Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What Octane do you use?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 87 Octane - Regular

28 54.90%
  • 89 Octane - Mid Grade

2 3.92%
  • 91 Octane - Premium

14 27.45%
  • Other

7 13.73%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What Octane gas do you use?

93 from BP or Shell. 12.1:1 is a high compression ratio (in my opinion). My truck is 10:1 if I remember correctly and it requires premium fuel. Probably not rational but it makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Premium fuel has the same energy content as regular fuel. The energy content is what gives the engine its power, in a nutshell. Therefore, premium won't give any sort of power boost over regular in a normal running engine, in most cases. Now, if you are putting a higher load on the engine, or some other unusual condition such as higher ambient heat, THEN premium can help. The ONLY job of premium is to increase knock resistance. Does your engine knock or ping? If not, then premium won't do much. All gas in the US comes from just a few refineries. Once refined, additive packages are added based on the buyers(shell, exxon, ect)request. Some buyers do not request strong additive packages, some have stronger additives for premium. If you go to stations that do "top tier" fuel, then the additives are the same regardless of octane level.

However, ethanol does change this a small amount. Ethanol has lower energy content, which is why the more ethanol that is added to gas, the less power it has and mpg. Ethanol does raise octane though. A gallon of ethanol has about 34% less energy content than a gallon of gas.

When it comes down to it, just use what the manual says, unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Using premium "just because" will only empty your wallet faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bcwalks2 View Post
    Wondering what Octane everyone is running. User manual states that 87 is fine, what do you guys do?
    I put some 91 shell gas in my bikes first fill but will be running 87 octane. its not really necessary to run higher octane gas in motor bikes it makes no difference in mileage. Its just good to hit it with some higher octane gas with additives such as shell gas to help clean up the system every once and a while. My bike was in storage for a year so some higher octane was in order to help with the fuel system. Once i run this tank out ill be puting in I think its 35ml of injector cleaner to really power house that fuel system. then every fill after that is going to be 87 octane. The lower octane gas also burns more easily if i am not mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about if you have a leo vinci exhaust, KNN filter and adjusted the fuel trough the co interface.
    Can you still run 87 octane than?
    I've been running 87 octane from BJs since I bought the bike. It has now 12k miles. From what I read in the past 87 was best... but dunno with mods...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234