Slow puncture that cannot be repaird !!??

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a nail in my rear tyre :(

The pressure drops by about 6 psi a day so still quite slow .... Anyhow I thought I'll get this repaired so I phoned my local Yam dealer ...
They said it can't be repaired and I'll have to buy a new tyre !!! Surely this is rubbish !... Can they not do a simple repair with a patch inside ??

This could become a very expensive hobby with the tyres being so soft ! Any views on this subject ? Do you think they are just trying to get money for a new tyre out of me or is this normal ???? :(

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh i got a large rivot go in mine at 2000km and used a product called slime. Its green and works , tyre places hate the mess but hey it saved me 180 dollars this time

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh i got a large rivot go in mine at 2000km and used a product called slime. Its green and works , tyre places hate the mess but hey it saved me 180 dollars this time

Just going out to a tyre place now ... Hopefully they can do something similar :)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorted :)

Half a tub of Ultraseal later and its no longer leaking .... Bloody YAM dealer was obviously after a quick cash injection !!

:Sport:

W

wrightme43

Here is the reasoning behind replace instead of patch.

On four wheels, if your rolling along @ 80 and your patch starts to leak and the tire heats up, and blows out. No real problem, its scary, but controlable.

On two wheels, rolling along @ 80, starts to leak, tire heats up, blows, or just goes sorta flat, right as you lean deep. Problem, alot less controlable, plus no spare.

Sorta like helicoptors, you make sure the best stuff goes on the parts that keep you in the air.

I have read of lots of people using patches succesfully, its just a whole lot more risk. From what I understand if its ok for the first couple hundred miles it will be ok till the tire dies.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
This ULTRASEAL stuff seems like a good product ... With it only being a slow leak anyhow I'm willing to take the chance... It now shows no sign of leakage and the daily pressure checks should suffice.
£10 ($20) is better than £117 ($240ish) for a new tyre ... have only covered 1400 miles on it !! a few thou left in the trusty Bridgestone yet :)

P.S: It actually looks like a small staple that did the damage unlike a big thick nail ... I'll need a second income to support this hobby :)

Last edited:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
If you put too much "stuff" inside the tire, it could effect the tire balance. Be aware of this.

My brother-in-law used stuff like that on one of his tires and didn't have any trouble with it. I personally would just replace the tire. It ain't cheep, but it gives me peace of mind. In 30 or more years of road riding I have only had to replace one tire due to road damage (nail). I live in Texas, and you wouldn't believe how much nasty sharp things end up on the roads!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
If you put too much "stuff" inside the tire, it could effect the tire balance. Be aware of this.

My brother-in-law used stuff like that on one of his tires and didn't have any trouble with it. I personally would just replace the tire. It ain't cheep, but it gives me peace of mind. In 30 or more years of road riding I have only had to replace one tire due to road damage (nail). I live in Texas, and you wouldn't believe how much nasty sharp things end up on the roads!

Hmmm ... you've all got me thinking now :eek:

I'm gonna give it a couple of hundred miles and see how she feels ... At the end of the day like you said, on two wheels it can be a dodgy issue ... hmmm and more hmmmm lol

We'll see .... Damn hobby !!! :Flash:

W

wrightme43

I cant tell you what I would do. I dont know. I know I would make a judgement call on what punctured the tire, where it was, and how I could patch it.

If I could use a interior round patch with the plug that comes thru the hole from the inside, and it was in the dead center, and I had to use the reaming tool to get the hole big enough to patch, I would probley go for it, if the tire was brand new.

Here is another thing to think about.

Tires are only round when you look at them.
On the road they are flexing to flat in a constantly advancing loop. As you lean the flexing to flat part changes shape but keeps constantly advancing. Its a real hard life to be a tire.

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Ultraseal and slime are designed to get you back on the road from a slow leak , TILL YOU CAN CHANGE THE TIRE. If the tire gets too hot and blows it will not be pretty.

IMHO change the tire You life is more valuable than 200 dollars

Glenn

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree,
Plugs, patches, sealants, shoe sole (yes I have used the sole of my shoe in my old 4x4), are all temporary measures. They are just to get you back to civilization. Here is California tread sidewall plugs and patches are illegal! That stuff will always leave you wondering, your piece of mind and your hide are worth the money.

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
I know nothing of a motorcycle tire but I can share some thoughts on the 'slime' products on bicycles; never use them to rely on.

Yep they work great and patching the whole but it is never fixed, just a temp fix. They create one hell of a mess and if you put to much in like quoted they unbalance.
I found that all the slime would settle in the bottom of the tire and the first couple of miles it was like using a square wheel, could not even begin to imagine what it would be like on a motorbike.
In the end I stopped using it completely and carry spare tubes around, like I said no use to a motorbike ;)