What revs

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanting to get an idea how everone is riding. I keep reading talk of rev limiter and red line. I havent even come close to rev limiter i havent even hit red line. I ride between 4500 and 7500 most of the time and at 7500 i must say bike sounds like it is reving too high it just doesnt sound right. Does this thing really keep pulling to 12000 and what does it sound like. I couldnt imagine needing to ride at red line, there again with the naked i sit up pretty much straight, and dont really feel like a racing bike.:)

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
its aural bliss at 10,000 only been there twice as the bike has not had its 1st service yet, yes it sounds stressed at 7K but wind it past this point and it all comes alive but in a controlled manner, remember the motor in these bikes comes from the rabid R6 but it made more managable specially in the S2 version

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
I like wringing out the most out of any engine, it's engineered to rev high and has a certain power band, use it!. I'm not saying I ride like that everyday, though I'll never bog an engine, but for the most part the redline and torque peaks aren't just made up numbers.

In my opinion the three worst things anyone can do to an engine, besides not maintaining it.
1)Not driving, an unused engine is leaky engine. Even worse short trips
2)Bogging the engine, produces extra heat and hell on the crank.
3)Never going wide open to redline, leads to carbon build up.
4)Just because it needs to be said abusing it reving with out load and getting on it before it warms up, these two points makes me cry. I hate people that rev the engines at lights.

Side note I drove my friends car last night, at first he kept saying this isn't automatic you have to shift, I was keeping the car in the power peak(after it was warmend it) After a few minutes he turned to me and said I never knew this car was that fast.

Point of all this ride it like you stole it, it's made to rev high :)

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanting to get an idea how everone is riding. I keep reading talk of rev limiter and red line. I havent even come close to rev limiter i havent even hit red line. I ride between 4500 and 7500 most of the time and at 7500 i must say bike sounds like it is reving too high it just doesnt sound right. Does this thing really keep pulling to 12000 and what does it sound like. I couldnt imagine needing to ride at red line, there again with the naked i sit up pretty much straight, and dont really feel like a racing bike.:)

When you shift at 7500, that is when that motor is starting to hit its sweet spot. I believe red line on the fz6 is 14000 rpm (correct me if I'm wrong). You have to get use to the motor revving high. It took me a while to get use to, I came from drag cars. When these motorcycles start to go is when you would shift in a car. But to answer your question it is fine to rev it. Go ahead and rev her to 12-14 k and hold on with a big smile.:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate you have done all the power mods, so let rip (safely of couse) I find that the bike still takes my breath away when I nail it good. I find that 10,000 rpm is really sweet, and it is still pulling after that. It took me a bout six weeks to get used to the acceleration. I actually had to have the prescription alterd in my glasses as my eyes could not keep in focus. Problem solved now. I really enjoy the take off of the engine, and I love arriving at work with a mile wide grin. As poorwboy states. Its built to be reved. Enjoy.

S

sportrider

When you shift at 7500, that is when that motor is starting to hit its sweet spot. I believe red line on the fz6 is 14000 rpm (correct me if I'm wrong). You have to get use to the motor revving high. It took me a while to get use to, I came from drag cars. When these motorcycles start to go is when you would shift in a car. But to answer your question it is fine to rev it. Go ahead and rev her to 12-14 k and hold on with a big smile.:thumbup:
+1 I shift at 13000-14000 when I'm getting after it!!!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the selling features of the FZ6 is its ability to rev. :thumbup:

Having said that my first 4 stroke many moons ago was a Honda CB125 Twin, it had a 12k redline. But bikes were not built quite as well in them days ;). Coming home one evening there was a sudden loss of power (16 BHP normally) followed by what seemed like the cloud from a nuclear bomb behind me, coming from one exhaust. I rode it home (I was young) with this cloud following me at reduced power (8 BHP or so). I dismantled the engine a few days hence to find a hole in one of the pistons and no oil.

Happy days!!

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
Having said that my first 4 stroke many moons ago was a Honda CB125 Twin, it had a 12k redline. But bikes were not built quite as well in them days ;). Coming home one evening there was a sudden loss of power (16 BHP normally) followed by what seemed like the cloud from a nuclear bomb behind me, coming from one exhaust. I rode it home (I was young) with this cloud following me at reduced power (8 BHP or so). I dismantled the engine a few days hence to find a hole in one of the pistons and no oil.

Happy days!!
normal cb125 then :) i has the Suzi GS 125, my brother CB125 and my old man CG125 we just ed used the thrape the death out of em very rarely my brother would get home without a rebuild:D:D

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Does this thing really keep pulling to 12000 and what does it sound like. I couldnt imagine needing to ride at red line, there again with the naked i sit up pretty much straight, and dont really feel like a racing bike.:)

If you don't let your FZ6 "sing" once in a while, you're missing the BEST PART about owning one. Do it in 2nd gear a few times until you get comfortable with the rush and the engine hitting the high notes. It sounds amazing and I will never get tired of it.
Oh..I see you don't have a red one....never mind, it should still go well enough. :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I havent even come close to rev limiter i havent even hit red line. I ride between 4500 and 7500 most of the time and at 7500 i must say bike sounds like it is reving too high it just doesnt sound right.
I've been driving the same as you, but I'm a complete (well, two months now)
beginner and haven't yet hit 10,000, like you it sounds too high but I know I'm comparing it to my car!
Will be leaving Dr. Jekyll and meeting Mr. Hyde soon enough, just need to get a bit more comfortable! :eek:

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing that the idea of hitting the high rev's goes against your nature, especially if you have stepped out of a car, it sure does for me.
When I took my test it was on a CB500 and the instructor had to keep telling me to hold onto the gears longer. I would get to a point and change because it 'sounded' time. Yet these engines are designed to run faster, engineered to produce more power after the time a car engine is screaming for forgiveness.

On a side note I had a Renault 5 Turbo many moons ago and worried too much about blowing the turbo on it, so drove like a little old lady. Ended up nearly killing the turbo, it just was not used as it was meant to and got carboned up completely. Learned my lesson and once a week would thrash that little thing, worked a charm.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you all like to twist the throttle all the way. As i say it just doesnt sound like it wants to go more, but will definately have to give start twisting, and give it try.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that, when i first got mine, about 3 weeks ago. Around 7000 it doesn't sound the best, but once you get up to 10 or so it's sooooo sweet. Obviously the mpg is seriously reduced. I thought i had a hole in my tank on Saturday. Iwas keeping it in 3rd at about 7000 on the little twisties and then caning it on the straights. Great fun! :rockon:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got my FZ6, I just couldn't get my head around a 14,000 RPM redline....last bikes I rode would have exploded at 7,000 RPM.
delboy's right about the FZ6's motor sounding a bit thrashy at 7,000 RPM, but it sure sweetens up once it gets over that.
(I also like to go at 7000 on the little twisties, but I'm in 2nd, not 3rd:eek: )

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
my thoughts

Because of the high revability of the engine, I feel the break in period isnt really for the engines good, its for the riders good. I am almost 1000 miles on my new bike and i'm just now starting to explore 10k rpms. When I first rode the bike from the dealer, there is no way I could have done that, I would have killed myself. Takes some time to become comfortable with any bike, but this bike seems to take a bit longer to become acustomed too. Its a sit down riding bike with a monster of an engine. Takes a different attitude.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took mine up to 12,000 for the first time this morning. Wow.

Those handlebars aren't just for steering, they're for hanging on for dear life too, huh? :rockon: :thumbup: