Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paul Myrus (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6..

Like the title says any folks need the feeling of more hp? Myself personally FZ6 2006 don't, but my mates on litre bikes give me the only run around, "ah man why did you get the FZ6 over FZ1, I've had a gsxr 750, and couldn't be happier with the FZ6 I always wanted one since they came out,

Anyway just wanted to throw it out there an see what you guys think

Howie Mandel's evil twin Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6.. Erci's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6..

FZ6 is an outstanding bike and it's anything, but slow.
    Some of the reasons I went to FZ1 from FZ6 (and several other bikes since then.. lol):
    1. I plain wanted one! FZ1 is a sexy beast
    2. I did a lot of 2up riding, and while FZ6 was just fine at it, more power is always nice for 2up.
    3. I did a lot of highway miles and wanted less buzz (FZ1 accomplished that nicely).
    4. I wanted to carry a lot of luggage (top and sides). Again, FZ6 can do that just fine, but a bike with more power handles extra weight with less of a noticeable hit to acceleration.
    5. I wanted better headlights. FZ1 had true dual headlights which are outstanding at night.

Some of the above can be addressed by modding FZ6, but let's be honest.. it's fun to try new bikes!

The thing I missed the most when I went to FZ1 from FZ6? Handling! FZ1 is a bit of a pig compared to FZ6. Biggest culprit is the 190 rear tire. There's a way to get around that too.. folks typically go with 190/55 instead of 190/50, to make the bike easier to lean over into turns.

3. Thanks ShoopCE thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of liter bikes. I'm 55 years old and have been riding since I was 8 (on the street since I was 16) so I know a thing or three. I've owned plenty of liter bikes over the years, mostly because in my 30's I thought that's what an experienced rider is supposed to gravitate towards. But after finding myself riding like an a-hole in my 40's I decided to ditch the GSXR1000 and go to an SV650. The old saying is so true, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. You simply can't ring-out a liter bike on public roads without endangering your life or the life of others. 600's and 650's a simply fun and I have owned a few in the last decade. In fact, I'm really eyeballing the Ninja 400 thinking that's probably a flat-out hoot to ride. I know that my DRZ400 Street Tracker sure is.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

5. Likes Erci, major tom, ShoopCE, FinalImpact liked this post
    Howie Mandel's evil twin Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6.. Erci's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    I'm not a fan of liter bikes. I'm 55 years old and have been riding since I was 8 (on the street since I was 16) so I know a thing or three. I've owned plenty of liter bikes over the years, mostly because in my 30's I thought that's what an experienced rider is supposed to gravitate towards. But after finding myself riding like an a-hole in my 40's I decided to ditch the GSXR1000 and go to an SV650. The old saying is so true, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. You simply can't ring-out a liter bike on public roads without endangering your life or the life of others. 600's and 650's a simply fun and I have owned a few in the last decade. In fact, I'm really eyeballing the Ninja 400 thinking that's probably a flat-out hoot to ride. I know that my DRZ400 Street Tracker sure is.
    Looks like I got about 6 more years of riding like an a-hole!! hahahah just kidding
    While I'm on a liter bike now, it's a V-twin adventure bike which is almost certainly SLOWER than FZ6

Vrrroooooom! Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6.. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a 600ish cc inline 4 and I think that engine is awesome in it's class. I got about 4-5 more ponies out of my motor but I spent $$$ on fuel management and dyno tuning. Torque is the greatest difference

When you think about the total package the FZ6 has good power and it's got great range. I like it's design. It looks really great. With a few mods and normal maintenance, it will really treat you right and it's reliability is second to none. It also makes a great street fighter! The other great thing is it still has great support through the members on this forum.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

8. Likes major tom, ShoopCE, Erci liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've owned many bikes MUCH larger than the FZ6 (sportiest being a ZRX1100, FJR 1300).

Rode ( and worked on a friends 1400 Concours and his Suzuki 1300 cc B-King). Changed the pipes on the B-king beside some other mods.

That B-king was un-comfortable as heck, a light to light racer and by far, the fastest thing I ever rode. You could NOT hold the throttle wide open in first, the bike accelerated so hard you literally could NOT hold onto the handle bars. A blast to ride (adrenaline rush big time).

I had a chance to buy it but didn't.
    I knew I'd either loose my license or my life (most likely my life-honestly)…

I bought the FZ as a new "beater" (wrecked) and had an 04 FJR, 04 Goldwing and 05 KLR 250 at the time. As I don't do anymore LD trips, I fell in love with the FZ6.

Handles great, plenty of power (to weight ratio), your NOT replacing tires every 4,000 miles. And will get up and go when you want to...

I can afford any bike I want, however, unless this gets wrecked beyond repair, it's not going anywhere.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-25-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

10. Likes Motogiro, Erci liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Red face Re: Anyone ever feel the need for more power with FZ6..

JM2C - fix the suspension and it transforms the fizzer into a new bike.
    Like said above, you get a lot of playtime in many forms riding the 6 with the liter gang. Ya I shift a lot and will tire of it one day but I still enjoy it.

If it just had more torque I'd love shizzle out of it. Getting respectable throttle response and pull was fun. It can be done on the cheap. See sig for details.

I may yet get brave and do cams and compression bump but i know NO ONE will ever want it after that!
    Right now it is a pleasure to ride!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6° Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

12. Likes Motogiro, Erci liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I'd get new mates if I were you. The ones who are obsessing and constantly validating their liter bikes are (among) the ones who will get in trouble. A "liter mate" spotting a dime and taking down other bikes would not be any premiere.

Used prices: 1000s are only 20-40% more than 600s so almost anyone could afford one. It's just that 170+ HP on the streets is either just posing or really risking it way more than it'd ever be worth.

If one insists on going really fast on the streets and can't do that on a 600- sorry but that's not because of the bike. One might cover the straight line between two corners much faster and overall feel better/faster, but they'll still be ****.
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

Paul Myrus (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers lads I thought as much... love the Fizzy

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came from my first bike, KLR650, then to a SV650 (a not very well cared for one at that), then came upon the FZ6. Coming from those two bikes, the FZ6 feels like a rocket ship. I was just going to put some gas and seafoam in it while it sat for a few weeks before I could repair it, and pulling out of the neighborhood I though i was going to loop it. When you can goose your SV650 out of first and second and not worry about it, a sudden jump to the FZ6 feels like a bullet. Maybe one day I'll get to where I might try and look for an FZ1, but that would only be for long trips when we hit the Cherohala.

17. Likes Ohendo liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast