Looking for riding tips.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been commuting to work on my FZ. It's around 60 miles one way, and I have been riding my FZ exclusively. Now I have started to notice that I'm tired and worn out after the day is done. I don't do anything really physical at work, I work on computers. Every day I feel like a Mac Truck ran me over at night.

I enjoy riding and want to work up my endurance to be able to take a long trip and go over a few state lines in the future. I have read that some pro racers like to ride petal bikes to keep themselves in shape. Anyone have other ideas of what to do?

And yes I could use a better bed. :p

I

inkrediboy

Sup WhO - I would say anybody who rides 120 miles roundtrip daily is going to feel a little somth'n, someth'n. That's a healthy chunk monthly. But if you are really feeling really soar and juiced, it means your probably posturing your body incorrectly. Putting strain on parts of you that should be left for other muscles to handle. (like weighing too much on your arms and wrists, instead of letting your lower body, and mid section become a balance point.) Even the small positioning of your heels forward or backward on the rear sets can have a great effect on where your weight sits. Neck positioning, and shoulder positioning, do you tilt downward, and lean forward resting on the tank and blanket of wind, using your stomach muscles and back muscles to float, or do you lift your chin straight ahead, back spine straight stiff upwards absorbing all the shocks, and chest out taking the brunt of the wind impact face first!? With anything, repetitive motion can cause damage (like typing) fatigue, and pain, all this applies to bikes as well. I commute 65 miles a day roundtrip, and ride for another 50 miles after work in the canyons by my house pretty much every day. Then as many hours and miles as I can fit on the weekends (I'm single and have no kids :)), for all intensive purposes, i'm obsessed and on my bike 24-7. Changeup your positioning and you can completely irradicate most of the pains when getting off the bike and endure great distances. I now have zero wrist pain from no longer bearing the brunt of weight on the bars - zero numbness from no longer clinching the throttle and grip excessively , no pinching in the neck by minimizing the amount of force I'm using to push my chin skwyard - I use my eyes instead and tuck my head downwards slightly, zero backpains, no more backbraces, and no more medication for my compressed spine condition from the cruiser days - when I did all of the above wrong. Finding a comfortable position, sitting that way, then shifting that support elsewhere on and off with a variety of differing combinations that keep you safely in control is the trick. Motorcycling is a physical action, and being in shape is a given - but even the most athletic person out here who rides a bike improperly is going to get hosed and work muscles that they typically don't tap.

Aggressive riding in the canyons for me, has been the best training for endurance, and makes freeway rides to work feel like an ice cold beer.....Smoooooooooth and easy :)

Good luck. Know when fatigue is setting in while riding, and rotate your positioning.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I do tend to move around alot when I'm riding. I crouch down when I'm being more aggressive, I sit up when I am looking around or slowing down. I really enjoy the twists and turns. I like to lean in and have wanted to try doing the same on a track I just don't know of any in my area to run on.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As has already been mentioned, paying attention to your posture and being active on the bike will help you to mitigate the beating you might take.

You don't mention your exercise habits. What are you doing off of the bike to get or keep in shape? Gym? Run? Walk? Any core work? If you're new to conditioning you might seek out a good trainer to help you start working on your body. It's not uncommon for folks who don't or haven't exercised in a while to go too hard at the outset and give up because it's painful or they just don't feel as if they know what they're doing.

If you've got a routine already or you'd like to add something simple to begin with, you might pick up one of those swiss exercise balls from a sports equipment store and do some exercises on it. They're great for both stretching and working your core (abdominal and back muscles). The group of muscles that encase your guts and hold you erect are expected to do a lot of work during a day. It doesn't take tons of work to make a noticeable difference.

Learn to stretch or take some yoga classes. There's a book, I believe the title is Stretching, by a guy named Bob Anderson. It's got a great collection of, you guessed it, stretches in it.

