So I got run off the road..... again

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Trying to merge onto I-275 Southbound yesterday morning after work. Something I've now done 4days a week for the last month without issue.
Slow traffic, fast traffic, someone always lets me in, or leaves a gap big enough for me to hop into.... except for yesterday.

Not one, not two, but THREE assholes on their cellphones in SUVs running bumper to bumper with each other all got tighter together and accelerated as I can up the on-ramp. These guys were literally 2-3 feet from each other at 60+ mph. I was doing 40ish (stuck behind a slow car coming onto the ramp that slipped in behind these guys). The acceleration lane was tiny so I had to make a choice, try and sweep in behind the slower car that was in front of me (that also had someone on hits bumper as it merged into traffic), or go for the emergency lane.

Not wanting to tangle with a car, and remembering my lesson from what happened last time I panicked, I rolled off the throttle and applied brakes and pointed at the guard rail. Bingo, now I'm sitting in the emergency lane, signals on, and STILL no one is giving me room to merge. I waited a full 90 seconds there before I saw a gap large enough that I went felt safe making a break for it. In hind-sight, the 10k 1st gear shift likely wasn't that necessary. Oh yea, found one of the drivers a few miles down the road, gave him a good honk from the horn and a good view of my finger.... he returned the gesture.

****s sake, I've been told by out-of-towners that we have the best drivers they've ever seen, but I'm doubting that now...

edit:bah, I shouldn't have posted this, just thinking about it again is getting me pissed, and it took a good hour to cool down after it happened.

Last edited:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Heres a google maps pic of the location. Red line is me trying to merge and then giving up and going into the emergency lane. Heh, X marks the spot where I stopped and waited for traffic and green is where I bolted back into traffic when I saw an opening. Not much to look back on, but it was kinda hairy when it happened.

Oh, and JPEG artifacts for the loss.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
sorry to hear about the troubles....

be careful with that horn.... you night have some one rolling on the floor in laughter....it is hardly intimidating.:D

=========
anybody know of a louder meaner horn for the FZ6????

W

wrightme43

I use the Fiam freeway blaster. Its a bolt on. 132db.

Here is the trick I use to merge. I lay back from cars coming up the ramp. I give myself lots of room so I can use the accelration the bike has to get out in front of whatever I want.

I know it pisses people behind me off, but then again, most of them can DIAF.

If I am tight to another vehicle, the only thing I can do is match speed or slow.
If I am open from another vehicle, I have accel, match or slow available.