How to handle battery over the winter

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody,

In previous post I described how we moved a FZ6 to Florida over the winter. It will stay there and we'll drive it occasionally, maybe every 2 months.
To prevent battery from self discharging i did following mod:

1. Removed a seat and raised fuel tank by using bungee cords.
2. That gives you easy view and access to battery.
3. Purchased automotive cigarette plug receptacle for few dollars and found a piece of red/black speaker wire.
4. When aided found also piece of automotive black sleeving used to cover wiring. Serves as protection and looks good.
5. Using round terminal connected minus directly to battery "-" terminal
6. For "+" terminal I found one free terminal in the white plastic receptacle just above the battery. + 12V comes from battery to that receptacle.
7. I fed wire from that point along and below the frame on the left side into the compartment under the seat and tied my new receptacle next to the tools.
8. Actual battery trickle charger I made myself but you can buy inexpensive ones in automotive places for about 20-40 dollars. I attached cigarette plug to the leads and just plugged it into the receptacle.

You are done! When going for ride just unplug the charger and put seat back. When ready to park bike for longer time again, just remove seat and insert charger plug back. It will keep battery in order for indefinite period of time.
Remember one thing, if bike is left over winter sitting there battery will discharge to near zero volts and that destroys it permanently. You can charge it again in the Spring but it will never be like new again. Chemical processes that do that are irreversible.
Very unfortunately I forgot to take a pic or two. It is really easy mod and I hope that explanation is clear enough before I manage to attach some pics.

Zack

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
That's neat stuff...kinda McGuyver style...I just wimped out and bought a Battery Tender and used the leads they gave me with the kit to make a "permanent" mount for the connection.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
God yes...

Buy a battery tender. Mine is on the bike all the time and if the battery dies a bit I just plug it into the mains overnight.

Once it is fitted, which takes 20 minutes, you do not have to be taking seats off and lifting tanks anymore.

Steve