How long to warm up street tires (in the cold)?

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched the forum for an answer, but didn't find one, so here it goes.

How long does it take a street tire to warm up? Now that it's in the 30's and 40's in the mornings and evenings I'd like to be sure my tires are warm before leaning the bike into a turn. I've noticed that just starting out the tire sometimes slides when I downshift, as I come to a stop.

Is there a rule of thumb? at 30mph and 40 degrees? At 65mph and 35 degrees?

Thanks!

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
An interesting Q, of which I'm also curious, as I ride when it is cold too (32 this monring). I know it is going to depend somewhat upon the tire being used...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on the style of riding that you use. If you're commuting in mostly the straights, the tire will never get warm enough since it really isn't being used outside of the center contact patch. If you're commute is full of twists and you ride them a bit agressive, you'll warm the entire tire a lot faster. The catch is the twists in the beginning on cold tires... extra caution is needed.

This is also dependent on the composition of the tire. Softer compounds of Canyon-Carving tires warm faster than a harder touring tire.

Last, air pressure... Even a half pound of air off can really change the dynamics of heating the tire. In the cold, it's best to run ever so slightly on the low side which creates a softer tire. As it flexes and warms, the tire pressure increases. We are talking about a pound or less of pressure difference here though.

Weight - Rider, cargo and gear. How much weight are you carrying daily? Are you running the proper air pressure for the make/model tire VS the amount of weight loaded on the bike?

Lots of variables thus lots of possible answers. It is going to likely be a unique situation for everyone based on these variables.

Probably more confused now than before you asked, but I hope this helps to explain the confusion. ;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be most concerned with tire pressue and would keep it lower in the colder temps. Like FZ6inNH said, your tires may never "get up to temp" if not ridden hard (I believe braking and acceleration will generate the most heat) but at the same time you don't want to ride real hard on cold tires. Basically, extra caution is required when riding in the cold - keep an eye on those pressures and ramp up the pace little by little.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i generally just don't lean it as much when it is very cold, around this time of year i develop another set of wear bars, almost to the edge during the summer that turn into about an inch or so when it is cold, better to not push the tires as the road is cold too which is half of the grip.

I rode this morning and it was 20 degrees F when i left. I really can't wait for my heated grips to come in...

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
i generally just don't lean it as much when it is very cold, around this time of year i develop another set of wear bars, almost to the edge during the summer that turn into about an inch or so when it is cold, better to not push the tires as the road is cold too which is half of the grip.

I rode this morning and it was 20 degrees F when i left. I really can't wait for my heated grips to come in...

Yeah, what he said. When it's cold, you are not going to get the same performance levels out of any tire. Trust me, I went off the side of Hwy 60 in North Georgia when it was about 20 or so degrees.