Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Sudden throttle disengage

Never thought about the spring tension but your right..

I've shortened two kick stands for members.

On my own bike, (if you remember), my stand BROKE off where your talking about, at the top, dumping me (0 MPH tip over).

With mine, there was a month wait for a new stand. I ended up re-enforcing it and welding it. I don't know how much time I spent to get it exact, couldn't do it. A knats hair off at the top, makes a bunch off at the end...It worked fine but the stand was higher or lower slightly(don't remember).

Pic's below show one side stand I shortened and welded. Cutting the shaft parallel with the base keeps EVERYTHING lined up, just shorter. The angle at the head is un-touched, spring tension un-touched, etc.

What I cut off at the bottom (about 3/4", prepped for MIG welding) :

Welded the foot back on and cleaned up:

Shortened stand compared to my stock side stand:
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-12-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

2. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now, that's how I do it.

If, who ever shortened it, did it at the top and DID NOT MOVE the spring mount so it's taught (as stock), sure, that stand, if it bounced around could cause issues.

I think the stand has to be down quite a bit before it kills the engine (I don't kill the engine often in this manner).

Now the OP was riding at a steady speed when he lost power, (looked pretty smooth from the helmet cam), but did mention a dip in the road.

Perhaps the dip caused the stand to "drop away" momentarily BUT it would have come back up as would have the engine power.

I don't think the side stand is the issue (un-less INTERNALLY crapped up), but just a shorter stand, IMO, no..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Read most but not all of this. That said, I am assuming the rear shock has a shortened link where the shocks mounts to the S/A and is fitted with the OEM black spring.

What setting is the rear shock on? It has 7 positions. Likely the lower one I suspect....

That spring is suitable for a rider under 175lbs. If you happen to be in the >225lbs + gear, that could make the nose super light and **possibly** explain the head shake.

When the nose is unloaded/bearing little weight, it is very easy for the rider to over steer the bars as they offer LITTLE TO NO RESISTANCE. The one thing that doesn't jive here is you were decelerating. That action lowers the nose. So usually this is apparent when accelerating. That said I have head shake from both accel and decel conditions. The decel was attributed to lost of traction over very fine gravel. The accel remains rider induced by right wrist.

I suggest you get near a wall, gear on, get on the bike and into riding position. Have a friend snap a photo of the bikes stance. Lets see the angles of all critical parts before you go ride again as this could end badly for you as is.

We don't want that!!!

If you can get it back to stock ride height, I would.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

6. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Read most but not all of this. That said, I am assuming the rear shock has a shortened link where the shocks mounts to the S/A and is fitted with the OEM black spring.

What setting is the rear shock on? It has 7 positions. Likely the lower one I suspect....

That spring is suitable for a rider under 175lbs. If you happen to be in the >225lbs + gear, that could make the nose super light and **possibly** explain the head shake.

When the nose is unloaded/bearing little weight, it is very easy for the rider to over steer the bars as they offer LITTLE TO NO RESISTANCE. The one thing that doesn't jive here is you were decelerating. That action lowers the nose. So usually this is apparent when accelerating. That said I have head shake from both accel and decel conditions. The decel was attributed to lost of traction over very fine gravel. The accel remains rider induced by right wrist.

I suggest you get near a wall, gear on, get on the bike and into riding position. Have a friend snap a photo of the bikes stance. Lets see the angles of all critical parts before you go ride again as this could end badly for you as is.

We don't want that!!!

If you can get it back to stock ride height, I would.
    I can do that.
    I only weigh 135 sopping wet.

I'm not incredibly familiar with bikes, but if you describe where to look on the rear shock, I can probably find it and figure out what setting it's on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Now, that's how I do it.

If, who ever shortened it, did it at the top and DID NOT MOVE the spring mount so it's taught (as stock), sure, that stand, if it bounced around could cause issues.

I think the stand has to be down quite a bit before it kills the engine (I don't kill the engine often in this manner).

Now the OP was riding at a steady speed when he lost power, (looked pretty smooth from the helmet cam), but did mention a dip in the road.

Perhaps the dip caused the stand to "drop away" momentarily BUT it would have come back up as would have the engine power.

I don't think the side stand is the issue (un-less INTERNALLY crapped up), but just a shorter stand, IMO, no..
    I don't think they shortened the stand, the stand has a little kick of space between the ground and the end of the foot where it doesn't make contact.

I did ask the original dealer who did the shortening, he hasn't responded yet.

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that stand wasn't shortened, (with the bike lowered that much), the side stand wouldn't give much "lean" to speak of.

Especially with the stock forks / sag..

In any case, I don't think it's your issue (un-less internally that switch is rusted up / crap inside / bad connection)
    Scott

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that stand wasn't shortened, (with the bike lowered that much), the side stand wouldn't give much "lean" to speak of.

Especially with the stock forks / sag..

In any case, I don't think it's your issue (un-less internally that switch is rusted up / crap inside / bad connection)
    Since I had issues with the display cable shorting out, who's to say the kill switch cable isn't in the same path, and that is crunched and shorted?

14. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BitesWhenBitten View Post
    Since I had issues with the display cable shorting out, who's to say the kill switch cable isn't in the same path, and that is crunched and shorted?
    Nothings saying it's not.

You had one issue, "crunching wires" (a one off issue), has that been found and fixed?
    If not, perhaps it's time to cut some insulation away and start digging

Second, the engine power cut off Red Kill Switch is the first thing I'd look at as it's a known issue.(Already stated)

Want to eliminate it altogether? Follow the two wires red KILL SWITCH wires INTO the MAIN HARNESS AND TIE THEM TOGETHER. This will be where the switch plugs into the main harness, under the battery.

Now the switch, possibly associated with "crunchy wires" is completely eliminated.
    Scott

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothings saying it's not.

You had one issue, "crunching wires" (a one off issue), has that been found and fixed?
    If not, perhaps it's time to cut some insulation away and start digging

Second, the engine power cut off Red Kill Switch is the first thing I'd look at as it's a known issue.(Already stated)

Want to eliminate it altogether? Follow the two wires red KILL SWITCH wires INTO the MAIN HARNESS AND TIE THEM TOGETHER. This will be where the switch plugs into the main harness, under the battery.

Now the switch, possibly associated with "crunchy wires" is completely eliminated.
    That sounds like a plan, I was watching the one off crunch issue to see if it kept happening or was just a fluke.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The "crunch issue", un-less you found it literally with a bad wire, or turning the steering at a specific spot, etc, may NOT EXIST..

The kill switch poor /crappy / worn contacts, can come and go until it gets worse and eventually fails altogether..

Sounds like the crunchy wire issue was your first "come and go" warning. The "engine cut off altogether" was your the "KILL SWITCH CONTACTS FAILED altogether"...

I'm just trying to put all your issues in one "pot". To me, it points to the switch..
    Scott

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456