Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Paul Walker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: RIP Paul Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ssky0078 View Post
    I grew up in the Seattle in the 80s/90s and the first fast and the furious wasn't released until 2001. The concept of the Japanese sleeper car was already popular in my area almost 10 years before the movie came out. If people didn't do the performance mods, the custom sound system was the next big thing with the ricer owners. IMO the whole ricer culture sprouted from the asian kids wanting to have something comparable to the 'Merikan muscle cars like Mustang GT's, Camaro RS, Trans AMs, etc that were being released around that time and as far back as the late 60s. The caucasian community wasn't exactly nice to the asian community and a lot of racial sterotypes like 'oriental' and jokes like 'if you come up on someone doing 15 mph under the speed limit on the freeway its a FOB (fresh of the boat, as in human trafficking ship)' So the younger kids that were my age, first gen, maybe second gen immigrants all got into the rice racers.

The thing is kids have been racing cars forever. My dad had a souped up Ford Fairlane that he would race people stoplight to stoplight in the 60s. His friend died in a roll over accident when he was 18. Basically race/ethnicity and time/era doesn't matter in this equation. People will always have cars, people will always find a way to make them go faster and some people will die in the process. Until our ability to drive is taken away and the Google Self-Driving Car is imposed on all of us, we will be doing what we can for a thrill behind the wheel.
    Please, when I said "ricer" car, I only meant an old piece of crap Honda Civic with loud exhaust and a rear spoiler the size of Boeing's 747 wing, haha.

I meant not to bring in race into this at all.

I didn't know that there was a pejorative meaning to the "ricer" term. As far as I knew it meant an old piece of crap car souped up with meaningless non performance mods for "impressive" looks only.

Anyway, I just wanted to clear it up.
    Last edited by PosterFZ6; 12-04-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

But I haven't seen a primered civic in any f&f movies.

Import/Sport Compact Racing/Tuner Scene : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

Civic started the biggest upbringing in the import scene and since it Came out long before the movies I could hardly blame that.

An old piece of crap to you is someone elses pride and joy. I have a 96 cutlass supreme 2 door. 114k miles in great condition. I'm putting a dual exhaust bumper from an older model 3.4 DOHC car on it with dual exhaust and a factory 05 Malibu spoiler. Doesn't make it rice. Some people had project cars that they work on while DDing. Be careful, one of those civics may have a k20 swap in it. You may get hustled at the track. A fully gutted civic probably weighs 1500 pounds. If you can even get it close to 250-300hp it will haul ass.
    Last edited by FZ09Bandit; 12-04-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    On scene establishing Medical Command.

Junior Member RIP Paul Walker Gelvatron's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel bad for his kid and wife, he chose to put himself in a terrible situation and left behind two people who he should be taking care off that's the real tragedy

4. Thanks Lefty, FZ09Bandit thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying that the tuner scene / racing scene wasn't around before the series started, I'm just saying it wasn't popular where I live. Racing here was done on tracks, bumper-to-bumper cruising was virtually non-existant, and the only primered cars driving around belonged to the junkies and hippies.

Now, I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a junked out import with rust, spray-paint, duct-taped on wing, bald tires, and oversized exhaust. It reminds me of the skater plague that was going around in the 90's. It may just be my twisted perception but I'm pretty much always going to associate that guy with a part of society that I don't like and won't be sad to see go. Unfortunately, it's always going to be replaced by something similar.
    2008 FZ6 Fastest Black / R6 forks / homemade killernoodle slave lever clone / dual headlight mod / integrated tail indicators / lighted under-carriage / Spencer Seat Mod / Renthal Road Medium Bars / Motocentric sport bags - Tail bag - tank bag

6. Thanks PosterFZ6 thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Just a little reminder....

Fallen Riders/In Memory of Condolences and well wishes only. Any other posts will be deleted. This is NOT the place to discuss whether a rider was right or wrong!!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

8. Thanks Kazza thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Just a little reminder....

Fallen Riders/In Memory of Condolences and well wishes only. Any other posts will be deleted. This is NOT the place to discuss whether a rider was right or wrong!!

And for the record - hot rodding was well under way long before these ever came out. Take it somewhere else!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

10. Thanks Kazza, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar RIP Paul Walker Kazza's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

This is what should be discussed here, NOT boy racers and who was right or wrong!

Paul Walker anonymously bought young couple an engagement ring | News.com.au

He was a selfless and generous man, by all accounts. He did a lot of charity work and was a nice guy. Only now are a lot of his good deeds coming out.
    Karen

Scorpion CF Cans; Ohlins rear shock; Ottimoto rear sets; Powerbronze belly pan; CF heel plates; Woodcraft sliders; Radguard; Clear indicators/tail-light; Red anodised oil cap, clutch adjuster & piston style valve caps; D3-Components FE; Yamaha dark smoke screen & Topbox; Rizoma black bars, red rear fluid reservoir, & bar ends; Pazzo std levers; Oxford heated grips; 15T sprocket; 12V power outlet; Healtech gear indicator & speedo healer; PCIII

#58 RIP Sic

12. Thanks FinalImpact, motojoe122, PosterFZ6 thanked for this post
    Go Naked- Its liberating RIP Paul Walker agf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Chris Atlee

I lost a riding mate last Friday morning on his commute to work.
    In a post last week, I wrote this about him:

So when the encumberance cleared after 6 months I told a guy(Chris), that parked next to me everyday that I had the honda for sale. he had a mate (Steve) looking for a bike. They came around, Chris knows his bikes so he looked it over, asked if a test ride was an option. I said to them that if Steve was happy to buy it if Chris dropped it, a ride was an option. Chris came back told Steve to buy it or he,Chris, would.

Chris was a very experienced rider 25 years worth and had bought a track bike a few years ago so he could improve further and satisfy all his riding desires without doing it on the road. I only rode a short distance with him once, and he was a courteous and confident rider.

But most of all he was a really nice guy, he got married about 15 months ago and he had talked to me every morning about his upcoming wedding and his girl Tammy.
    I will miss him, and I am sure his closer friends will find a big hole in their lives that will never fill again
    RIP Chris
    cheers
    Adrian

MODS:
    Delkovics, OGGY KNOBS, tank protector, rim tape, Sharkskin grip buddies, FAZR6's decals & FE, swingarm plugs, HVMP Bar-Ends, AMHeadlight Protector, BEOWULF Rad Guard, Stebel horn, HEALTECH Gear ind., tender wiring, HEL s/s brake lines, JPR Levers, KN's clutch mod, custom seat, oso2k rearsets, townsendFJR1300's lock bracket, Barkbusters, carbon front fender extender, https://www.facebook.com/adrian.flint1

14. Thanks JeffSez59, LFZ6, Kazza, FZ09Bandit, Humperdinkel, FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar RIP Paul Walker Kazza's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

So sorry Ade.

Thinking of you
    Karen

Scorpion CF Cans; Ohlins rear shock; Ottimoto rear sets; Powerbronze belly pan; CF heel plates; Woodcraft sliders; Radguard; Clear indicators/tail-light; Red anodised oil cap, clutch adjuster & piston style valve caps; D3-Components FE; Yamaha dark smoke screen & Topbox; Rizoma black bars, red rear fluid reservoir, & bar ends; Pazzo std levers; Oxford heated grips; 15T sprocket; 12V power outlet; Healtech gear indicator & speedo healer; PCIII

#58 RIP Sic

16. Thanks FZ09Bandit thanked for this post
    Go Naked- Its liberating RIP Paul Walker agf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
    So sorry Ade.

Thinking of you
    Thanks Karen, Chris was one of those blokes that every girl would hope to find as a partner and the kind of bloke every man hope to be able to count as a friend. He wasnt in my super close friendship group, but I am glad I met him and talked with him about his life's aspirations.
    He had a wicked sense of humour and a dedication to his friends and family.
    his passing has rocked me a bit, I'm more upset the more I think about him,
    its just so incredibly sad

Everyone,
    be careful out there
    Last edited by agf; 04-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    cheers
    Adrian

MODS:
    Delkovics, OGGY KNOBS, tank protector, rim tape, Sharkskin grip buddies, FAZR6's decals & FE, swingarm plugs, HVMP Bar-Ends, AMHeadlight Protector, BEOWULF Rad Guard, Stebel horn, HEALTECH Gear ind., tender wiring, HEL s/s brake lines, JPR Levers, KN's clutch mod, custom seat, oso2k rearsets, townsendFJR1300's lock bracket, Barkbusters, carbon front fender extender, https://www.facebook.com/adrian.flint1

18. Thanks Kazza, FZ09Bandit, Humperdinkel thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast