Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sudden throttle disengage

Today while riding, I was doing about 70 on the expressway and the throttle suddenly quit working, was not shifting was not breaking couldn't hear any Rev when twisting the throttle either. Electrical control unit display stayed on and I watched my speed drop to about 50 as I started to make my way towards the side of the road to look at the bike. Before I even hit the rumble strips, yes I know it was before because I see the rubber mark on the yellow line, my front wheel started to wobble uncontrollably, and I eventually laid it down. On top of the insult that there is likely something wrong with the bike, I now get to replace the crankshaft cover which was entirely shredded. I'm curious if anybody else has had any similar experiences that may be able to shed light onto what the actual issue is. I would suspect the ECU, as I have had issues with the wiring to the display crunching and cutting off before, as well as a couple of other unexplained wobbling incidents, but not quite in this nature. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Sudden throttle disengage

A little more detail please?

Did the engine DIE / stop running?

Is the throttle cable turning the throttle bodies?

Are you loosing ALL electrical power or just the engine stalled?

Kinda rare for the ECU to fail, but with the limited info posted, I would suspect your RED KILL SWITCH has a bad connection..

This thread shows, with pic's what happens when the KILL SWITCH fails:
    http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-e...h-problem.html

(Posted about your CCT cover already)

BTW, did you repair / find the electrical wire "crunching issue" and fix it?
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-09-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, FinalImpact liked this post
    Super Member Sudden throttle disengage zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on your exact riding geometry, tire condition, suspension settings, etc. it's not that unusual to have a little wobble at some speed while coasting. Mine used to do that around 45 mph, but new tires and some suspension tweaks resolved it. It's entirely possible that you were focused on the other problem or worried and gripping the bars a little too tight, which can turn a minor wobble into a tank slapper in a big hurry.

It does sound like your engine died due to an electrical malfunction, but as Townsend mentioned, ECU problems are very rare and you should assume it's NOT the ECU until you've checked everything else. Step one is that kill switch: Either give it a good cleaning or just short across it and see if the bike starts and runs okay

5. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Sudden throttle disengage Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to out big family!Besides the kill switch or ignition switch and wiring (especially where the wires bend in the steering area) there might be a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor. Any error codes on your readout?

The front wobble should not occur unless there was a very bad condition in the road surface or you were hot n heavy under acceleration making the front light. Low front tire pressure with hard front brake might do the wobble. As already mentioned tire condition and steering geometry.

If you locked the rear you loose one of 2 gyroscopes and everything goes to a better possibility of unstable behavior.

Most important is you're on the forum and hopefully back on the bike asap.

Love that picture of you and Dad!
    Last edited by Motogiro; 04-09-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to take a look at that thread.
    The digital display stayed on through the whole incident.
    The display cable only "crunched" on one trip, and I'm assuming that's what it was based on error codes and other forum posts. My intention was to find the wiring to move it from the pressure point if it kept occurring. When the cable crunched everything kept working, I just didn't have a display.
    I kept rolling the throttle and getting zero response from the engine of any sort.
    I have to get the new timing cover on it (shredded that, if I didn't mention), before I can do any further testing with the kill switch.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be more specific: I'm not 100% certain the engine wasn't running. I wanted to look at my helmet video, but the SD card, of all things, flew out of its slot onto the road somewhere.
    I know at a complete stop once before I laid it down (I saw a car at the last moment before takeoff and stopped with the bars bent), and the engine died without having to hit the kill switch. I assumed it was a safety feature.

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would I check if the cable is turning the bodies? That's not a term I've heard used before.

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I probably should have mentioned first, I had the bike lowered with a kit and via the forks by the same mechanics that sold me the bike.
    Again, I know very little about the mechanics of bikes, I just enjoy them, so I'm not sure if that could be relevant to the wobbling.
    I've had it wobble on a few occasions that didn't have any apparent explanation, but not as violent as this incident. I had always thought it probably had to do with the way I rode.

13. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    to out big family!Besides the kill switch or ignition switch and wiring (especially where the wires bend in the steering area) there might be a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor. Any error codes on your readout?

The front wobble should not occur unless there was a very bad condition in the road surface or you were hot n heavy under acceleration making the front light. Low front tire pressure with hard front brake might do the wobble. As already mentioned tire condition and steering geometry.

If you locked the rear you loose one of 2 gyroscopes and everything goes to a better possibility of unstable behavior.

I didn't get any error codes.

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post

I wasn't using any of the brakes either, I was just trying to glide to the side of the road and let the engine stall.
    I had considered that maybe the throttle had kicked back in at the last second.
    I wish I had the video for an objective view.

17. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast