Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  132
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

226 50.00%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

78 17.26%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

23 5.09%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

125 27.65%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    jtarkany (OP)
    Ronin Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession jtarkany's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

Lately I have seen quite a few posts, and have even contributed myself, that have focused on increased horsepower for the FZ6. Like you, I dislike the, "why didn't you just get an r6?" question, there are too many reasons to list why I chose the FZ6 over the R6.

That being said, I have a 2006 FZ6, factory specs for Horsepower and Torque are fairly respectable.

Horsepower: 96.55 HP (70.5 kW)) @ 12000 RPM
    Torque: 63.10 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft.lbs) @ 10000 RPM

Using the specs for a 2006 YZF-R6 as a comparison point (same year as my FZ6), and I would assume something that people who want a horsepower increase would shoot for, they are as follows:

Horsepower: 131.15 HP (95.7 kW)) @ 14500 RPM
    Torque: 68.00 Nm (6.9 kgf-m or 50.2 ft.lbs) @ 6930 RPM

As you can see, there is a respectable difference of about +35 Horsepower.

As many of you know from reading other threads and posts on this forum the typical 'alleged' horspeower gain from mods such as, airfilter, airbox, exhaust and Power Commander seem to be in the 5-10 horsepower range, narrowing the gap between the FZ6 and R6 to a difference of about 25 to 30 Horspeower at a cost of between $1,000 to $2,000, for an average cost of $200 per 1 Horsepower increase.

An alternative that I have not seen or heard discussed would be a straight up engine swap with an R6 Yes, I am being serious here, after all you can get a used R6 motor on ebay for between $1,500 and $3,000, which would give you a 35 Horsepower increase, at an average cost of $64 per 1 Horsepower increase.

Now for the big question: I have ridden with friends that have the R6, and it makes me wonder, how does this +35 Horsepower translate into real world performance, I mean it's not like they are kicking my a$$ in the twisties. And obviously there are other factors such as, rider, skill, tires, suspension, etc...

So if real world performance is the motivation for this Horsepower obsession, where should we, in order of priority, be putting our money to get the best real world performance possible out of our FZ's?
    If someone tells you, You can't do something, and you believe them, then YOU can't.

2. Thanks The Toecutter, mxgolf thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

I'm leaving my 2008 FZ6 bone stock. When I'm ready for an increase in horsepower, I'm planning on upgrading to an FZ1.
    Previous bikes: 1974 Honda CL 200, 2003 Yamaha XT 225, 2008 Yamaha FZ6

4. Thanks FZ1inNH, clrd_2_lnd, chunkygoat thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm not looking for more power, the R6 upgrade sounds intregueing. If you can buy and R6 motor you can also sell your FZ6 motor. If it is a clean swap, 1/1 with little mods, you could almost do it for a couple hundred bucks after the sale of the FZ6 motor.

Chances are though, you will need to update the computer as well. Still, could possibly be done with a PCIII.
    Bikes: 2006 FZ6 Red Yamaha,2005 FZ6 Blue Yamaha,

Previous Bikes:1980 CB750 Honda, SV650s Suzi, 1993 VT1100 Shadow Honda

In love with my UJM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by champion221elite View Post
    I'm leaving my 2008 FZ6 bone stock. When I'm ready for an increase in horsepower, I'm planning on upgrading to an FZ1.
    What he said.

7. Thanks FZ1inNH, clrd_2_lnd thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for the first one, but to change engine to R6 sounds nice
    2008 FZ6 S2 Midnight Black
    Bagster Black Leather Tank Cover - Frame and Front R&G Crash Protectors-JSR Racing Designs Swingarm Protectors
    Fazer Silver Radiators Brackets-Osram H4 Cool Blue 4000Kelvin-Osram Cool Blue Auxiliary & License plate light
    Right & Left DIY frame plugs-HLD Seat Cover-Red Tire Valve Caps - Black Holly Cross - Evil Blue Eye-Red Guardian Bell

:cyprus:

SuperFlanker Moderator Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession lonesoldier84's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The amount of money it takes to make the fz into something phenomenal performance wise is just not worth it.

