Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ewink5 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie breaking reccomendations!

I've been riding motorcycles about 9 years, mostly street, some mountain riding. About 40,000 miles total so far. Two years ago I was in an accident where I applied the front brakes too quickly in street traffic, ~ 20 MPH. Nothing too serious, however several ribs broken and a sprained shoulder. After that incident I've done some experimenting with safer stopping techniques. I would seriously recommend using the "rear brakes" as "1st choice" with speeds over 10 MPH. Using both rear and front over 20 MPH can cause the bike to wobble, particularly sport bikes. With normal street riding, front brakes should be used gently and only at speeds less than 10 MPH, or to maintain a full stop.

2. Likes trepetti liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie breaking reccomendations!

Considering at least 70% of stopping power comes from the front brake of most modern bikes I would call your post both very dangerous and ill informed.

Please read up on safe braking techniques, this is a good place to start;
    Motorcycle Safety Site

4. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, Cloggy thanked for this post
    Likes visions liked this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I whole heatedly disagree with this, majority of your stopping power comes from the front. A mix of front and rear should be used, with the primary braking coming from the fronts. Rears will lock up quite quickly and cause a skid or high-side if you release it quickly enough by accident

How did your crash occur? did the front end slip out? or did you do a stoppie and go over the front? There's a possibility you have bad steering head bearings, or a issue with the suspension setup if you have wobbling using both brakes above 20 mph. I used to regularly practice my brake control going heavy only on the fronts from 130 mph down to 0 and never had shuddering or wobbling.
    Bikes:
    2009 Yamaha FZ6
    1979 Honda CM185T Custom Bobber

6. Likes trepetti, visions, trapezuchnap liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah....no....just, no. My fronts are my primary braking technique, as is recommended by everything read and everything I've experienced.
    Maybe you pulled too hard on your fronts and flipped over. Just don't pull so hard!
    The rear will lock up way too easily with the lack of weight back there during a braking event (mass shifts forward, almost all of it on the front wheel during braking).
    2005 Silver FZ6 | Dual LED headlights | Yamaha LED blinkers | 12V power socket | Bikemaster Superbike bar w/risers | MotoDynamic Smoke tail light | FE | Michelin PR4's | Puig Racing screen - Dark Smoke | Spencer-ized stock seat | >50K Miles

8. Likes visions liked this post
    Super Member Newbie breaking reccomendations! zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you didn't write "breaking" instead of "braking" intentionally, this is deeply bad advice. The FZ6 has extremely good front brakes and is weight-biased to the front anyway. 90%+ of the stopping power is on the front on this bike. Giving up on any chance of effective braking is NOT a good substitute for practice and maintenance.

10. Likes visions, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    100K Mile Member Newbie breaking reccomendations! VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the OP, please consider taking a motorcycle safety class, beginners or advanced. Braking is a topic that can save your life, unfortunately for the majority of riders, they fail to do it correctly. It takes routine practice which in turns to correct muscle memory. But before you can apply the proper techniques you must understand how the braking process works in terms of basic science
    VEGASRIDER...................Member # 35
    2006 Team Yamaha Blue FZ6, 2014 Ducati Multistrada ST

Link to 50,000 Miles Club

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...000+miles+club

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air & Qwest,
    Pants: Motoport Airmesh Kevlar
    Gloves: Motoport Race Gauntlet & Winter Gloves, First Gear Heated Gloves
    Jacket: A bunch
    Boots: Daytona Roadstar GTX, BMW Sports Dry Boots

12. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, Cloggy thanked for this post
    Likes visions liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Maybe OP was riding atop a grease slick???
    Low speeds basic stop I'll use either. During panic stops you'll have huge weight transfer which renders the rear brake potentially ineffective depending on conditions.

Go practice until muscle memory wins no matter what happens. Then practice in the corners and other less favorable conditions.

For the purpose of staying sharp I practice braking by doing this.
    Pick something that will come up like a mail box with a flag up. As soon as you see a mail box with a flag up and its safe to brake (not get ran over) brake at maximum effort for the conditions.

Unlike just braking at a random time, this method keeps you looking and riding. You could use a rock in the road. Road kill, a pot hole.... use your imagination and practice!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed with all the RESPONSES.

Almost all of my stops are using both front and rears, More so with the fronts.

As noted, muscle memory response... And "covering" both the brake petal and lever will also save
    valuable stopping feet...

About the only time you would use MOST pressure on the rear is if you hit a slick of sand/dirt in the road,
    go off road by accident, etc. That helps keep the ft end up and the rear can lock completely if you practice.

As posted above, PLEASE take some advanced courses. It will literally extend your life span....
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-18-2016 at 02:11 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

15. Likes visions, Cloggy liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon my french, but what in the flying **** are you talking about?!

Honestly I hope this thread gets deleted so a newbie doesn't find it and follow it.
    what do you mean i can't use the bike lane?

It's all good! Newbie breaking reccomendations! trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

+10000 on using both brakes. I teach MSF Basic Rider Course where we stress to always use both brakes. It is crucial to develop the skill and muscle memory to initiate panic stops without much time to think. And we all know the rear is of limited use at speed, so we need to learn to approach the thresholds of front and rear independently. To the OP, ditto on training. The front brake do most of the braking (I guess that why the front wheel has 2 disks), they just can't be grabbed. They need to be squeeeezed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, CRG RC2 levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, LED Headlights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies

18. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, ShoopCE, Cloggy liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast