Possibly the last outing this year...

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mentioned to the chat people last night that I was going to take today off from work and ride since the weather was still holding up in the the high teens (celcius) and promised lytehouse I'd take some pictures. Here they are....

I logged just under 300km (186mi) on this trip that took me out west of the city. Near Lake Wabamum are 4 coal fired power plants. The thing behind the fizzer is a hugancous dragline excavator.

attachment.php

It's digging down into the coal seam that passes through this area and dumping it to either a conveyor belt or massive dump trucks. The picture doesn't do it's size justice, it's freakin' huge!

Off in the yonder is the Epcor Genesee Power Plant.

attachment.php

I would hate to work there. The worst kind of dust anywhere, coal dust. It gets into everything, your clothes, car, and in winter, the area is black over top of the white snow.

When you're near generating stations, you're sure to come across these. I'm sure you're not supposed to do this, but I parked under the 240KV power lines.

attachment.php

The shot didn't turn out like I expected. I wanted to see miles of power towers and lines disappearing into the distance. Kind of shows the autumn colors though.

The next stop was Lac St. Anne Lake. Some kind of pilgrimage gathering happens here in July of every year. The aboriginal call it the "Spirit Lake".

attachment.php

I don't know, I just thought there was a photo opportunity here. The town pier, can you say ooooh.

Man there were a ton of birds still hanging around. They're usually migrating south by now. Maybe these ones came from Alaska?

attachment.php

Some nice color along the shore line and reflection in the water.

In case you haven't noticed, I think I was one step ahead of the rain, although it did clear up later in the afternoon.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the last of the shots. The twisty road around the lake is a nice ride. There are plenty of locations for some nice pictures.

The same town pier in the background.

attachment.php

At the north end of the lake, some provision parking. Not sure why it's there but I pulled in anyway for a shot.

attachment.php

And finally, some autumn color that screaming to me, "your days of riding are numbered!" :(

attachment.php

That's all she wrote. :D

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Incredible pics BD, very jealous that you are out and about today. Its still yuck here (1.5 weeks since my last ride)

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure the jet stream is whisking our happy days your way Steph as our 14 day trend from today is heading for the sewer. :eek: You gotta enjoy the days when you can. I had some vacation days I needed to chew up and thought why would I hold off till winter when you're buying time this late in the season. :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics man! Nice bike too!

Are you using some kind of a filter on your camera? why are the pics so dark/matte?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics man! Nice bike too!

Are you using some kind of a filter on your camera? why are the pics so dark/matte?

Thanks David, I'm using a polarizer filter and gradient neutral density filter to darken the sky a little. The ND filter is a B+W 502.:thumbup: The matte look is just a low F-stop zooming in a little to place the background out of focus.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely pictures Daryl,

My favorite one, is the one of your bike parked up on the road (between the two trees) facing you. You get a great contrast of the tree colours against the blue of your bike.

Nelly

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
sweet pics, and the roads look pretty deserted and in good shape. Looks like you could go all they way there :)

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely pictures Daryl,

My favorite one, is the one of your bike parked up on the road (between the two trees) facing you. You get a great contrast of the tree colours against the blue of your bike.

Nelly

Thanks Neil, I added it to my gallery in 1280 res. :thumbup:

http://600riders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1582

Amazing pics....

BTW, what brand are those exhausts?

That is the titanium Two Brother exhaust system. Bought them on the group buy here on the forum. :D