Likes Likes:  297
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

From the CLOSEST edge of the engine mounted bracket to the inside edge of the swivel clutch lever is 42mm at rest.
    (clutch NOT pulled in).
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

2. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

That's not a pic from my bike, just something random from google images.

Can't remember if I've mentioned here before but after reinstalling the engine the clutch cable needed both adjustments almost maxed out to get the required lever slack and a grab point at the mid point of lever travel. I have bought a new OEM clutch cable thinking that the one I have got frayed or something but it crossed my mind that maybe it's not the cable, and maybe it's the slave rod that might have grabbed 1 tooth off, making the cable end sit closer than it should have.

Tomorrow I'll reference those 42mm with what's on my bike.

Theoretically replacing a clutch cable is a quick and easy job, just loosen one end, use some tape to merge the new cable to the old one, pull the old cable and the new one should be in the place on the old one. But I have little free time so I'd like to avoid any non urgent repairs and any possible complications.
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines, APE manual CCT

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Page 5-51 and 5-52 in the Yamaha manual. Your shafts are likely not set in the cover correctly and need to be moved a notch.

In the second pic, areas 1 & 2 are likely off making the lower clutch lever too close

Pic's expire in 7 days..

It's likely not the cable if it's new. If your cable has the sharp bend at the handlebar, the air box needs to come out as that bend will not pull thru the frame easily. Not difficult, just more involved than you would think..

My original cable that DID fray:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-10-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

5. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer, Motogiro liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine measures 22 . something mm, I've definitely caught one or 2 teeth too early. I did have some issues with fitting the clutch cover, as described here: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post640694 . tl;dr- I tried multiple times and by following the instructions from the manual, that pull arm would have ended up even more pushed in that it is now.

If I remember I'll try readjust it at the next oil change, but honestly I see no issue running it as it is right now, because clutch is operating just as it should.

Just to confirm we've measured the same way, here's a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-photo_2019-06-12_20-40-31-jpg  
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines, APE manual CCT

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yea, that's way too close.

You don't have to pull the clutch cover.

* Take note (mark) the top of the vertical shaft AFTER REMOVING THE upper circlip.

Now, un-hook your clutch cable from the lower lever.

Rotate the lower clutch "arm/lever" COUNTER CLOCKWISE probably 2-3 splines from the main vertical shaft.
    (We're trying to get the lever in the correct position, eventually the marks will tell if it IS correct).

Put pressure (just by hand) on the lever inwards (as if engaging the clutch). The marks above should line up on
    the case and lever, If not, re-adjust another spline (one way or the other).

Those marks should line up with the clutch at rest, cable adjusted correctly.

Your now going to have to re-adjust all the play out of the main clutch cable.

Agreed, it shouldn't hurt anything running like that, except your about out of adjustability..

**AND, "measuring wise" we both measured the same to the moveable end of the cable "clip", BUT, I measured to the BRACKET BOLTED to the block, NOT the end of the cable (a difference of maybe 3mm's)
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-13-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    Scott

8. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243