagine how hot it must be on that bike. Once I get off the highway and get stuck at my first of endless lights, I can tell that I am cooking from the legs up. Once the fan turns on its even worse!
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

9. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Riding with a Passenger Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A clutch slave lever may help with clutch control. I think Killernoodle (member here) was making them as well as the lever from FZ07 from Yamaha being an alternative lever that will give a little better clutch control.
    Physical attributes of rider and pillion will generally help govern riding experience. Education is another factor.

When my wife first rode with me on the FZ6 she would try to readjust her butt just as we would come to a stop. Naturally as the wheels are turning much slower there is less gyro effect and the bike is less stable. I told her to not wiggle around until we were completely stopped with my feet planted. That really changed the experience. So communication and education can play a big part.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 09-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as we are talking about passenger etiquette, this little bit of information passed from rider to passenger makes for a much better riding experience.

To see your passenger has to look around your helmet. To ensure that you passenger is riding with you and not against you (putting their weight into the turn) it's good to tell your passenger to make sure that their helmet is on the same side as the turn.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

12. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    gtosteve65 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that communication with the passenger is super important. One of my low speed falls in life was actually with a passenger on the back. I have no idea if they moved or if I messed up, but we went from going straight to sitting on the ground. Frame sliders prevented any extensive damage, only the stator cover got scratched up.

I really don't believe it is "my" clutch control.... since on all my other bikes I've never felt such a wild ride with a passenger. I think its the clutch on this bike being so binary. Its either on or off.
    2008 FZ6 Blue
    1982 Seca 550 Red

14. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast