Temperature range for leather?

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a question for you guys with more experience. I am looking for new gear (pants/jacket) for the winter, and would like to get leather (leather envy, I guess). My question is how warm are most non-perforated leathers?

Houston winters are not bad: most mornings are 40F, with the coldest in the mid 30's, and my commute is 25mi at 70mph or so. Would a simpe shirt or polypro layer under the leathers be sufficient for that?

Last winter was my first riding, and I currently wear a mesh jacket & pants. I know from last year that the jacket & its liner didn't cut it on the cold mornings. I have only had the pants since summer, so I don't know what they'll be like. I do know that bluejeans didn't work!

Thanks for any help.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think leather really helps cut the "wind" factor from the cold getting through. Below 65 degrees F I like to throw the leather on.:Flash:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive always wondered how well those textile pants block the wind. But if i was you, id throw on a pair of thermals for those cold mornings.

When I ride in the canyons, I wear my one piece leather even if its 95 degrees out there. As someones sig on here says, "I'd rather sweat than bleed"

But I to have a 25 mile or so commute to work all freeway. I dont get off til 1030 at night and it gets kinda chilly. I wear boots, jeans, leather jacket, gloves, and my lid. I hate to wear jeans at freeway speeds, but im looking into textile pants

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my heavy leather jacket anywere between 30-75 degrees. It has two zippered vents in front and one in back for the warmer weather. I wear anything from a t-shirt to a sweatshirt to a Gerbing heated jacket liner underneath. With just a sweatshirt I'm good down to 45-50 degrees or so.

I have Firstgear textile overpants. Over Jeans these are good down to 45 degrees or so. Below that I sometimes add some thermal underwear.

The other day I rode the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampsire for 36 miles between 60-90mph. It was 35 degrees out. I was wearing my Leather Jacket, long sleeve t-shirt, Gerbing heated vest, jeans, overpants, Daytona Gortex boots, and Held Steve gloves with silk glove liners. I was toasty except my neck was a little cold and my hands were a lot cold. Time to find some good winter gloves.

-John

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! That is exactly the info I needed. It sounds like the standard single layer leather is not much warmer than my textiles w/liners. Hmmmm, now how can I justify them to my wife!?!

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Figure out a way...leather is nice! In addition to my leather jacket, I have 3 FirstGear textile jackets, a mesh, a medium weight waterproof and a heavyweight waterproof. I avoid my textile stuff unless its raining or hot. :thumbup:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so mesh and textile are different. Textile is warmer than mesh, so don't compare. My textile jacket has a wind liner and a separate thermal liner. Together they are good for 30 degree 30-minute rides that I have. I do wear something that zips up on my nexk to cover it. A neck gaitor would work fine too. I have textile and mesh pants. The textile pants are much warmer than mesh and don't allow wind through. Also, they have a removable thermal liner which works wonders in the New England winters. Even my waterproof boots are better than my summer boots in not letting wind/cold through. My leather jacket is not perforated, but has a removable thermal liner. It is almost as good as my textile jacket with wind and thermal liner intalled. Lastly, mesh jacket is much cooler and better for warmer weather. Mine has no thermal liner, just wind/rain liner. I bought newnice leather pants from Sidi, but have not tried them on yet.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Figure out a way...leather is nice! In addition to my leather jacket, I have 3 FirstGear textile jackets, a mesh, a medium weight waterproof and a heavyweight waterproof. I avoid my textile stuff unless its raining or hot. :thumbup:

hey. ot - those north america map you have with the states you visited colored in. where can i find that?

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
got a trip planned to the NC mts in 2 weeks.... have been trying to determine
Joe rocket Alter Ego with good base layers or my leather jacket

my leather is heavy and is vented but has no back or elbow pads

any ideas??:confused:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in near freezing conditions during our winter, and always wear my leathers, unless it is raining lots, then i put on my textile jacket & pants.

My Leathers are a 2 piece suit with full armour - back, elbows, shoulders, hips, butt, knees, and lower leg, that zips together. The jacket has ventilated arms (perforated leather, the length of the sleeves), but has a removable quilted liner. I find that with the use of full length thermals, both pants & shirt, plus a decent neck sock, good waterproof boots, good wet weather gloves, wind deflectors, a screen, and heated grips, that the cold is not an issue in leathers....which it is if you dont wear the right gear on the FZ6n, as it offers little protection from the elements itself.

Leather is ok in a light downpour, especially if you continue to ride after riding through the rain...dries up very quickly, but in heavy rain, it gets sodden.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup: