Likes Likes:  224
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

Wow... Glad you found the issue for certain....

Yep, anything critical I have to work on, I start "fresh" the next available day. Keeps the boo boo's to a minimum.

While the engine is out, should that engine mount thread NOT clean up with enough material / threads, I'd opt for a Heli-Coil with red Loctite.
    I use them somewhat often on customers machines, steel threads are WAY better than aluminum and very easy to do (especially with the engine out).

The Loctite is NOT called for however once it's installed (and the inner threads cleaned (BEFORE SETTING UP) its now very, very solid.

B&S engine float bowls I modify (super thin) to drain all the fuel for storage:

Machining the bowl:

Insert threaded with Loctite:

Installed /done with drain bolt/washer:

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

2. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Fz6 2007, bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully it won't be necessary but at this point it seems that anything is possible, so... better to be prepared.
    I've now ordered a set of 10pcs M10*1.25 helicoil style threads.
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

4. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I cleaned and installed the water pump, bent the clutch boss locking tab and installed the rest of the clutch parts.

Anyone got any tips for installing the clutch cover? Didn't have time to fiddle with it too much today, but it seemed that it only caught the tip of the pull rod
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    Today I cleaned and installed the water pump, bent the clutch boss locking tab and installed the rest of the clutch parts.

Anyone got any tips for installing the clutch cover? Didn't have time to fiddle with it too much today, but it seemed that it only caught the tip of the pull rod
    From page 5-52, S2 manual, self explanatory really

(Admin, this expires in 7 days):

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-11-2018 at 05:31 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Thanks bigborer, Fz6 2007 thanked for this post
    Likes Fz6 2007 liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of year update;

Good news- this week the weather has wormed up a bit over freezing, warm enough to be able to work outside using knitted work gloves. And I received the new head gasket.

Bad news- The rest (valves and taps) had to go through the national post service, which is now displaying a big sign saying "November to January intl parcels are expected to be delayed due to seasonal reasons", so yeah... I still don't have them.

I did try my best to get the engine inside the frame before the new year, but... it just wasn't possible. We'll see how it goes next year...

Last but not least, big thanks to everyone who contributed here!

Best of luck to everyone and have a happy new year!

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've finally received the valves and cleaned, installed and lightly lapped 2 of them.

One of them however has some pitting, as shown in the picture.

Is this something normal/ safe to use? I've seen engines with much more than 7500 miles (as the seller claimed the donor bike had) and they didn't have any pitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-photo_2019-01-05_00-18-14-jpg  

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kinda odd.. Never seen that before.

I think I'd install the valves (just for that cylinder) with springs, etc.

Then flip the head upside down and fill with a liquid. We're looking to see if it leaks at all.

If it holds fluid over night, you should be ok...

*What kind of condition were they when you received them, rusted, carboned up, etc?
    Scott

11. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The intake valves were clean, and the exhaust valve had some carbon deposits - way more than it should have been for 7500 miles, but still a bit better than how the rest of my valves were before cleaning. Got them polished using a half worn scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease.

I'm 90% sure it would seal but who knows what caused that dent- it might also make that spot a starting point for a future fracture, especially as I tend to rev it as it should.

But finally the seller agreed to reship another valve. Hope I'll get it soon...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    The intake valves were clean, and the exhaust valve had some carbon deposits - way more than it should have been for 7500 miles, but still a bit better than how the rest of my valves were before cleaning. Got them polished using a half worn scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease.

I'm 90% sure it would seal but who knows what caused that dent- it might also make that spot a starting point for a future fracture, especially as I tend to rev it as it should.

But finally the seller agreed to reship another valve. Hope I'll get it soon...
    That, ^^^, is by far, the best thing you can do..
    Scott

14. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

If it's an exhaust valve I'd be afraid it burn and fail. They rely on full contact with the seat to cool and although that pit (caused from sitting most likely) is small, it could lead to failure if on the exhaust side and lead to a burned valve.

Glad you have another on the way.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

16. Likes bigborer liked this post

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031