Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    Now it's officially mine!
    Congrats. Be sure to share a pic when you get the chance.

2. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Only got these for now. I'll try to do a side-by-side when they're both clean and the FZ6 fully rebuilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk)-photo_2018-05-24_16-28-08-jpg   FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk)-photo_2018-05-24_15-40-28-jpg  
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

4. Likes darius, Motogiro liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited the first post with updates after around 2600km/1600mi
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of season update :

(did about 9000km/5700mi)

The bike ran great.

The only issues I had were broken MCs, where the seals gave up the ghost after bleeding the braided lines. The front one failed on the spot, while the rear one waited until I was 2000km away from home and gave a fully soft pedal- turns out asking for some DOT4 fluid and a 8mm spanner in order to rebleed the brake is quite hard in a foreign country where they barely speak basic English.
    Other thing- it eats up about 100-200ml of oil every 1000km. The internet says that's normal for larger V-twins, especially if revved hard. I did ride it reasonably hard, with multiple 1+ hours straight at 180-200kmh (keep in mind that it has -1 +2 sprockets).

Comfort: managed to get used to it up to a point, and that point is around 4-5 hours depending on speed- same as with any sport bike- the faster the speed the more the air stream pulls you back. The most I did in one day was 850kms in 12 hours- it wasn't impossible, but not the most comfortable thing either. Good thing is apart from the hard seat, the GF finds it much better than the FZ6, especially at higher speeds.

Also, managed to pull it off with the tires it came on.

So what I did to it overall:
    -brakes: new rear pads, front/back braided lines, rear MC rebuild kit, used front cbr 600 f4i MC, new fluid
    -put a MOSFET rectifier - didn't wait for the OEM one to fail but it turned out the OEM plugs were already a bit melted
    -new oil/filter
    -various small misc stuff, such as greasing this and that, a broken light bulb, etc

I also bought some parts, but didn't have the time to change them. After I've finished the FZ6, I'll do (in spring 2019 the soonest):
    -rebuild the front end - got some OEM seals and bushings, will need to also get new springs and compression valves
    -replace the rear cush rubber- got OEM parts
    -rebuild the front MC- got the parts
    -replace the rear caliper seals- got OEM parts
    -rebuild the clutch master, slave, and fit braided lines- got all the parts
    -change the coolant- got the parts
    -change the plugs- got the parts
    -rebuild and fit front calipers from a cbr 600 f4i - got the calipers, will need to get new seals
    -get and fit new tires
    -check the valve clearances
    -grease the rear arm/linkage
    -fit the volt meter and 12V plug
    -do some cosmetic work, such as painting the fork legs and engine side covers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk)-photo_2018-09-27_14-05-17-jpg  
    Last edited by bigborer; 11-28-2018 at 09:00 AM.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk) Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your mosfet regulator a series type or is it traditional parallel shunt type? I want to change over to a series type.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Is your mosfet regulator a series type or is it traditional parallel shunt type? I want to change over to a series type.
    Mine is a Shindengen FH020A (allegedly) coming off a 2013 BMW R1200 something, so it's not a series one. Don't think mosfet shunt is comparable to the normal (thyristor?) shunt- it's night and day difference, both cooler, and more stable. To my research, I only found 1 documented failure for a true (not Chinese) mosfet regulator, and that was for a FH012A or whatever the previous model was before the FH020A.

If you must insist on a series one your only bet is the SH847, because I remember reading that the one before it (SH7xx something) only works properly up to 10k rpm and gets quite hot. IMO stick with the tried and tested FH020A,

11. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! FZ6 versus Honda VTR 1000 f (firestorm / superhawk) Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    Mine is a Shindengen FH020A (allegedly) coming off a 2013 BMW R1200 something, so it's not a series one. Don't think mosfet shunt is comparable to the normal (thyristor?) shunt- it's night and day difference, both cooler, and more stable. To my research, I only found 1 documented failure for a true (not Chinese) mosfet regulator, and that was for a FH012A or whatever the previous model was before the FH020A.

If you must insist on a series one your only bet is the SH847, because I remember reading that the one before it (SH7xx something) only works properly up to 10k rpm and gets quite hot. IMO stick with the tried and tested FH020A,
    I like the idea of a cooler running stator as I've had one go south already. My twin gets to run in hotter weather in the desert.
    I think that older version was the ShinDengen SH775 https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=20426.0

https://www.shindengen.com/products/...otorcycle/reg/
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12