Throttle Body Synchronization

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My Motion Pro SyncPRO carb tuner came in the other day. I ordered it from Dennis Kirk for $105 with free shipping. The kit came with all the vacuum hoses and a few manifold adapters, I'm not sure what they are for, but for the FZ6 all you need are the vacuum hoses (which you have to cut yourself into 4 pieces) and the manometer. In addition, one needs to also purchase vacuum hose adapters for the FZ6 (2007 model). I went down to the local Pepboys and bought 4mm adapters and they fit fine fine.

I've been wanting to sync the throttle bodies for awhile now just to see how off they are. Well after calibration I went at it. I was surprised to find that even after only 4,000 miles of ownership, they were off a bit. Using #1 as a reference, it turns out #3 was the most off, followed by #2 and #4. After synchronizing, low to mid RPM operation was much smoother. Idle is now very very steady where as before it would hop around a lil bit. In fact even the exhaust sounded a lil bit different throughout the lower rev range. On my way to and from work I just could not believe how much smoother the engine was. I am very happy I did this myself instead of letting the dearlship handle it. It was very easy and fun to do.

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks .. I will do this tomorrow ... I thought you didn't need anything else other than what came with the motion pro

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks .. I will do this tomorrow ... I thought you didn't need anything else other than what came with the motion pro

I am not sure about the 2006 FZ6, but for my 2007, it has vacuum hoses that are connected to each throttle body. Because of this, I had to buy vacuum hose adapters so I can connect the throttle body hoses to the Motion Pro Carb Tuner hoses.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I never knew what those hoses on the 2007 were for!! thank for the simple explaination. I never thought we would have to do this. So when you hook up the tuner you bought to these 4 hoses they have to read a certain value on the tuner? How do you adjust each throttle body, is there a nut you turn? If you used #1 as a reference and synchronised off this, how do you know that #1 wasn't the most off and would this affect the engine?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Does it look like this:

08-0411.jpg

Last edited:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info. Besides Motion Pro, the other choice is Morgan Carbtune.

Top class Mellofelow, That company is just down the road from where I live!!!! I'll have a look into this, never thought about it to be honest and could explain why the bike sounds that bit rough.

BUT..how do we know what value to be adjusting the throttles to?

EDIT: Check this out:

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLwyAPMBLI"]YouTube - How to synchronize your throttle bodies.[/ame]

Last edited:

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Top class Mellofelow, That company is just down the road from where I live!!!! I'll have a look into this, never thought about it to be honest and could explain why the bike sounds that bit rough.

BUT..how do we know what value to be adjusting the throttles to?

Scorphonic.... let's get a group buy on this. Do you think you can contact the company and see if we get a discount on 10 units?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem, I sent them off an email there asking if any discounts are possible. i'll let you know when they contact me back.

I got an email back from Sean Morgan himself. He said that a discount is available but it all depends on how many you order.

I have been thinking about how to go about doing a group order on this but I honestly dont have the facilities in place to accept any form of money. He said that the discount will be 5 pound at best so i think its better if each person orders their own unit. I checked the postage and its 3 pound to anywhere in the world, 1 pound to europe and free for UK, so all in all not a bad price for a good piece of kit.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
5 pound = $8.88 right now according to google. That's about 9% off.

No worries about getting payment. How about we order from them direct and tell him to charge us with FZ6-Forum discount as you mentioned?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5 pound = $8.88 right now according to google. That's about 9% off.

No worries about getting payment. How about we order from them direct and tell him to charge us with FZ6-Forum discount as you mentioned?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe he issues us a discount code by email?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe he issues us a discount code by email?

Ok something like that I can go for...i'm in the middle of getting a special ring so i'm strapped...

Can we all then voice our interest in this and i will get back to them with a guide number and suggest an fz6-forum discount method upon ordering.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in!

Thanks Scorphonic. :thumbup: The way I see it, one trip to the service center at the dealership would pay this thing off and no waiting while some lunatic mechanic rips your baby apart.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to do this too but am wondering between the mercury and non-mercury ones. I suspect with the mercury ones you use then store away for reuse, no need to retop mercury.

For the non-mercury, I thought it was just colored water but they sell little bottles of it so it seems special and you need to retop before every use or fill because they make you empty it? :confused:

According to the Motion Pro manual that came with the kit, the only time I have to refill it is if the engine sucks it up. The fluid contains Propylene Glycol (I'm guessing its water with extra stuff to keep it from evaporating).

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So when you hook up the tuner you bought to these 4 hoses they have to read a certain value on the tuner? How do you adjust each throttle body, is there a nut you turn? If you used #1 as a reference and synchronised off this, how do you know that #1 wasn't the most off and would this affect the engine?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Does it look like this:

08-0411.jpg

1) The manual does specify a specific pressure reading, but to synchronize the throttle bodies, the goal is to have all of them read the same pressure. So instead of looking for specific values, I adjusted each of them to be at the same level. Now if doing this and the adjustment screws bottom out or fall out, then I would start over. In the manual, should one remove the adjustment screws, it states to just reinstall it and turn it 3-4 times clockwise. Also, I calibrated the SyncPRO to cylinder #1 so might as well sync the others to it.

2) If one lifts up the gas tank and look towards the bottom of the airbox one will see a small manifold with numbers 2,3,4 and 5 on it. There are adjustment screws next to each number, these correspond to each cylinder. Not sure why they did not start with #1 tho...

3) If #1 was the most off and I sync everything to it, then the idle would probably be effected. In that case I just have to adjust the idle speed. Now if it was so off that I bottomed out or completely took of the idle speed screw (unlikely) then I would have to start all over again. This is why there is a given pressure value in the manual as a baseline, but honestly, unless someone has severely tampered with the engine, I would not worry about this so much. There is a very wide range of adjustment and for my FZ6 the most adjustment I made on the manifold was less than a quarter turn on cylinder #3.

And yes, that is exactly what the tool looks like.

Last edited: