Helmet Shield - Interior Anti-Fog Coating

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I found "Cat Crap" anti-fog product at Eastern Mountain Sports. I thought I'd give it a try.

Today I removed my shield, cleaned it, applied Rain-X to the outside and "Cat Crap" to the inside. Cat Crap comes in a small red tub. It's the consistency of petroleum based lip balm. The instructions said to work it into the surface with your finger and then buff it off with a cotton cloth.

After completing the application a heavy breath on the outside fogged the shield (no problem) and a heavy breath on the inside didn't fog at all. Pretty cool.

I'll be back with some real world test results.

some product info from the label...
E.K. Ekcessories, Inc.
575 W 3200 S
Logan, Utah
EK Ekcessories: USA

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey this stuff does seem to work. I've got to try it in temperatures cooler than 45 to be sure. In the mean time I'm coating my sunglasses, the bathroom mirror, my car, and the house next door. :)

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know if you put shaving cream on the bathroom mirror it won't fog up. Hmmmm...wonder if it would work for the helmet. I will try it and let you know.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used Cat-crap for a couple years. It works well enough, but it does require being applied quite often.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It worked well this morning (mid to high 30s) I could get it to fog by deliberately breathing on the shield, but it would immediately clear. I was very happy with the perofrmance.

I put it on my sunglasses too. For some reason the sunglasses would still fog.

On another note, a basic windproof neck gaiter from Target really kept my neck warm, and as a real bonus noticeably cut down on wind noise.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had good luck with a "FOG CITY" visor liner. It works like a double-pane window to insulate the warm/moist air in the helmet from the cold outer shield plastic. But thanks for the tip about the other product....I'll try it on my other visor. :thumbup:

edit: here is a link:
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/fog-city-pro-shield-review

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Steph is correct... shaving cream works well. You just have to apply it more often than Cat Crap. Get the old school foamy stuff though... not the Gel. ;)

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried Cat Crap too. Worked great - until the am temp hit below 32 degrees. It didn't fog on the inside, instead the screen went all fuzzy/blurry. I picked up a can of plastics cleaner at the Yamaha shop for my windshield - the sales guy says it also helps cut down on helmet fogging - but I haven't given it a try yet.

F

formula154

Scuba divers spit in their mask and scrub the mask with the spit. Then they rinse the spit out with water and the mask wont fog. I wonder if that would work on a face shield?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scuba divers spit in their mask and scrub the mask with the spit. Then they rinse the spit out with water and the mask wont fog. I wonder if that would work on a face shield?
I was going to mention that too; requires a lot more spit as our faceshields are much larger than scuba masks, but could work in a pinch (as in out camping, caught somewhere overnight, etc).
The factory coating on my Scorpion EXO-1000 stays clear down to 22 F, below that it ices up. I've been very careful about cleaning the inside of the faceshield as I haven't heard of anything user-applied that works as well.