Performance change using octane booster??

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I wanted to throw this out there since I have noticed a change in the motorcycles manners while under WOT acceleration. My mods are as follows: 15T sprocket, BMC filter, air box mod, Leo Vince slip ons (db killers removed) and PCIII. I have the European program for the Leo Vince exhaust with db killers installed in the PCIII because the bike seemed to run more crisp with that program. I run 91-93 octane fuel all the time. Well, this past weekend I put some octane booster in the tank when I filled up. I used 1/5th of the bottle (the whole bottle treats 25 gallons, Lucas Octane booster) and now when I accelerate from a light the same way I always did, the front end lift is more violent than is was before and this morning when I hit second the front raised up to the same height it was lifted in first!! This has never happened before, and in first even with the 15T front sprocket obviously lifted, but never to this extent. I find it hard to believe octane boost would do this. I was completely down and laying on the tank when I went to WOT at approx 5-10mph. The front end lift is linear to the powerband. Any ideas anyone? Sorry for the long post, but this makes me nervous.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
What I meant was, I hit the throttle at 10mph, not like I hit it at 8000rpm and thought gee, why would this happen. The front lifts once the engine hits the powerband. This bike NEVER pulled the front tire when I hit second gear like it did this morning, and I di dnothing different than I ever do.

Basically, my question is, if the tune is lean due to the program in the PCIII I am running, would the slight increase of octane for whatever reason change the performance?

SCAB, an engine if tuned LEAN will in fact feel more powerful with higher octane, simply due to the engine getting the better knock protection. Those links are really lacking some information. Such as why high compression auto engines and power adder engines run high octane. Why the Cobalt SS, Civic SI, GTI, GTR, and many others all ask for Premium fuel. Will they blow up without it no, due to the computers pulling all the timing from the engine.

But from what I understand the Euro programs are more lean than the US programs in the PCIII, is that not accurate?

Thank you all.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use 92 oct, and i have the 15-48 and on a roll like you said, my front just wants to lift so i have or i am use to it and no where to play and not go to far. As far as mods i have:
sprocket 15-48
pc111
scorp slips
520 RED chain
speed-o-healer To correct the gearing rario (which was -14.8% off)

and the rest are cosmetic things. So try to get use to it and know where to ride and then have fun.

T

TheVmaxrider

I would look into the ingredients contained in the Octane booster you used. Most likely you will find an ingredient labeled IPA, fancy name for isopropyl alcohol, which will give a performance gain. This is not tied to the "octane", but is instead due to the properties of IPA or even Naptha which cause better atomization of the fuel into the intake airstream and more complete combustion. JMHO.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Such as why high compression auto engines and power adder engines run high octane.

Octane is resistance to detonation. Detonation is not really burning, but kinda a spontaneous explosion kinda thing. So, the high compression engines are prone to make low octane gas detonate under the higher compression and therefore need a gas with a higher resistance to doing so.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ENGLISH PLEASE, so is octane booster good as far as more power or will it damage the bike. If used ounce a month is that to much or don't use it.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Scab, thats what I am thinking though in this case, trying to rule out the PCIII with Euro tune being lean on US fuels?? I have no idea what the difference is between the two fuels.

Defy, I was thinking that also, but but it was in the low 70's the first time the I noticed a change. The other morning was high 50's, so that might have played a part.

Next time I ride I will see if I can figure out how to control it. It would be a bummer to not be able to enjoy the better performance of the cooler air.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
ENGLISH PLEASE, so is octane booster good as far as more power or will it damage the bike. If used ounce a month is that to much or don't use it.
Octane doesn't have anything to do with power. More octance doesn't hurt anything. It doesn't help anything either, unless your engine experiences detonation (pinging).

Kent Soignier

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to whizz on anyone's parade in my first post here, but;
In my experience; most octane booster products don't do much except drain your wallet. majic hop up in a can. hp in a can?
In many cases the perceived perf gains may be imagined by the individual.
I seriously doubt if a dyno would show any significant increase in horsepower.
In the old days octane was derived from lead, very hazardous, as are any of the newer chamicals that may actually increase octane.
Actually, high octane fuel in and of itself, does not increase horsepower. Higher compression does, and higher octane fuels allow hi compression engines to run without detonation (which will put large holes in the pistons if left unchecked)
For alcohol to make more power it takes three times the volume compared to gasoline, (very large jets are required to make this work), Alcohol in the can o' boost would probably displace some fuel molecules, therefore creating a slighly leaner fuel-air ratio, but maybe that would explain the perceived gains. But keep in mind, second gear roll-on wheelies are not the most scientific testing procedure.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Higher octane has less energy. The only way you will make more power is with higher compression and more timing. If you take two setups that are the same and the only difference being octane, the setup with the lowest octane rated fuel will make more power.