Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: OT: Post your scam stories

Quote Originally Posted by brad81987 View Post
    My dad had two snowmobiles for sale quite a few years ago. Some dude contacted him from the Dominican Republic, offering about $1000 above what he was asking for each one...... didn't know they get snow there. Same sort of thing- he owed someone money so he was going to send my dad a check for the sale plus what he owed this guy. My dad was suppose to cash the check and give the balance to this guy when he showed up to pick up the machines. My dad went ahead and had this guy send the check- came in a UPS box from Saudi Arabia..........WTF?....... from a bank in Louisiana. So he took it to his banker and they called the bank in Louisiana and sure enough it was fake but they faxed a copy down there and they said it was dead-nuts-perfect for one of their cashiers checks, just a non-existent account number.
    You'd be surprised how many people actually do cash these checks. Although most banks won't allow people to cash them unless they have enough funds in their account (so the bank doesn't lose out if it is a fake check) which prevents alot of people from cashing them.

I used to work as a teller before I graduated from college in December. I'd say on average at my branch we'd catch 1-2/week, and then there were probably some that went through. Without calling the other bank, there's often no way to tell if it's a scam. Unless of course the customer volunteers the information about how they got it when they bring you the check. A lot of banks now require tellers to ask the customer "Do you know the person that gave you this check, what is the reason you received this check, etc."

I've had people that insisted on depositing the check when we were 100% sure it was fraudulent. They just refused to believe that was the case because they were so excited about getting extra "free" money. Even after explaining the fees that they would receive they still wanted to. IIRC, they ended up closing their account because we refused to deposit a fraudulent check.

Whippersnapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fast blue one View Post
    I love this guy sticking it to them............

BBC NEWS | Africa | Turning the tables on Nigeria's e-mail conmen
    I wonder if I could get bike money this way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy with the email address [email protected]com (and name Larry it appears) is attempting to "SELL" me specific parts I listed on the forum in the "parts wanted" thread.

BEWARE...he's scamming. Even if he's hacked someone else's account...don't send this guy money.

FYI!

4. Thanks OZXJR thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I received an email response to my for-sale ad:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes...lue-front.html

Today I received this email from Stephie Ngene, [email protected] and wanted to add her information to the list of scammers:

"dear can i trust you?"

Dear Friend,

Greeting and how are you today.I am Miss Stephie Ngene, the Only Daughter of the late Micheal Ngene Uzuzu, my father was a gold and cocoa merchant based in Accra Ghana and Abidjan (Ivory Coast).I have the intention of investing this sum with your care and supervision in your country with a percentage that will be negotiated among us.

I know this mail may come to you as a surprise,since we have not known or written before.And he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their business trips recently. Before his death, he called me bedside him and told me that he has the sum of $6.500, 000USD deposited in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan Ivory Coast, that he used my name being the only Daughter as the next of kin in deposited fund.
    If you are willing to cooperate with me let me know so that I will furnish you with more details on the next step for smooth achievement of this risk free transaction.Contact me on this private email [email protected] for more details and all the legal documents of the deposited money and my photos.

Sincerly,
    Stephie Ngene.

With your experiences, is there anything I can do to cause inconvenience to her in return?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my line of work, we would consider this an attempt to use you as a mule for money laundering. You could report it to FinCEN but I doubt you'd get anywhere with it. They send these out en masse.
    2008 FZ6 Fastest Black / R6 forks / homemade killernoodle slave lever clone / dual headlight mod / integrated tail indicators / lighted under-carriage / Spencer Seat Mod / Renthal Road Medium Bars / Motocentric sport bags - Tail bag - tank bag

Ride like you own it..! raja777m's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wavex View Post
    This may be worth "stickying" as it may save ppl a lot of troubles...

Anyone not as lucky and lost some $$?
    1. I posted a laptop on ebay, the guy is ready to pay me the price i listed with 100$ for shipping to africa, and he mentioned the fastest shipping possible as he is giving as a b'day present(too senti right, i fell for that) and asked me to add a b'day card too(what a fool i'm , i fell for this too). He send me a fake paypal transaction email(i'm new to selling on ebay). Sent out the laptop on monday morning, USPS, insurance and tracking. Came back in the evening, i don't see my money yet, called ebay and they said it is fraud(after fighting with him, he gave me a ebay gift card for 100$, which got expired before i use FREE MONEY Doesn't stay with me). So went to USPS next morning, asked them to return my package(paid 10$), finally after few months, USPS lost my package and claimed the money for the insurance and again after few months, i got my money. But, that was a bad exp, that A$$# played with my emotions too.
    2. I once posted a post on rideshare as i'm going from my place to san jose and returning in particular dates in a rented car, and i want to save some money.
    After a day i posted, someone sent me a text message asking for a personal chauffeur for her daughter who will be coming to my place for some medical research. Job is to drive her around when she needed(8 hours per week, and 6 hrs over the weekend). They'll pay me for rental car, gas and some money for me for driving her around. They actually sent me a fake check(with some extra money) and asked me to pay/M.O to someone(the extra money), I said(based on previous exp) as soon as i see funds in my account (once the check is cleared), i'll pay them. The check got bounced and BOFA charged me 12$ for such check.
    3. I posted my 04Sentra, craigslist for 3500$, he agreed to pay 4300$, where i have to pay 800$ for the shipping/transport company via money order, he actually gave a fake phone number for shipping company, i called the number and found out fake, I told the same thing to him and he said, I'm fake and he will call FBI or something, i immediately sent an address and said, send'em all, i'll be waiting for them..! I've send another email saying, no cops didn't came . Similar scam, two more people in the same day..!
    Last edited by raja777m; 04-11-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    08 FZ6: SOLD
    ~12v Outlet and USB~Red Reflective Rim stickers~Cortech Micro 2.0 Tank Bag~Carbon Fibre Frame Sliders~Scorpio SR-i900R~FE unknown brand~Sony AZ1VR and handle bar mount~Sony AS100VR with helmet mount~OPT7 LED underglow~Nokya H4 and H7 Arctic white~Go Cruise 2 Aluminum throttle Lock~Garmin Nuvi 1390 with suction cup~FZ09's Handlebar mirrors~park lights, FZ1 style~

https://raja777m.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/tamedbeast-fz6/

8. Thanks motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Likes trepetti liked this post

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456