Adjusting rear shock preload

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to mess around with my 06 FZ6's shock preload this morning to see if it altered the height of the bike at all.
Anyhow, I put it up on the centre stand, took off the seat, but I couldn't budge the adjusting ring either way using the tool provided in the kit. What am I doing wrong? :confused:
It's currently set at the factory #3 position.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I too bet the extension will help you.

FWIW, you should set the preload according to your weight (with gear) and corresponding desired sag, not ride height.
________
AlishaBabe cam

Last edited:

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine on one and I know it's prolly not right but it really rides smooth. I weigh 225 minus the helmet and jacket... should prolly be somewhere around 3.

Khyren

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks...I didn't even realize that there was an extension in the (impressive for a bike) toolkit.:eek:
I'll have another go at it. :thumbup:
I'll experiment to see the effect of each setting on my riding. I doubt that I'll ever bother with a passenger, but may load up with luggage at some stage.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine on one and I know it's prolly not right but it really rides smooth. I weigh 225 minus the helmet and jacket... should prolly be somewhere around 3.

Khyren

Does the bike sit any lower on setting #1 when you're sitting on the bike compared to the factory #3 setting?
Preload adjustment sounds like a dark science to me... :p:confused:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Khyren

I'd guess 5 would be good for you. But maybe you just prefer the comfort and don't push it really hard....interesting.

Does the bike sit any lower on setting #1 when you're sitting on the bike compared to the factory #3 setting?
Preload adjustment sounds like a dark science to me... :p:confused:

I bet it does. He's probably got a ton of static sag which isn't desired for fast pace and/or big bumps.
________
Novana Residence Condominium Pattaya

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I weigh about 160lbs plus kit (fairly light weight :))

I Never take passengers on so what do you reckon would be a good setting ? Standard ?
I do open her up quite a lot and enjoy throwing it round the twisties ... I obviously haven't messed with the settings yet but would be interested as to your ideas.

831fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 200 lbs and like it set at 5.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't do what I did. Make sure you remove your key from the seat release before adjusting your rear setting. I didn't the first time I adjusted mine and when it clicked into the next setting I bent the crap out of my key. DOH!! Oh well, lesson learned and I was at home so no harm no foul other than being out a key.

MarcW

full throttle turd nugget
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to bring this thred back from heeel. im about 220 all kitted up. i believe its at the factory setting. 5 say yeeeh crowd? :confused:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to bring this thred back from heeel. im about 220 all kitted up. i believe its at the factory setting. 5 say yeeeh crowd? :confused:

I set mine at 7 because I'm big, I always wear a backpack, and occasionally strap stuff on the back. And I like the way it reacts to my particular riding style. Between 5 and 7 there's not a drastic difference.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com

Khyren

I'm 225 minus gear and I have mine set on 7 :eek: It probably should be on 6 but carry my wife around sometimes so I keep it a bit higher but I couldn't imagine riding with it on 1. You need to try some other settings.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to adjust mine for the first time this week, took the left hand plastic trim off did it easy.
What year is your Fizzer, Jules? My '07 had a very narrow slot in the plastic trim, didn't have to remove it to adjust the shock.
I'm 230 and moved mine from 3 to 5, and have to admit I didn't notice much of a difference. But, I don't push my bike hard (yet).

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine set to 1, I weigh about 150 with all my gear... it seems as responsive as it was on 3. I put it on 1 to lower it a bit since I am only 5'4".

O

Officerjive

I'm 6'4" and pushing 250, thanks to Chipotle, so I jacked mine up to 7, but the front end dive was a little excessive for normal city riding, so I dropped it to 5, and it's just right for normal day on the bike.
Since I tend to lean my weight up over the tank in slows and stops, it just felt too squishy in the front with that stiffness in the rear, especially on downhill right-hand turns.

B

bluenova

I have mine set to 1, I weigh about 150 with all my gear... it seems as responsive as it was on 3. I put it on 1 to lower it a bit since I am only 5'4".

If you weigh 150 US pounds, setting 1 will feel quite spungy and won't give you the right feedback through quick turns. Setting 3 to 4 would be best for your weight. I know it's difficult with the height as I'm a short arse too, but I only weigh 9 1/2 stone so setting 2 is good for me.

Changing the pre-load is not the answer to the height issue though, as the pre-load needs to be adjusted according to your weight not your height. You would be better trying to shift over to the left side of the seat when coming to a stop as your right foot should be on the brake, thus making your left leg a bit longer to comfortably reach the ground.

And watch out for dips in the road made by lorries, don't get caught on the top of the dip.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will adjust it to 2 and see how that works. Since I have my comfort seat, I am already able to touch better. I will let you know how it feels.

Thanks for the advise.

dip = pothole?

I have found myself already in one of those on my old ZX6 right over we went, full tank of gas and all :(

Take care,

Deb