Also, are you staying hydrated? Most folks don't realize how quickly the body can get dehydrated. Riding for 60 miles exposes you to a fair chunk of time without a cup holder, not to mention a bit of wind that could also contribute to drying you out. Consider wearing a small hydration pack while you ride. I have to make a ~100 mile ride on a regular basis these days. When I remember to take a pack and stay hydrated I feel much better when I reach my destination.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
To build endurance, you’ll need to build your cardiovascular system by running, skating, cycling, climbing stairs or rowing,… etc. for about 30min per session. If you’re just starting an exercise routine, begin small with 10 or 15 min, then increase your routine as you get more comfortable. Getting in shape doesn’t necessary mean you need to kill yourself during every session.

I personally prefer cycling, it’s low impact on the knees, helps your balance, and if you mountain bike on technical terrain, it may help you handle your FZ6.

I too work with computers all day; I understand finding time to exercise outside of work and family maybe difficult. Therefore, when I can’t ride my bicycle outside, it’s been like that since 2006:D, I hook it onto a trainer and spend 15 to 30 min every 2nd or 3rd day. It is very noisy even with the tire changed to a slick, so I have to do this before everybody's bedtime. Yes, exercising on a stationary machine is extremely boring. What you want to do while pedaling is to read a book or magazine, play a sports video game (I set my hockey game to 10 min per period), watch tv, or surf the net. After cardio, I do a few crouches and push ups as a bit of strength training.

I tried the gym and I hate it. At the end, it’s all about getting fit or physical training. The trick to any exercise routine is to find something you enjoy.

Also, watching your diet will help too.

Good Luck!!:thumbup:

:wav:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on hydrating properly... this alone can make you feel drained as your blood becomes thicker and it takes more of your bodies energy to move it... don't over do it on sports drinks

+1 on exercise... even a light jog or something when you get home before you eat will have added benefits by curbing your appetite and helping your muscles release tension

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with what other have said, exercise, good hydration, good diet (lean, fiber, fresh food, little fast foods).

Do you have the ability to take exercise breaks during the day? My butt is behind a PC all day too and I try to go to our gym twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes a visit. I find that when I do that I feel much better at the end of the day.

Another little trick that may help is wearing earplugs during your commutes. Canceling the noise will leave you less stressed.

Finally are you sleeping well at night? If not drop the caffine drinks and any booze. After a week your natural sleep cycle will be back on track.

Good luck!

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if this tired feeling is new, you should schedule an appointment with your doctor. Fatique can be an indicator of other issues.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their tips.

I do 90 miles round trip to work. My biggest complaint was butt fatigue.

I bought the Yamadog Comfort Seat (cause everything else was too expensive) and it really helped alot. I still have a little discomfort near the end of the commute but nothing compared to the stock seat. While being somewhat softer, though not like sitting on Pamela Anderson's breasts, I think the main benefit is the shape of the comfort seat is more rounded between your thighs so you don't get that pressure point from the more angular edge on the stock seat. I also don't feel as tired at the end of the ride.

If you are experiencing butt fatigue to, check out RonAyers.com they sell the Yamaha Comfort Seat for $155 delivered. The Yamaha Stock Number is ABA-4S821-00-00. It may help.:rockon:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear that the new saddle helped, um, in the end. I have a corbin and like it for the firmness and the narrower shape. Like FZ6er_FSR, I cycle for cardio fitness. There are a vast multitude of bicycle saddles available on the market, all with slightly different shapes and firmness. Ya gotta find one that you can sit on for hours at a time.

One other thing that I'd like to add about the exercise ball -- get one for your work cubicle.

I do software interface design and so am also sitting for my workday. I switch between my chair and the swiss ball throughout the day. You'll be pleasantly surprised how sitting on the ball will make you check your posture and force you to engage those trunk muscles. Plus, if you get super energetic, you can stretch your back on the thing and even hook your toes under a file cabinet, or what have you, and knock out some sit ups and back arches, too. Not only will you reap the benefits of incremental exercise, but getting your blood flowing will help to wake you up and make you just that much more productive...