Speedometer

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an '04 FZ6 this past May. I've put about 2k miles on it since then and one thing I noticed the whole summer when commuting to work was that the speedometer seemed off (by feel). When I drive my SUV in to work if I do 75 (in a 65), I am in the passing lanes blowing by people. On my bike if I do 80, old women in the right lane pass me. Yes that was embarrassing and a blow to my ego!

Finally, I took my handheld GPS unit on the highway with me and compared the speeds at 10 mph increments from 35 to 95 mph. It was accurate up to 55 then got incrementally worse up to 95. At 95 (by the bike's speedometer) the GPS unit was saying I am only going 81/82. At 65 (bike) the Gps said it about 59/60.

To make sure I used the Gps in my suv and it was within 1-2 mph from 35 all the way to 95 so I know the GPS is accurate.

So my question is this..... Do any of you have the same problem? And any estimates on how much it costs to have it recalibrated? For now I just do the conversion in my head but things like this tend to annoy me to teh point I want it accurate so I will get it fixed.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Common in most all motorcycles and even some cars (100% of the FZ6s as far as I know).

You can buy a product called a "speedohealer" all over the net...lots of people do!
________
Hand Blown Glass

Last edited:

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the speedohealer.

I guess its good to know its not just my bike.....

For now I guess I'll just keep doing the conversion in my head.