Clip-ons ???

S

sportrider

I was looking at installing some clip-ons, anyone have um??
I saw were you could use CBR1100 bars by lowering the forks 1.75 inches in the triple clamps. sounds kinda sketchy, anyone try this either??

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Pics (yes I know my bike is dirty right now) --

EDIT - I have re-mounted my clipons below the top triple; the pictures in THIS post are outdated. See a few posts before for updated mounting pics.
________
spanish girl Cam

Last edited:
S

sportrider

did you remove your fairing?
how did that change the handleing of the bike?
is that the same bike as on the track?

Last edited by a moderator:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
did you remove you fairing?
how did that change the handleing of the bike?
is that the same bike as on the track?

My fairing is gone but plenty of people have kept theirs.

turns in faster and supposedly less stable at speed but I have not noticed (edit -- turn in is very noticeable)

same bike but in different form.

They bars are Heli bars from a blackbird 1100 (43mm) and I bought them off eBay. It took about 30 minutes to switch them out.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I think I might do this if the bars clear the fairing and tank with hand room.

Eric08FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever try this? I have an 08 that I am wanting to install clip ons. Let me know how yours turned out. Thanks.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the xx clipons are not compatible with the 07-08 faired versions. Even if it did, I would say try something else, I tried this yesterday and I don't feel comfortable with dropping that nose so deep. The springs are soft, I am heavy and I will probably wait untill I can change the fork springs and oil before I use them again.

Hellgate tried some cool bars out but they are a bit expensive I think. Check out his threads

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
THere are some other threads with a lot more clip-on related information. I currently have my helibars mounted under the top trible with the R6 forks about 5mm from flush.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine were just over $200 used. They are light, good fit and finish, and like any purpose made aftermarket piece, they carry a basic "custom" premium.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
eBay Motors: HELIBARS FOR HONDA CBR1100XX 97/03 heli bars cbr 1100 (item 160222967083 end time Jun-24-08 09:21:34 PDT)

Ummm....why are these so expensive? I mean, couldn't a local "steelworker" do this for me for a fraction of a price if I take the standard XX clipons?

That is one of the reasons I decided to buy the ConvertiBars instead. My Converti were about $325 without counterweights and can be raised for longer ride with the turn of a 6mm bolt. For $50 extra I got full adjustability.

The fairing a tank clearance is pretty tight but I really like the position they put me in. I'd guess I'm about 2.5 inches lower and about 1.5 inches forward from stock. It doesn't sound like much but you are no longer in the sit up and beg position.

The good thing about the Convertis is you do not have to slide the fork up so far. The Convertis mount below the top clamp. I have slid my forks up, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for quicker turn in, makes a big difference.

DI is correct. Once your body is lower and more forward on the bike your turn is quicker and easier into a corner. You'll also be able to hang off a lot easier.

I would think you could have a good welder/machinist fab some up pretty easily.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
old pic but nonetheless...

2196279155_26c4e5e1d8_b.jpg

can see the body position here
2549724947_5ef2d89c25_o.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey DI - I love the look of your bike and your riding position. It has that 1950's, 1960's English Cafe Racer look. Very cool!

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
DefyInertia... would the clipons clear the fairing of a 2005? I'm really tempted to switch to clipps but i dont want to dish out 200$ and then find out they hit the fairing

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DefyInertia... would the clipons clear the fairing of a 2005? I'm really tempted to switch to clipps but i dont want to dish out 200$ and then find out they hit the fairing

Tank clearance is almost a larger issue. Because the tank is so wide in front, you'll need to angle the clip ons into a wider position, ie: more forward. I have an 07 but DI could comment on the 04 to 06.

From what I recall he removed his fairing for the clip ons to clear. Remember he did have them on the top of the top clamp and then moved them below the top clamp. The move to the bottom of the clamp will give you even less clearance with the fairing.

DI - please correct me if I'm off base.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pics (yes I know my bike is dirty right now) --

EDIT - I have re-mounted my clipons below the top triple; the pictures in THIS post are outdated. See a few posts before for updated mounting pics.
How far did you have to drop the forks down or is it raise them through the yokes? Have you had an comfort issues on longer runs Defy? You are probably one of the tallest members.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at installing some clip-ons, anyone have um??
I saw were you could use CBR1100 bars by lowering the forks 1.75 inches in the triple clamps. sounds kinda sketchy, anyone try this either??
Hi Danny,

Have you sorted the poor running problem? Why do you want the clip ons, when most of your riding is distance based. Is there really that much of a noticeable difference with turn in with a more sport based bar?
Is the input required greater or lesser?

Cheers

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is one of the reasons I decided to buy the ConvertiBars instead. My Converti were about $325 without counterweights and can be raised for longer ride with the turn of a 6mm bolt. For $50 extra I got full adjustability.

The fairing a tank clearance is pretty tight but I really like the position they put me in. I'd guess I'm about 2.5 inches lower and about 1.5 inches forward from stock. It doesn't sound like much but you are no longer in the sit up and beg position.

The good thing about the Convertis is you do not have to slide the fork up so far. The Convertis mount below the top clamp. I have slid my forks up, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for quicker turn in, makes a big difference.

DI is correct. Once your body is lower and more forward on the bike your turn is quicker and easier into a corner. You'll also be able to hang off a lot easier.

I would think you could have a good welder/machinist fab some up pretty easily.
Hey Pete,
Forgive me if I am wrong, didn't Eddie Lawson's flat tracker have a straight bar? Boy could he turn that bike in.
I am really struggling to see how the bar makes it easier to get off the bike.

Nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pete,
Forgive me if I am wrong, didn't Eddie Lawson's flat tracker have a straight bar? Boy could he turn that bike in.
I am really struggling to see how the bar makes it easier to get off the bike.

Nelly

Your are right Nelly, in fact he used a Super bike bar with about a 2 to 3 inch rise. The thing I like about a lower bar/clip ons is the stretch you out long on the top of the bike. Because your lower and longer it is easyier to hang off on the FZ and wrap your arm around the gas tank. The old 1000cc bikes from the '80s were very, very long compared to the new bikes so you had more room to move around.

Does that make sence?

Eddie was god