motorcycle test

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to test friday, 31 for my cycle liscence. All I need to do is bring my bike, my permit, my proof of insurance, and a helmet and I can just go in and take it. My understanding is, straight line, brake in the box. Go around some cones and do a U turn. When I took the test for my permit the worker said the test was a joke. I am hopeful I have the skills to pass it, after having my permit sinse july 5th. Wish me luck.

S

sportrider

if possible I recommend going to the DMV today and practice the course to get a feel for it nothing worse then being surprised.

if not, good luck!!!!

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I took mine in Chattanooga..... well actually the Highway patrol station at Racoon Mountain. I rode the bike there and took the written then We go outside and the officer says...
while standing up on the platform (porch) overlooking the parking lot..... "which bike is yours?"

I say the red one (i had a slower one then)

He says, "How did you get here?"

I say, " I rode it here from Chattanooga actually Highland Park...."

He says if you made here from there you know how to ride.....take it arounf th eparkng lot once to let me make sure.

I did and he says you pass.....:rockon:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed.

You guys are not going to believe this. I went to the DMV here in louisville KY. I went in, was sent to room #2. Gave permit and drivers lisence. Was told to go out back, and there was a guy on a Honda taking the test. It was cool as I got to watch him do it, and he did a perfect job. When it was my turn, I was very nervous, when he told me to honk the horn, I engaged the starter hehe. Ok, so I had to weave through a bunch of cones, about 6 feet apart, 12 or so in all. Then do a U turn, weave back, U turn, back up the middle, go to 2nd gear and get 20 mpg, another U turn, stop. Now, on 2 U turns I put my foot down to balance me. I knew I failed as soon as my feet hit the ground. In addition, I ran over a cone. When I drove up to him, he said, good enough. You are a new bike rider, I recommend a MSC course, congratulations you pass!! OMFG. My brother tested last weekend in Indiana, and he went outside the line, and put his foot down, and was failed. Come to Kentucky if you want an easy motorcycle lisence. But now i'm scared to death that they actually allowed me to ride on public roads when I did such a bad job.

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations, but like you say a bit concerning. Like the chap said carry on with the training, it will make you a better rider and increase your confidence.

Over here in the UK they are cutting down on all new drivers; motorcycle and car. Next year it will be even harder to obtain a motorbike license and there are rumors of raising the minimum age to 18.
But then a study carried out claimed that 1 in 5 young drivers in the UK drive whilst under the influence!

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my test in 1977 (yes, I know I'm an old git) rode the bike round the block once in an anti-clockwise direction, did an emergency stop from 15 mph - passed the test.

Ain't so easy these days I believe :p

BTW, congrats Hunter

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:well done hunter an welcome to 2 wheels, our UK tests are incredible stiff and its a 4 parter now, CBT (complusory basic training), theory, visual awarness and practical test constisting of emergancy stop, unturns, walk around uturns, basic maintenance and 40minute assessed ride.
i did mine the hard way i passed CBT allowing me to ride a 125cc bike on the road with learner plates, 6months later i did a direct access course 4days solid training of which 1 on a 125cc to assess and see how you rode and 2 days on a 500cc bike (this allows me to ride what i want:rockon:) the 4th day is test day along with riding before hand to brush up skills.
my test was hilarious i though i failed within 10mins of starting so basically i had a blast, i filtered and lost my examiner (following in car is dumb when i was on a bike:thumbup:) i hit the kerb doing the walking Uturn and did my ridden Uturn were i wanted not were he said to. i got 2 marks in one box and 3rd would have been a fail and when we walked in he asked what i did wrong i told him and he passed me.advising if i had not know he was going to fail me

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Obtaining a motorcycle license (Class 6 endorsement) in British Columbia is a lot more difficult than it was a few years ago.
It's broken up into 3 parts (if you already hold a Class 5 driver's license):-
-Knowledge Test: A multiple-choice exam taken on a touch-screen computer. If you pass, you get a Learner's License with restrictions. These restrictions include (but are not limited to) riding only with another person with a full Class 6 license as your "supervisor", no riding over 60 kph, no riding at night, no passengers.
-Skills Test: The parking lot traffic cone thing which takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Once you pass that, all restrictions are lifted except no riding at night, and no passengers. But now you can ride on your own.
-Riding Test: This is a 1 hour riding test, wearing a day-glow vest with a boom-mike attached. The tester follows you as a passenger in an SUV and gives you directions/instructions during the test. It's not an easy test and a bit stressful, but it's no more difficult than any other hour spent in traffic on a bike.
And that's all there is to it! ;)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
/applause

I have to hand it to you Brits. Your a very safe lot. And, and I know you shouldnt start a sentence with and, but its amazing that you all sound so cheery even though your under the heavy hand of the "MAN"

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got done taking the last of the experienced MSF classes that they will be having for the season here in georgetown, ky and I can just walk in with my waiver card on tuesday and get my motorcycle endorsement. The class was really fun and I was out doing everything the harley guys were doing. I especially liked the end of the training with the multiple corners. One of the things I learned to do was U-turns without touching the ground at sub 5 mph speeds and in a really tight u-turn box. One of the instructors did it on a full dresser harley. Quite impressive.

Khyren

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Back in 99 when I went to get my motorcycle endorsement I told the DMV that I had been riding for 25 years and they just gave it to me. No test or anything.

Now that my son is going to be riding we're going to the MSF BRC oct 20-21