Went Down Sat. morning

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hwy 1 north - sweeping 180 degree left hand turn with decreasing radius. Started to drift out and hit some rocks and gravel. Lost the front end and the rest is history.

Broken foot (bone avulsion) and broken ribs, 4" x 6" gear rash (never touched to pavement, still got a bad rasberry through the gear).

Only going about 20 to 25 mph, had all my gear on.

Bike has only cosmetic damage thanks to frame sliders. Fairing mount is a little off center.

Feel lucky though because they thought my spleen might have been damaged :eek: by a broken rib. That was scary. CAT scan was clean :thumbup:

So the gear won't keep you from getting hurt, but it certainly would have been a lot worse without it. Oh yeah, and there were multiple strike points on the side of my helmet, even though I don't remember hitting my head at all.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch town population you bro! That's alot of damage at that low of speed jeez. You just drifted wide and caught some gravel or what? Hope the damage to you and the bike isn't beyond repair.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I was riding with a buddy. He helped me get my head, then checked out the bike for me to make sure it was safe. We were in a pretty remote area so I wanted to ride the bike to the hospital. It was about an hour to an hour and a half away.

I think upshifting with a broken left foot was the most painful thing I have experienced so far in life. Let's hope nothing tops it!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the out. Glad you're going to be OK down the road and ride again! Kudos for gearing up and minimizing the personal damage! Heal up!!

Pics of the bike when you get a chance? ;)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I was riding with a buddy. He helped me get my head, then checked out the bike for me to make sure it was safe. We were in a pretty remote area so I wanted to ride the bike to the hospital. It was about an hour to an hour and a half away.

I think upshifting with a broken left foot was the most painful thing I have experienced so far in life. Let's hope nothing tops it!

Dam! Rode it to the Doc? Tough dude... tough! :D

J

jsteinb95

Atleast you had someone with you!

Holy crap.....an hour and a half?!?!?!

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it may not have been very smart, but it seemed like the most convenient thing to do at the time. You know, ambulance ride (2 + hour round trip) plus bike towed, etc.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are going to be okay. I hear there are some sort of special brownies that expedite the healing process.. you will have to check with rsw81. Cookies and cake work well too ;)

Seriously rest up and take good care!

Deb

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
Get better soon. All my friends laugh cause i scan for gravel before hitting my apex. I think I would rather see it and be prepared than not see it like them and go down.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeez Mate,

Thank God you were not injured more severely. Those ribs will be really sore for a while, try to avoid your friends. My friends thought it was a great laugh to try and make me giggle when I bruised mine lol.

Heal up soon and take care of yourself.

Nelly

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just so we are clear and the gravel doesn't get an unfair reputation.

I went wide, meaning I was no longer on the road, but rather the shoulder.

In other words, my speed in the curve was fine until the radius decreased, then it was no longer OK. The bike started to drift closer and closer to the edge of the road until I was into the shoulder crap.

This really was more my fault than it was encountering unexpected gravel.

As any of you who have gone down know, it all happens very fast. One minute you're golden, the next you're screwed.