Satellite Personal Tracking System (emergency)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Any of you adv touring or outdoor guys/gals use something like this?

SPOT International Landing Page

I saw this in the AMA mag and they offer a member discount. After the initial outlay, $100 per year for the service seems well worth it since it could save your life. I tend to crash a lot (that's how you learn, right?) when I'm in the dirt whether on a bike or motorcycle (hiking, kayaking, etc.) and would not prefer to die alone on the side of a mountain if I have an alternative.

Any other better options out there? Do any of the standard GPS units offer the same type of service?

Thanks

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I saw this in the AMA mag and they offer a member discount. After the initial outlay, $100 per year for the service seems well worth it since it could save your life. I tend to crash a lot (that's how you learn, right?) when I'm in the dirt whether on a bike or motorcycle (hiking, kayaking, etc.) and would not prefer to die alone on the side of a mountain if I have an alternative.

Any other better options out there? Do any of the standard GPS units offer the same type of service?

Thanks

It looks like a nice product Nate, it misses the emergency beacon and VHF/UHF radio feature that some other PLB's offer, but the tracking and help features look nice :thumbup:

Last edited:

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
While I'm not that knowledgeable about it, I do have a couple friends that use it. We didn't have any emergencies to test, but loved ones were able to track our progress while we were on a multi-day trip. Each SPOT user was able to give out a web address w/password so that chosen individuals could log on and check our progress as displayed on a map. That part was pretty slick and a comfort to the families. 'Cause you know how it is when you are making miles, we tend to forget to call and check in as often as the family would like. That, or we end up riding in places that have sketchy/no cell phone coverage.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks
Thats a great system, in terms of value for money = piece of mind. I use my GPS when I am out and about. It won't transmit where I am, however it has an emergency function on it. "Where am I" that gives a read out on my GPS co-ordinates.
If I had the time, money etc to pursue some outdoor activities it would be high up on my equipment list.

Nelly

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah mate. Had a look at them for Kayak fishing and as long as someone knows when you're going to be returning or checking in then they are a great idea it seems to me. If you don't check in they can find your location on google earth. The only other thing would be the new EPIRBs as the old ones are to be fazed out. Dollar value wise these SPOTs are way cheaper if I remember correctly.:thumbup:
Cheers
Mike