Please Help - New Bike - Rear Brake Issues

Colorider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

Love this forum so much I bought a new 2007 FZ6! :) Well okay, I have to admit I like the bike too!

As excited as I am to now own this amazing bike, unfortunately there has been some heartbreak. If you know anything that can help me, please chime in on the following rear brake issue:

Background facts:
- Bike is 2007 blue FZ6, just purchased new yesterday
- Bike was still in the crate when I arrived at the dealership (they showed it to me still in the crate). It was assembled while I waited and then sold to me.
- The dealership did not test ride the bike - I base this assumption on the fact that the bike still had zero miles on it at the time I took delivery.
- I did not test ride the bike before purchasing because test rides are not allowed (all dealers in my area have a similar policy) but I figured because it was brand new and right out of the crate it should be fine.
- I took delivery of the bike in the dealer's garage area where it was noisy and I did not hear the slight sound of the rear brake pads rubbing the rotor.

Issue:
After taking delivery of the bike I rode immediately home because clouds were starting to roll in and rain was not far behind. Total distance home was about 35 miles. When I got home in the garage I smelled something burning, looked around the bike and much to my horror saw a little steam/smoke rising from the rear brake caliper and the interior circumference of the rear brake rotor was fried! (see BurnedRotor.jpg below). The rear caliper and rotor were *very* hot! Now in my quiet garage and with my helmet off, while pushing the bike I could hear that the rear brake caliper was constantly gripping the rotor without any pressure being applied to the rear brake foot lever whatsoever. It does not grip it so much that it causes the rear tire to skid, but you can definitely hear and tell that the rear caliper is gripping the rotor. The 35 mile ride home was nearly all freeway with no traffic so I didn't use the brakes much at all. Also, I ride with the ball of my foot on the foot peg (i.e., not near the brake lever) and do not use the rear brake much anyway. The next day I called the dealer, explained the situation, and they said bring it in. I rode slowly and stopped frequently to check the rear rotor. It was still getting hot without ever even applying the rear brake, but not red hot anymore - it appears the brake pads were slightly worn down by the ride home and were not gripping as much. When I arrived at the dealer they said they would order a new rotor and brake pads. My concerns are this - the rear caliper is still applying some pressure to the rotor without applying the brake (you can hear it while pushing the bike) and I don't see how changing the rotor and brake pads will fix this problem. Also, I'm concerned the caliper could have been damaged by the severe heat on the ride home. Are my concerns valid? Also, does anyone know how to "loosen" the rear caliper so that it does not grip the rotor without applying pressure to the foot brake lever? The dealer did not seem to know how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, it is much appreciated!

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
i would get the dealer to strip and bleed through the entire brake system as if its got that hot it could have boiled the fluid, check all the linkages are fine and not sticking.i they do not know how to adjust the brakes and set them up take it elsewhere and do not let them near your bike, it may be just defective rotor that has not be ground properly and the new rotor and pads may work.
If they fit thinner pads thats just going to mask the issue.

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
It's strange because it looks like it's dragging on the inner part of the rotor and not on the rotor face it self, thought it could just be the picture. The dealer doesn't assemble the rear wheel, they should adjust the chain tension. My guess it's either the caliper bracket isn't sitting properly in the swing arm notch or the pads or rotor are out of spec. It could in theory also be the the rear wheel is severily out of alignment.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, just let them fix and I'm with hobbit that they should change the fluid since it could have boiled.

W

wrightme43

Let them fix it. If your not happy call Yamaha, they will be glad to make sure your happy. Ask for copies of the work orders and part lists that replaced. Keep those the copies are your evidence that this was a problem from new. Any warrenty repair that is logged in while in warrenty they are responsible for. Also 3 times back to the dealer for this same problem and the forth lemon law says you get a new bike. They will fix it though.

I am betting they go ahead and replace the caliper as well. Ask about that, just kinda off hand say what if the caliper is bad and is what is causing this? The dealer gets paid by yamaha to fix it. They dont mind spending money and time, it just makes them more money.