Mirror glass removal?

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently got my hands on a set of Kawasaki ZX-6R mirrors. In terms of shape and housing, they're 100% identical to the FZ6 mirrors, with one major exception: they have this really blue tint like you see on BMW cars.

Anyone know how to safely remove the mirror glass from the housings? This is key, I do NOT want to switch the stems or plastic housings; I just want to switch the glass ONLY. There's a hole at the bottom of the mirror where the glass is, but I can't feel any kind of clip or release. I tried jamming a screwdriver in there to force the glass to "pop" out, and damaged the glass instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 Service Manual only shows the whole assembly, so it's most likely glued in...
It's NOT glued in. I've cut the housing open on the ZX-6R mirror. They just pop it in during assembly. The mirror is held in place by a ridge of plastic that runs along the outer edge. Try bending the edge on your FZ6 mirror (at the very top or very bottom, ie in the middle of the "long" side) and you'll see the edge of the glass. In fact, you can even jiggle the mirror in the housing which also proves it's not glued in either. The problem is that I can't bend the housing enough to pop it out, without shattering the glass into a gazillion pieces.

The reason why the manual shows it as 1 piece is because it can only be PURCHASED as a whole assembly: glass + housing + stem.

Any ideas to remove the mirror other than taking a hammer to the glass? :confused:

Last edited: