From Lurker To Fizzer Owner

Ant

06 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
This forum is NOT the place for people that are afraid to spend $$$. You guys have a serious case of GAS (gear aquasition syndrome)

Been a dirt bike rider (XR500 & XR600) and had very limited street experience by putting around the neighborhood on friends street bikes. Decided it's time for my own bike and ended up lusting over the FZ6.

Signed up for the MSF course next month and was *planning* on getting a bike after. Well, two friends took me to a shop "just to look at helmets n stuff" and next thing I know I'm signing papers. Don't you hate it when that happens:rockon:

Even though I know my way around a motorcycle my etched in stone plan is this: I am a beginner! I'm gonna take my time, ride at MY comfort level and have safe fun. Looking forward to learning and someday being able to help the newbies that come after me.

Btw, that's my Golden Retriever George Patton. He was happy I bought the faster RED one:p

FZ1.jpg

FZ3.jpg

W

wrightme43

Welcome Welcome. Glad your here.

Good gear rocks. Riding dirt I am sure you know all bout it. LOL

Do you think if you took it back right now they would change it for the blue one?

Ant

06 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Welcome. Glad your here.

Good gear rocks. Riding dirt I am sure you know all bout it. LOL

Do you think if you took it back right now they would change it for the blue one?

The blue one according to the scientists at DuPont is .0000000000000000000000000000000002 seconds slower in the quarter mile and I can't have that.

W

wrightme43

Dog gone it. They got that backwards again.

The red requires a base coat, top coat, clear coat
The blue requires a base coat, clear coat.

The extra mass of the paint is what slows the red ones, while allowing the blue to flash away like lighting. LOL

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh noes! I should've gotten a pic of my goldens next to the bike before I left home!

And the silver is the fastest because the black parts aren't painted at all!. :D

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dog gone it. They got that backwards again.

The red requires a base coat, top coat, clear coat
The blue requires a base coat, clear coat.

The extra mass of the paint is what slows the red ones, while allowing the blue to flash away like lighting. LOL

oh no you di-int!!! I actually bought red and blue touch up paint a while back and did some UV-VIS spectroscopy on them to see which one absorbed more light, with the goal of showing which one undergoes more thermal expansion and is therefore slower, blah blah.

I got bored with the project when I realized that I would have to take into account the wavelength distribution of the sun's output but I might have to resurrect this little project to put the red/blue saga to bed!!

What triggered this is that one of my (long list of) assumptions is that the difference in paint mass due to the extra coat on the red ones is negligible. Do you want to help me out and calculate the extra mass? I'll include it in my analysis.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
oh no you di-int!!! I actually bought red and blue touch up paint a while back and did some UV-VIS spectroscopy on them to see which one absorbed more light, with the goal of showing which one undergoes more thermal expansion and is therefore slower, blah blah.

I got bored with the project when I realized that I would have to take into account the wavelength distribution of the sun's output but I might have to resurrect this little project to put the red/blue saga to bed!!

What triggered this is that one of my (long list of) assumptions is that the difference in paint mass due to the extra coat on the red ones is negligible. Do you want to help me out and calculate the extra mass? I'll include it in my analysis.

If you're going to do it - do it right and compare the silver and black as well. You don't want to get partial credit on this project now, do you?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to do it - do it right and compare the silver and black as well. You don't want to get partial credit on this project now, do you?

I would love to include those colors and that exact thought did cross my mind. But the touch up paint is expensive so I made an executive decision to stick to the two colors. If someone is willing to send me samples of silver and black I'd be happy to include them.

Aren't there also two shades of blue? I got the pre-'08 shade. I can include the '08 shade too.

I wouldn't need very much at all and getting it to me should be easy. Just shake your paint bottle, dip a cotton swab into it, let it dry and mail it to me. I can dissolve enough paint from that to do my analysis. You should send me one swab for every bottle that comes with your touch up kit (for example the red I would need three swabs, one for the base, top, and clear coats).

Oh yeah... :hijack:

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't there also two shades of blue? I got the pre-'08 shade. I can include the '08 shade too.
Oh yeah... :hijack:

I think there are 3.. there is the Galaxy blue on the 04+, another blue on the 07, and yet another on the 08...

and agreed :hijack:

Lt_Red

Reaction score
Visit site
Lovely colour! Red is for MEN. Red blooded and red biked fo-sho'.

But hang on, is that a NEW model? Just wondering why the front forks are not black coated...

Red

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pics!

Glad you and George Patton chose the FZ6 (you happen to have also chosen the right color).

Enjoy your ride! :thumbup:

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
What can I say, my Golden insisted on red so I hafta do as I'm told.

Interestingly enough, dogs also think nothing of rolling in a carcass and eating feces for fun, too.

LOL
They have such good judgement.

JK, Welcome to the fizzer club, I know you'll love that bike, even though it's not as cool as the blue ones.

I bet in a month you'll still be finding more to like about it, like me. My favorite thing to hear from the idiots on crusiers is, "Oh, look at the cute little exhaust... so tame sounding!"

I just laugh at them because this bike can and will beat the ever loving piss out of any cruiser, any road, and any day.
-suckers...

Seriously, it handles VERY well, and you'll find your abilities growing to match what it can do. It's a fun ride to be sure.