A new exhuast v gain inBHP

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

If I was to get a new exhaust system for my S2 would I get extra BHP ? and if so, how much and what would be the best system to buy?

If not, what else can I do? eg re-map ? etc.

Thanks

Mark
:thumbup:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
To achieve the best results, you will need a PCIII and probably a new air filter. Though which map and exhausts I do not know. I am quite interested in this as well. Lets hope someone has a good answer.

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Shinn
Thanks.

I visited your neck of the wood in September, had a great time in Vancouver, Jasper and Banff before flying back from Calgery.

Regards

Mark:thumbup:

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
You won't get masses of extra power if that's what you're hoping for, maybe 1 or 2 extra BHP to the top end, but what you will get is a nice deep raspy sound building to a manic wail on the move, a good midrange boost and much more smoothness and refinement in the power delivery, especially if you ditch your cat and use a PCIII with a BMC filter or similar. It's quite a big outlay, but if you use your bike every day it's well worth it, it really takes away the budget feel and lets loose the sporting edge inherited from the R6.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard that you can get approximately 10 hp increase with the right tuning. I've seen a 6 horsepower increase done for sure with a gentleman in my area. He was using a two bros exhaust for sure, not sure what else he had.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
10bhp sounds like idle bar room boasting to me, even 6 would be pushing the limits of everyday tuning with off the shelf bits, anything more would require work on the heads and cams. I'd be interested to hear what the guy in your area has had done and would like to see his dynograph. Not all dynos read the same and air temp can make a surprisingly large difference to results, so it is possible he did get an indicated 6 extra somewhere.

The Missus has the Remus Revolution cans and cat eliminator that comes with them, plus a BMC filter and custom map, peak power went from the 98 stock bhp up to 99.8, but she did get about a 4bhp gain in the midrange. Other owners I've spoken to all say about the same thing, about 100bhp peak with a fatter midrange.

As I say though, the biggest improvement you get with a little tuning work is the civillity of the machine, much smoother running, especially at low revs and a much improved throttle response.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard that you can get approximately 10 hp increase with the right tuning. I've seen a 6 horsepower increase done for sure with a gentleman in my area. He was using a two bros exhaust for sure, not sure what else he had.

I can see gaining 6 horsepower on a fz6 with a full exhaust system and pcIII and a good tune.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Something I thought of yesterday, Fuchs and Dynojet dynamometers will give very different results as well, so there's another variable to chuck in the mix.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can see gaining 6 horsepower on a fz6 with a full exhaust system and pcIII and a good tune.

You are right 6 to 7 total hp gain is about right. The big benefit it the mid-range, torque and throttle response; night and a day. And remember, torque wins the drag race! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i put a PCIII, A BMC airfilter, a modded airbox, and a set of Two Brothers titanium cans, without P1 db killers, and got a custom map done, bike went from 89.4hp bog stock to 98.1hp with all the mods, with heaps more torque, and much much smoother throttle response. That's pretty damn decent apparently, tuner says that's the most hp he has been able to squeeze out of an FZ6.

Also ran the bike with a professionally modded OEM set of pipes (before i got the TB's), BMC Airfilter, modded airbox, and PCIII and the bike went from 89.4hp to 95.8hp.

Map was smoother with TB's by the way too.....less shark teeth on the second map with TB's!

Oh and finally, i was running 98 octane fuel, and fully synthetic oil, when both dyno runs where done.

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, so you guys are indeed getting about an extra 6bhp. Thing is, a stock UK FZ6 already has 98bhp from the factory, so how come yours are only rated at about 90? Is there a difference between the UK and the US/AUS bikes?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, so you guys are indeed getting about an extra 6bhp. Thing is, a stock UK FZ6 already has 98bhp from the factory, so how come yours are only rated at about 90? Is there a difference between the UK and the US/AUS bikes?

Most likely, the 90hp is at the rear wheel. The 98bhp is at the crank.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ's have 98 stock at the crank, where as dyno's measure at the rear wheel, so you need to take the rear wheel power, which is around 89 depending on the dyno used. As Wolfman has proven, he has almost 10 with his mods right now.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, here is an older german article comparing aftermarket exhausts to the stock exhaust... this is WITHOUT a PCIII, so basically, if you are looking for HP gain, you will need a PCIII to be able to feel any difference (stock exhaust is the blue curve on the graphs):

2546574543_2a91675d8b_b.jpg

2547398726_5bc7c2cc73_b.jpg

2546575823_5ddabbf57f_b.jpg

2546574977_c7d8fb833a_b.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Most likely, the 90hp is at the rear wheel. The 98bhp is at the crank.

FZ's have 98 stock at the crank, where as dyno's measure at the rear wheel, so you need to take the rear wheel power, which is around 89 depending on the dyno used. As Wolfman has proven, he has almost 10 with his mods right now.

Yep no difference between UK/US/AUS FZ6 engine spec...all have about 89hp at the rear wheel, factory quoted figure is at the crank...sounds good though...guess that's why the factory states it that way.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Bigger numbers always sound better. Just think, a R1 has about 182 at the crank. Now that 182 is really about 150 at the wheel. Wow, you lose about 30 horsepower before you get the power to the ground. Makes that 182 seem rather large and useless doesn't it. :ban:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bigger numbers always sound better. Just think, a R1 has about 182 at the crank. Now that 182 is really about 150 at the wheel. Wow, you lose about 30 horsepower before you get the power to the ground. Makes that 182 seem rather large and useless doesn't it. :ban:

Yep, you gotta love those guys in marketing! Salesmen are pretty good too, had one tell me recently that the MT-01 had 140hp.....what he really meant was it has 140nm of torque!, which is impressive in it's own right, but he chose to tell me HP, as i think he thought i would get excited by that...

Lol!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
They do have 140hp! With the stage 3 race kit installed which costs you about another $6000 (canadian). Stock is a measly 90. Dealer near my house always tries to sell by power. I've listened to the salesman and they use the line "That bike has x amount of power, but this one has x + more! So it's better". I laugh and walk away.