Tire Status?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
You're getting close, but you've got lots of miles left on that rear. Forget about the front, lol, you can do two - three rear tires before getting a new front. I've got almost 10,000 miles on my stock BT rear...it's at the wear bars finally, but since I commute, I'm holding off while my new rear tire sits in the garage. Yours look fine...

if the rear is squaring off, ride a good full day (5 hours or so) in the canyons and it'll feel better!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
There are wear bars on the tire for this very reason...I can't see them in the pic but the tires look ok to me.

Here is an example of what a wear bar looks like:

2449159214_070d0ba6f0.jpg

See the little nub of rubber in the tread groove near the edge of the tire (near bottom of pic)? That's one of the wear bars.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
someone told me once that depending on how you ride, you'll spend more money on Tires than fuel!! Well, at the rate these tires are being used, I'll say not true....but hopefully the Qualifier sitting in my garage will be stickier at the price of mileage...but it was freeeeeeee

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
rear still looks ok. best thing to do is go buy urself a tire depth guage. ny legal limit is 2/32 after that it is deemed not safe. I mean on dry ground you will be fine under that but any wet it will get iffy. ur in CA so i dont know what their legal limit is. basically if you get pulled over and its under and you have a cop that knows what they are looking at could be a stupid ticket. i would say you should be fine for that amount of miles just keep an eye on it cuase once it gets low it goes fast. as far as the front your deff. still good. as far as plugging a tire your out of ur mind! I wouldnt use a tire that has gone through a track day... just a thought plus i wouldnt use a tubeless tire that has allready been mounted once.... every time you stretch the bead it weakens it. my life and bike arent worth it... another thing to remember the lower the tread gets the less resistant it gets to debre on the road... on another note clean that bike.. that wheel is nasty

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
A tire compound loses some of its characteristics after it goes through a number of heat cycles, if I remember correctly. People that ride on the track should know more about it than me....or google it :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I know that much...but what would be wrong with it after ONE trackday?

DUH!!! You didn't buy it at a dealership for 200% of what you can get it for online or 300% of what you can get a quality take off for.

If it has considerable tread left, is not old/dry, and is not bluing then you're generally fine to go rail....talk to anyone who actually knows and they will tell you the same. There is a reason people line up for and call dibs on take offs like they are going out of style.

Streat tires like the qualifier are much less sensitive to heat cycles than a slick would be. When you stop for lunch after flying through the canyons all morning, your tire will cool off. When you park your bike that night after flying through the canyons all afternoon, your tire will cool off. If your buddy was running qualifiers at the track then he was not going THAT fast, period. Of course, a brand new tire is choice #1.

What size is the front that you have?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
rear still looks ok. best thing to do is go buy urself a tire depth guage. ny legal limit is 2/32 after that it is deemed not safe. I mean on dry ground you will be fine under that but any wet it will get iffy. ur in CA so i dont know what their legal limit is. basically if you get pulled over and its under and you have a cop that knows what they are looking at could be a stupid ticket. i would say you should be fine for that amount of miles just keep an eye on it cuase once it gets low it goes fast. as far as the front your deff. still good. as far as plugging a tire your out of ur mind! I wouldnt use a tire that has gone through a track day... just a thought plus i wouldnt use a tubeless tire that has allready been mounted once.... every time you stretch the bead it weakens it. my life and bike arent worth it... another thing to remember the lower the tread gets the less resistant it gets to debre on the road... on another note clean that bike.. that wheel is nasty

When I raced I swapped tires all the time slick to rain, to road, etc. and no problems at all, in fact I never bought a new race tire, ALL of my race tires were used. For $20 a pop I got slicks that had one race day on them, ie: one practice and three 25 minute races. I had neither the cash nor the skill to justify brand new tires each race day.

In fact my stock 020s are sitting in my shed in case I trash one of my new Diablos.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So I mounted the 190 rear tire today. The Qualifier leans way better in to the turns than my stock Bridgestones (I'm sure the squaring didn't help), but even though it's larger, it reacts quick.

I don't ride at the level of track speeds and all that, so it feels fine! Plus, fyi: according to the dealer and other moto instructors, the 190 will maybe 'react slower or require more effort' but contrary to what I was told, it will have a LARGER contact patch in turns...which is fine with me.

Anyways, for those interested in a 190 tire, even the dealer agrees it's unnecessary, but they also agreed that since it was free it was fine to mount. They were right. Feels great!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Difficult to see your wear bars as stated previously. The UK limit for a motorcycle is 1MM depth across the whole carcass. People often say that it is over three-quarters of the carcass, and causes confusion. I would really like a UK Policeman to quantify this for me.

Wear bars are not all at the same depth either, you may think that the wear bar demonstrates the absolute minimum but it may be below that.
The simple answer is you need to know your local laws and how they will be interpreted by the Police.

Nelly