Cross country

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm planning a cross country trip, and was wondering how many of you I would pass on my jouney.

My mom found out she had cancer last Friday, so I'm planning a trip to Texas to see her. I am goining to plot it in the GPS and see where it takes me. I will be traveling from New Jersey to Texas in about 2 days. It should be a fun ride, and I'm sure, tiring. I have driven it, and was beat after that, and know the ride will be even more tiring, but I want to do it. It's about 1,900 mile each way, and I plan on staying over in the Nashville area. Any advice before I make my trek?

I told her I was driving, to not worry her anymore. She hates that I ride.

W

wrightme43

Well instead of staying in Nashville you can stay here for free.
50 minutes north of nashville.

42101 zip code.

It would mean taking I70/76 to I70 to I71 to I65 stop in Bowling Green I65 to I40 to I30/I20 or I55 depending on where in TX you need to go. I have made the drive from here to Port Aurthur/ Sabine pass area on the coast. Its not that bad.

If its any help, it would be a stop for free, with a motorcycle shop nearby, tools, and good food.

Your more than welcome to stop in and on the way back as well.
Worst thing you will have to put up with here is a 5 year old and two cats.
I have a spare bedroom/office that has a extra queen size bed and alarm clock.

Last edited by a moderator:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that about your Mom. That sucks. I hope the doctors can help her out.

Now as for advise?

Stop every couple of hours for a break. You can develop tunnel vision and not know it. I have done close to 1000 miles in a day, its no fun. Eye drops, your eyes will get dried out from even the slightest bit of breeze in your helmet. Energy drinks are a Godsend, but can burn you out after a while. Don't push farther than you should. If you get tired pull over and take a rest. Fuel often, I almost ran out in Nevada because I thought I could make it to the next gas station.

Can't think of anything else for now, just be careful.:thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't expect that, but will certainly keep it in mine. I will be headed to area code 79764, Odessa TX. You don't know how much I appreciate the offer!

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
sorry to hear about your Mom...

you may find this link for free support from the Lance Armstrong Foundation for those diagnosed with Cancer. On our bicycle ride cross country this summer we raised over $25,000 for the Foundation.

here is the link: Lance Armstrong Foundation: Get One-on-One Support

As for the ride ....if it takes two days in the car you may want to take 3 on the bike. You will need gas and rest breaks that would not be necessary in the car.

What do you have for rain gear? Just to be prepared in case.

Another thing you might want for the FZ6 is a cramp buster for your wrists sake

have a great trip and be safe ....

W

wrightme43

Advice now

Buy and test wear GOOD earplugs several days in advance. They add several hours to a days comfortable riding.
Get and use antimonkey butt powder or talc at every stop.
Dont do any maintence the night before you ride, do it at least a week in advance because something will always break or screw up if done at the last second. F.U. Mr. Murphy D.I.A.F.
Keep your arms relaxed, you should be able to do the chicken dance with your elbows at anytime.

I keep a water bottle for filling up in the bathroom. When its hot I take off my jacket and pour it all over it and let it soak in while I go to the bathroom refill and stretch my legs. It helps alot. A cooling vest is supposed to be even better.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I alway keep my raingear in my saddle bags. I am ready for that, but the miles is what's worring me. The most I have done is 400 miles in a day. I'm looking at 900 a day for this ride. I will plan a 3 day one way, but hope to do it in two. I have a camel bakcpack what I fill with water, and suck on while riding, so dehydration is a non issue. I am still a couple weeks away, and am debating if a flight might be better.

I know that I am up for the ride, but wondering if the ride back might be too much. The tires, chain, and my endurance are in question!

W

wrightme43

:eek:DRIVING DIRECTIONS
--------------------------------------------------
A) DELRAN, NJ US
1. Start out going NORTHEAST on MONTCLAIR DR toward RIDGEWOOD AVE. (go 0.09 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto S FAIRVIEW ST. (go 0.57 miles)
3. Turn RIGHT onto BURLINGTON PIKE/US-130 S. Continue to follow US-130 S. (go 5.18 miles)
4. Merge onto NJ-90 W via the ramp on the LEFT toward BETSY ROSS BR/PHILADELPHIA (Portions toll) (Crossing into PENNSYLVANIA). (go 2.61 miles)
5. NJ-90 W becomes BETSY ROSS BRIDGE W. (go 0.97 miles)
6. Merge onto I-95 S via the exit on the LEFT toward CENTRAL PHILA. (go 4.13 miles)
7. Merge onto US-30 W via EXIT 22 toward CENTRAL PHILA. (go 3.62 m iles)
8. Merge onto I-76 W (Portions toll). (go 269.09 miles)
9. Merge onto I-70 W via EXIT 75 toward US-119/COLUMBUS/WHEELING (Crossing into WEST VIRGINIA). (go 67.24 miles)
10. Merge onto I-470 W via EXIT 5A on the LEFT toward COLUMBUS (Crossing into OHIO). (go 10.63 miles)
11. Merge onto I-70 W via the exit on the LEFT. (go 119.17 miles)
12. Take the FOURTH ST/US-23 exit- EXIT 100B. (go 0.19 miles)
13. Turn RIGHT onto S 4TH ST/US-33 W/US-23 N. (go 0.47 miles)
14. Turn LEFT onto E STATE ST. (go 0.16 miles)
15. End at Columbus, OH US
››ESTIMATED TIME: 7 hours, 58 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 484.10 miles
B) COLUMBUS, OH US
1. Start out going WEST on E S TATE ST toward S HIGH ST. (go 0.08 miles)
2. Turn LEFT onto S HIGH ST. (go 0.38 miles)
3. Turn RIGHT onto W MOUND ST. (go 0.19 miles)
4. Merge onto I-70 W/I-71 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward DAYTON. (go 0.50 miles)
5. Keep LEFT to take I-71 S via EXIT 99A-B toward CINCINNATI/DUBLIN RD. (go 0.09 miles)
6. Merge onto I-71 S via EXIT 99A on the LEFT toward CINCINNATI (Crossing into KENTUCKY). (go 125.47 miles)
7. Merge onto I-71 S via EXIT 173 toward LOUISVILLE. (go 71.63 miles)
8. Merge onto I-264 W via EXIT 5 on the LEFT. (go 10.41 miles)
9. Merge onto I-65 S via EXIT 12 toward NASHVILLE. (go 103.85 miles)
10. Merge onto KY-446 W via EXIT 28 toward US-31W/BOWLING GREEN. (go 0.79 miles)
11. Take the US-31W S ramp toward BOWLING GREEN. (go 0.51 miles)
&n bsp;12. Merge onto US-68 W/KY-80 W. (go 3.42 miles)
13. Turn LEFT onto E 10TH AVE. (go 0.36 miles)
14. Turn RIGHT onto STATE ST. (go 0.14 miles)
15. End at Bowling Green, KY US
››ESTIMATED TIME: 5 hours, 12 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 317.82 miles
C) BOWLING GREEN, KY US
1. Start out going SOUTHWEST on STATE ST toward E 12TH AVE. (go 0.07 miles)
2. Turn LEFT onto E 12TH AVE. (go 0.59 miles)
3. E 12TH AVE becomes US-231 S. (go 3.26 miles)
4. Merge onto I-65 S (Crossing into TENNESSEE). (go 59.83 miles)
5. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 84A on the LEFT toward KNOXVILLE/HUNTSVILLE. (go 197.12 miles)
6. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 10B. (go 11.69 miles)
7. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 1E toward LITTLE ROCK (Crossing into ARKANSAS). (go 127.94 miles)
8. Merge onto I-440 W via EXIT 159 toward TEXARKANA. (go 9.99 miles)
9. Take the US-65 S/US-167 S/I-530 S exit- EXIT 138B- on the LEFT toward PINE BLUFF. (go 0.23 miles)
10. Merge onto I-30 W toward HOT SPRINGS/TEXARKANA (Crossing into TEXAS). (go 362.79 miles)
11. I-30 W becomes I-20 W. (go 303.88 miles)
12. Take EXIT 116 toward US-385/CRANE/ANDREWS. (go 0.19 miles)
13. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-20 W/E I-20 SERVICE RD/E POOL RD. (go 0.13 miles)
14. Turn RIGHT onto S GRANT AVE/US-385. (go 1.34 miles)
15. End at Odessa, TX US
››ESTIMATED TIME: 16 hours, 12 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 1079.02 miles
D) ODESSA, TX US
--- -----------------------------------------------
››TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 29 hours, 22 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 1880.94 miles

Of course those are very vauge and lots of b.s. can be filtered out, but like I said you are 100% welcome.

It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

Oh.. uh.. wait umm.. LOL :rolleyes: I was supposed to wait untill your in the pit to say that. LOL

Nah its a good place easy to find, great people, good food, quiet and not alot of drama.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I can deal without the drame, but will welcome the good place and food! I am about 90% sure I want to make the ride on the FZ6.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just drove from Killeen, TX (76544) to Niagara Falls, NY (14304) in 25 hours for the third time. It gets hard near the end on the drive. So on a bike it will be a real challange but more power to you.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you mom will pull through. That's a tough ride on a bike with worry on your mind. I would probably have to take the cage on a trip like that.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mother man, hope she makes it through treatment ok. That stuff can get really rough.

I think I remember you saying you ordered a corbin seat a couple weeks back....has it come in yet? I imagine that will make a huge difference on a trip that long. If you think about it, give us a write up when you get back.

Good luck and god speed (or spaghetti-monster speed, whichever applies.....doesn't really roll off the tongue as easily).

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thats a ride. I did consecutive days 930 and 920 miles 3 years ago on an FJR1300. And was worn out when I got home. I can't imagine it on an FZ6.

I used to live in Somerville, NJ. My brother and I left OKC at 3:00 pm after college one year and got home at 11:00 am the next morning. I've driven from here to my Uncles place in Odessa in 6 hrs. Thats a total of 26 hrs. The thing is you have to stop for gas alot more often on a bike vs a car.

That Idaho trip we left 6:00 am and got to Denver 8:00 that night. Then the next day we left Denver at 6:00 and got to OKC at 7:00pm

If you happen to be coming thru OKC I'll help you with anything I can.

Glenn

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I didn't get a chance to make this ride. I got a call late last month that my mom only had a couple days left(shocker to say the least). I took a flight out the next day and stayed a week before the eneviatable happened. I want to give a heart felt thanks to all those who offered help on this journey. It was appreciated even thought I couldn't take you up on your offers.

I do hope to meet you guys soon though.