Jay Leno and Arai

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
wow...VERY informative. Thanks you for posting this...Ill be buying a new helmet this weekend.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, I just went through all this picking out my Shark helmet. :D

aproccos

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a helmet last week and the salesman did me right. I thought it was way to small but he was right on. After just a week it is perfect. I can even wear a balaclava under it.

aproccos

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I noticed also. I am going with they guy that works for the helmet company. Not the guy who was told by someone, who told someone else, who told someone else etc. etc. etc...

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Informative video for sure. A couple of things I noted that helmet man mentioned was painting the helmet with the proper type and process is fine. Also if a helmet is dropped from the seat of a bike or something, it's also fine. Both of these comments seem to contradict what they taought us in the safety course. Anyone else get that?

Yeah, I did catch that. I had always thought that if you dropped it, you had to get a new one.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
F

formula154

I am a RN with 6 years ER experience. In the crash that they showed, when they took the guys helmet off, they would have killed him if he had a neck injury. Look at the way they twist and move his neck around trying to work that helmet off his head. As a nurse that was horrifying to watch. It is bad to survive a wreck like that then be killed by someone taking the helmet off.:eek::eek::eek: When they tried to get the helmet off they grabbed the bottom of the helmet and twisted his head to the left about 45 degrees. Then they pulled his head up about 45 degrees with his chin tilted down toward his chest. Then THEY DROPPED HIS HEAD. Any off those three things could have cut his spinal chord in two if he had a neck injury. In any injury where a neck injury is possible the head should be stabilized so that the neck can't twist or move. It should be stabilized straight back in line with the body.

Last edited by a moderator:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
That was a very good video. I definately agree that you should measure your head and get the helmet that best fits you. The only other thing to consider I think is that he was talking about Arai and not every other company. As far as how much of a drop the helmet can take and whether it can stand up to repainting is dependant on how the helmet is made. If in doubt you can always send your helmet in to alot of companies or tell them your situation and see what they say. Just my 2 cents.

Wonger

The Dude Abides!
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had that guy fit me at the cycle world show in Chicago a couple years ago. He is fantastic!! Not only did he guess down to the cm what size my head was by using his hand, he used it to gauge the shape as well. He fitted me to a Quantum 2 based on my head shape. I now use a Shark RSR2 Size med. My cheek pads are a little tight, but it actually reminds me to relax a little. When I clinch my jaw, it is too snug, but when I relax it is perfect. As for the Shark helmet, best I've ever had. Shoei RF-1000 (which I hated) last, and a "tested" Suomy Spec1-R. THe Suomy was almost equal to the Shark, but didn't vent as well. THe Shoei didn't seem like it came down low enough to cover my chin a crash.

Last edited:

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a RN with 6 years ER experience. In the crash that they showed, when they took the guys helmet off, they would have killed him if he had a neck injury. Look at the way they twist and move his neck around trying to work that helmet off his head. As a nurse that was horrifying to watch. It is bad to survive a wreck like that then be killed by someone taking the helmet off.:eek::eek::eek: When they tried to get the helmet off they grabbed the bottom of the helmet and twisted his head to the left about 45 degrees. Then they pulled his head up about 45 degrees with his chin tilted down toward his chest. Then THEY DROPPED HIS HEAD. Any off those three things could have cut his spinal chord in two if he had a neck injury. In any injury where a neck injury is possible the head should be stabilized so that the neck can't twist or move. It should be stabilized straight back in line with the body.

I'm not and EMT...and that scarred the **** out of me more then the crash. :eek:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Profile:rockon: Be prepared to $hell out though...
Informative video...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great video that everyone should watch. It clears up the painting of helmets and if it is ok to use it if you drop it. I have never had any salesman offer to change the cheek pads on a helmet and I knew you could take them out to wash them but not to alter the helmet fit.

Thanks for posting this I will be passing it on to my biking friends.

Steve