Corbin Gunfighter seat review

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Install date: Sept 27, 2008
Bike: 2007 FZ6

I put this seat on prior to a 700 mile day ride, to get an impression of the seat before taking the FZ6 on a longer 2600 mile weekend trip.

Background info: After about 2000 miles on the stock seat, I bought a Yamaha Comfort Gel seat, thinking that the words "comfort" and "gel" meant it would be an improvement over the stock seat. It wasn't. The stock seat had more "give" and conformed better to my backside than the Comfort Gel seat, which is hard, unyielding, and has absolutely no contouring.

Initial Corbin comfort impressions: More comfortable than the Yamaha Comfort Gel seat, much less comfortable than my Bill Mayer custom seat on the BMW. It's very firm, has no contouring.

After a long trip: The first two days were each about 500 miles, and I made several stops along the way, which got me off the bike and gave my backside some recovery time. But by the end of each day I was really squirming. The third day was an easy 250 mile day, with a couple of long breaks, so it was no problem. The fourth day was a 625 mile day, pushing hard on I-10 to get home. Gas stops were very brief: get off the bike, fuel up, get back on the bike, get back on the interstate. I wanted to ride the full 1030 miles straight through in one day to get home, but absolutely had to get off the bike for the day, after only 625 miles. Getting back on the bike the next morning to ride those last 400+ miles home was okay for the first 200 miles, but the last 200+ I was in great discomfort.

Verdict: For the total $$ I spent on both the Yamaha Comfort Gel + Corbin, I could of had a custom Bill Mayer seat (BMS) for this bike. I was trying to go "cheap" when I got the Yamaha comfort gel seat, then threw good money after bad by going with the Corbin. I've done 1500+ mile days on a Bill Mayer seat on my BMW easily, with absolutely no pain or discomfort. Lesson learned.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have the Corbin Gunfighter. I think the key between the FZ6 seat and the BMW seat is the width. I'm not sure which BMW you ride, but if it's anything like the 1150R or the 1200 then it's quite a bit wider, hence spreading your body weight over a larger area. I have found that I can get 400 miles without any discomfort, but after that my ass is begging to get off the bike. A few year back I did 700 miles on a honda goldwing without any discomfort.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Install date: Sept 27, 2008
Bike: 2007 FZ6

I put this seat on prior to a 700 mile day ride, to get an impression of the seat before taking the FZ6 on a longer 2600 mile weekend trip.

Background info: After about 2000 miles on the stock seat, I bought a Yamaha Comfort Gel seat, thinking that the words \"comfort\" and \"gel\" meant it would be an improvement over the stock seat. It wasn't. The stock seat had more \"give\" and conformed better to my backside than the Comfort Gel seat, which is hard, unyielding, and has absolutely no contouring.

Initial Corbin comfort impressions: More comfortable than the Yamaha Comfort Gel seat, much less comfortable than my Bill Mayer custom seat on the BMW. It's very firm, has no contouring.

After a long trip: The first two days were each about 500 miles, and I made several stops along the way, which got me off the bike and gave my backside some recovery time. But by the end of each day I was really squirming. The third day was an easy 250 mile day, with a couple of long breaks, so it was no problem. The fourth day was a 625 mile day, pushing hard on I-10 to get home. Gas stops were very brief: get off the bike, fuel up, get back on the bike, get back on the interstate. I wanted to ride the full 1030 miles straight through in one day to get home, but absolutely had to get off the bike for the day, after only 625 miles. Getting back on the bike the next morning to ride those last 400+ miles home was okay for the first 200 miles, but the last 200+ I was in great discomfort.

Verdict: For the total $$ I spent on both the Yamaha Comfort Gel + Corbin, I could of had a custom Bill Mayer seat (BMS) for this bike. I was trying to go \"cheap\" when I got the Yamaha comfort gel seat, then threw good money after bad by going with the Corbin. I've done 1500+ mile days on a Bill Mayer seat on my BMW easily, with absolutely no pain or discomfort. Lesson learned.

Is this Bill Mayer a local entity? Never heard of b4.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I too have the Corbin Gunfighter. I think the key between the FZ6 seat and the BMW seat is the width. I'm not sure which BMW you ride, but if it's anything like the 1150R or the 1200 then it's quite a bit wider, hence spreading your body weight over a larger area.

You are definitely onto part of the answer, here. The BMW stock seat is wider at the rear; the Bill Mayer seat adds to that width. A custom Bill Mayer seat for the FZ6 would do the same, but the Bill Mayer is also far more anatomically designed. I find that the edge of the seat digs into the back of my upper thighs on the stock BMW seat and on the Corbin seat for the FZ6. I also find that with the Corbin, my weight is being carried on two very small localized spots (my ischeal tuberosities) because the seat is so ungiving.

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Is this Bill Mayer a local entity? Never heard of b4.

Bill Mayer Saddles is strictly a custom saddle shop, located in Ojai, CA but serve riders all over the country. It is strictly custom, seat is built by hand to your height, weight, riding style, and model of bike. You can do a ride-in by appointment, or you can send your seat in, along with $$, order form, and photos of you from various angles sitting on the bike. They strip the seat down to the seat pan and build it from scratch. They're expensive, but well worth it for all-day comfort, and a great company to do business with...if they don't get it quite right after a test ride, they'll take it back and fine-tune it. No break-in required. I've had two Bill Mayer saddles on my BMW in the past. There are a couple of other companies that do the same (Rick Mayer (his brother), and Russell Day-long). Custom Motorcycle Seats-Bill Mayer Saddles>

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't agree more. Best seat for the FZ6 is Top Saddlery which is cheaper than the Corbin too. Even Sargent, etc makes good seats.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha lowered seat and I could not ask for more. It is never uncomfortable and never has been from day 1. The furthest travelled in a day has been 900km and that as 2 up and neither of us had a complaint about the seat.

The biggest difference with the lowered seat apart from being 3cm lower than stock is that it is more rounded all over. Its a great seat but only available in Europe. Having said that someone on here has copied mine using their stoock seat and it looks great.

Don`t spend a fortune on Corbins etc to get a comfy seat. try working with what you have got first.

Steve

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't agree more. Best seat for the FZ6 is Top Saddlery which is cheaper than the Corbin too. Even Sargent, etc makes good seats.

i sat on a TS and it was too mushy, absolutely no support and from my experiences a firm (not rock hard) seat is the way to go for touring or decent trips on a bike. will TS make a firm seat? also ive heard good things about Spencer's Seat Mod.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
i sat on a TS and it was too mushy, absolutely no support and from my experiences a firm (not rock hard) seat is the way to go for touring or decent trips on a bike. will TS make a firm seat? also ive heard good things about Spencer's Seat Mod.

Agreed! I had a sargent on my FZ1 and loved it but then I didn't want to have too much $$ in comfort when I don't tour much so went the spencer way and love that seat too.

D

Dave.TX

Thanks for the tips on Spencer's! I'm trying out a used Corbin and so far don't like it. I have a comfort/gel seat that I like better and the stock seat. Think I'll pass on the Corbin and send the stock seat in to Spencer's. The comfort/gel has been working well enough for a few months.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Top Saddlery FTW. Sorry guys…

However, I have heard of a guy that has a turn around time of around 24 hours, uses the same seat as the stock, and makes it feel like a Top Saddlery according to reviews… Might be worth checking out:

Page 1

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of getting the Corbin seat to get more comfort and lower the seat height but with all these bad/average reviews, I don't think it's worth the $435 it'll cost. Has anyone had their stock seat reworked/lowered by Spencer's and about what was the cost? That seems to be a better option than the Corbin seat.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Had Corbin and got rid of it after 4000 miles it never "broke in" anythng but my arse. I sent my seat in to A Great Day To Ride and had Frank fix me up. Just finished 1300+ miles over the weekend and besides from being the normal saddle sore because I haven't been riding it did just fine. The Corbin would let me slide into the tank everytime I got on the brakes. Even with one nad (thanks cancer) that became annoying very quickly.