It is a jack of all trades and does sport riding well enough for just about every single one of us here. When the time comes I want something with ridonculous performance I'll take the money i saved on performance mods and use it as a downpayment on 3-5 year old supersport thoroughbred.

In the meantime, the FZ gets me round a racetrack and round local roads quickly enough that i have no complaints.

RIP 58
    Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by champion221elite View Post
    Aside from slip on's and a few cosmetic mods that's all I will be doing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jtarkany View Post
    Now for the big question: I have ridden with friends that have the R6, and it makes me wonder, how does this +35 Horsepower translate into real world performance, I mean it's not like they are kicking my a$$ in the twisties. And obviously there are other factors such as, rider, skill, tires, suspension, etc...
    What's important to be fast in twisties:

technique:
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

bike:
    IIIIIII

You can have all the HP in the world and it won't make you faster in the corners... it will make you go faster in a straight line though...

So if real world performance is the motivation for this Horsepower obsession, where should we, in order of priority, be putting our money to get the best real world performance possible out of our FZ's?
    Put your money in track days and suspension, that's where you will get the most improvements in "speed", not by spending thousands of dollars in performance mods or a diff bike (unless you like to drag race in a straight line)... IMO
    David, aka Mr. Lucky!

Rider resume | Videos | Previous FZ6 Streetfighter: Pics & Details

12. Thanks jtarkany, FZ1inNH, abraxas thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just reminded me of a little story from yesterday's ride with John...

We're getting ready to go up Mount Baldy, and at the bottom of the mountain we stop in town to get gas... there, we see a dude in a flamboyant Ducati Corse red and white full leather suit and his $20k+ Ducati sitting there... he didn't look at me... lol we leave, and I see him half a block behind us...

We exit the town and not 5min later the Ducati comes flying by us on a straight before the climb... I smile in my helmet

John kept the 5-10 over speed limit (as usual), and same going up the mountain... including in turns... barely any brakes, just a smooth climb up... we slowly caught up to the Duc... I quickly realized that he was basically WOT between turns, and quite slow "in" turns... 5min later he was behind us and never tried to pass us in the straights again... p0wned by a Harley!!!!

He must have had 40HP on me at least...
    Last edited by Wavex; 05-16-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    David, aka Mr. Lucky!

Rider resume | Videos | Previous FZ6 Streetfighter: Pics & Details

14. Thanks jtarkany, FZ1inNH, paulinus, Lefty thanked for this post
    Moto Demi-God Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession Hellgate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wavex View Post
    just reminded me of a little story from yesterday's ride with John...

We're getting ready to go up Mount Baldy, and at the bottom of the mountain we stop in town to get gas... there, we see a dude in a flamboyant Ducati Corse red and white full leather suit and his $20+ Ducati sitting there... he didn't look at me... lol we leave, and I see him half a block behind us...

We exit the town and not 5min later the Ducati comes flying by us on a straight before the climb... I smile in my helmet

John kept the 5-10 over speed limit (as usual), and same going up the mountain... including in turns... barely any brakes, just a smooth climb up... we slowly caught up to the Duc... I quickly realized that he was basically WOT between turns, and quite slow "in" turns... 5min later he was behind us and never tried to pass us in the straights again

He must have had 40HP on me at least...
    Great story, thanks for sharing it.

I had a similar experience at a track day a couple of years ago. This guy in my session had a 999 or something, and all the matching Duc gear, and was faster than me on the straights, he had better tires and more torque too. But at the beginning of every corner I was about two feet off his butt, then he'd zoom away. Finally I got a wheel in on him and slammed the door in his face. Didn't see him the rest of the day.
    Pete

16. Thanks jtarkany, deeptekkie, champion221elite, FZ1inNH, Wavex thanked for this post

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast