Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Wavex (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry OT: Post your scam stories

This may be worth "stickying" as it may save ppl a lot of troubles...

Here is what just happened to me this week, it was pretty obvious if you've heard about typical scam methods, but they're getting smarter!

I am selling the OEM plastics of my gsxr, and here is a little email correspondence that I thought I'd share... I wish I could kick that guy's ass...

1)
    ===========================================
    Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 10:57 PM
    Subject: MOTORCYCLE/SCOOTER

I saw your advert on Craigs-list and am interested in buying the item from you. I will be responsible for the shipment to my location. Let me know the asking price. Regards

2)
    Subject: RE: MOTORCYCLE/SCOOTER
    To: "'Marcus Bradley'" <[email protected]>
    Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 4:05 PM

Hello,

Price is $900 + shipping for everything.

Rgds,

D~
    3)
    Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:22 PM
    To: David ******

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm currently in UK and want to ship the item down here. There won't be any problem with the shipment 'cos my shipping broker will handle all necessary things,I will like to know the current condition and will appreciate it if you can send me some recent pictures Let me know.

Regards, Marcus
    4)
    To: "'Marcus Bradley'" <[email protected]>
    Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 3:13 PM

Marcus,

All pics are included here (click the links): 2005 GSXR-600 Mint plastics

Shipping to the UK is fine, but will probably be quite expensive for international shipping… Do you have paypal?

Rgds,

David
    5)
    Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:56 PM
    To: David ******

Am very excited with the condition. This is what am going to do in term of payment, I have a friend in the state who is owing me some money, i will instruct him to makeout a money order or cashier's check to you in the amount he's owing me and as soon as you get the payment cashed, you will deduct your money and you will handover my balance to my shipping broker at the time of pickup or you will send it to them. I think this payment method is okay by you, so get back to me with your contact information ASAP because i also have some other goods to pickup in the state. Get back to me with your contact info for payment processing.

Regards, Marcus
    6)
    Hey Marcus,

The Scams

See the second paragraph on this website.

Paypal up front only.

Thanks,

David

Anyone not as lucky and lost some $$?
    David, aka Mr. Lucky!

Rider resume | Videos | Previous FZ6 Streetfighter: Pics & Details

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: OT: Post your scam stories

I've seen a lot of these as of late. I'm trying to sell my buddy's engagement ring for him on Craigslist and all I'm seeing are "overseas buyers". I find some of them pretty hysterical, one guy offered me $800 over my asking price (which was already set a little higher than I wanted) because he needed it right away as a birthday gift for his son. Remember this is a diamond engagement ring. Oh and I had to ship it to some place in Europe and couldn't use Paypal for some reason or another.

Definitely have to be careful out there. A few years ago I was almost taken by a guy when I was trying to sell my Xbox 360. He said he would xfer the money to my Paypal when he received confirmation from Fed Ex that his package had been picked up. (dumb I know ) But he offered to use his Fed Ex account for shipping AND let me keep the $30 shipping fee I had set up in the auction. Thankfully Fed Ex saved my A$$ by canceling the pickup because it had been flagged as a fraudulent account. Ever since then I've been very weary of scams through Ebay or C-list.
    Last edited by AJ_rider; 06-19-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Rides
    2006 FZ6 - SEXIER Metallic Red
    Mods: 2 Brothers Exhaust in Polished Aluminum w/ 2 Bros FE kit, FS6 Frame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, TCP Seat Cowl, Red Rim Stripes, Power Commander III, K&N Air Filter, Grip Puppies, 15t Vortex Front Sprocket, Speedohealer V4, Black Pazzo Racing Levers, Lucky's custom footpeg inserts, Yamaha Lower Cowl
    Soon: CBR1100xx Clip-ons

2006 Tacoma Double Cab - Faster Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to stick it to him. These people are pathetic.

Dateline did a special where they tracked the scam all way to it's source, which ended being somewhere in Switzerland (after going through the states, and South Africa). It was definitely a good episode and made a lot of douchebags sweat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been getting a lot of those too! Mostly through Craigslist. Recently, I got one from a netvibes . com, almost looks like a blog entry, but pasted in an email. I smelled SCAM and deleted it. Anytime, they say "I like your item" without mentioning it. You can pretty much guess its a scam.
    Last edited by Admin; 04-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.

5. Thanks Fred thanked for this post
    Thread Killer OT: Post your scam stories oldfast007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, Marcus from the UK wanted to by limited Peavy guitar last year, same scenario !! It's getting too much, this crap has got to cease but never will.
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Stop looking at my title! necrotimus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife almost sent money Western Union overseas for tickets. She assumed that the purchase would be protected but after making some phone calls to Western Union found out that there was no protection and if the money was sent then that would be it. She told the guy she sent the money and never sent it. We call all hope he got several flat tires on the way. It all looked very legit but it wasn't.

Just take your time and do your research and you can protect yourself. DON'T EVER BE IMPULSIVE ABOUT SENDING MONEY.
    [Insert witty comment here]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an email last week using my daughters email address asking for money in Zimbabwe. It wasn't how my daughter writes, so I thought it was a scam. It wasn't - it was her all right.. All the banks were closed and no ATM machines work there. I guess I was being too careful, but sent her the money anyway, lol.

9. Thanks MarinaFazer thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL - that would be like my friend in the Peacecorps emailing me for cash but it sounding like a total scam. I'd feel pretty bad if she really needed it for whatever reason...kinda amusing to think about since nothing bad happened.
    2006, red, RaceTech full front suspension , 19,000 miles and counting TRADED FOR

2008 DRZ400-Supermoto, RaceTech rear end, Yosh exhaust system, jet kit, etc.....

Running Moderator OT: Post your scam stories CHEMIKER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang David, that was sneaky. Good you caught it. Most of the ones I have gotten from Craigslist are way more blatant, like women in Russia that are planning a trip here and looking for a good time LOL.

I don't know if they would lead to scams or not, but I don't even respond to inquiries where they ask for information that's in my ad. Like I got one the other day "what's the model number" when the model number was clearly in the title and body of the ad. I'm just suspicious of those.

Even if it's not a scam, if the person is dumb enough to inquire about a product without reading the description, I don't want to deal with them anyway.
    Clutch lever hard to pull? Throttle twitchy? Try my cable lubricator !

Scourge Of Humanity SovietRobot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a very generic nigerian scam. I would've stopped replying after the 2nd email.

I myself have never fell victim to one of those, but my brother in law did.
    He was selling a jeep and the guy sent him a bad check, which he thankfully didn't cash, so he didn't lose $1,500

Good job on calling him out though!
    2006 FZ6 Uberfast Red/Black - Two Brothers Exhaust - K&N Filter - PCIII USB - Decat/DeAIS
    R6 Forks/Brakes - Galfer SS Lines - ASV Levers - FZ1 Bars - Puig DB - FE - R&G Sliders
    RK Gold 520GXW Chain - Renthal 15T Front / Supersprox 48T Rear Sprockets
    Watsen Flushmounts - Podlights - Dual Low Beams - Stebel Nautilus - Speedohealer
    Cortech Sport Tribags - Nelson-Rigg Mag Tank Bag - Shoei RF-1000 - A* Leather

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast