Helmet vibrates violently at high speeds

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it's the helmet or the aerodynamics of my bike that causes this, but damn... I went for a spin yesterday, and got the bike up to 210 km/h. From 180 and upwards, my helmet started to vibrate so much up to the point that I couldn't focus my vision.

Any one of you experienced this on the FZ6N (streetfighter)?

oxx

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have windshield and fairings, that's why it happens. It's fully normal. :thumbup: Riding without helmet will do the same, I guess (or even worse)! :rolleyes:

P.S. I ride the same bike. Love it!

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it's the helmet or the aerodynamics of my bike that causes this, but damn... I went for a spin yesterday, and got the bike up to 210 km/h. From 180 and upwards, my helmet started to vibrate so much up to the point that I couldn't focus my vision.

Any one of you experienced this on the FZ6N (streetfighter)?

Felt the same experience yesterday, without that BIG "O" fairing up front this is to be expected.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh well, nice knowing that it's not my fairly cheap helmet that caused it:rolleyes:

And yes, I also love the bike. Easy to ride, goes quite fast and accelerates well!

@ITSME: Shouldn't you be in bed?? *calculates* nine hours time difference, means that it's 5:30 AM in Seattle?

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh well, nice knowing that it's not my fairly cheap helmet that caused it:rolleyes:

And yes, I also love the bike. Easy to ride, goes quite fast and accelerates well!

@ITSME: Shouldn't you be in bed?? *calculates* nine hours time difference, means that it's 5:30 AM in Seattle?

Worky Worky! thats why im up so early, its nice tho because when everyone else here is at work im leaving to head out and enjoy the afternoon sunshine:rockon:

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have windshield and fairings, that's why it happens. It's fully normal

Totally agree and that's why I went for the faired model. Last year I had an SV650N and at anything above 100mph I felt like I was being beaten around the head constantly. While I can appreciate the look and feel of naked bikes, I really do like them, the main reason I went for the Fazer was it was faired. If I was just zipping around the city it wouldn't have bothered me but even going to work is 100 miles each way for me.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree and that's why I went for the faired model. Last year I had an SV650N and at anything above 100mph I felt like I was being beaten around the head constantly. While I can appreciate the look and feel of naked bikes, I really do like them, the main reason I went for the Fazer was it was faired. If I was just zipping around the city it wouldn't have bothered me but even going to work is 100 miles each way for me.
I used to ride naked, like you I als switched as I was unable to ride a lower speeds lol.
On a serious note I was getting huge neck strain from it.

Nelly

Reaction score
Visit site

Get some $$$$ together and buy a decent helmet. That will take care of lot of the problem. I did and it did. Unless your head is only worth" fairly cheap". GRUMPY

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
At high speed on a nekkid bike you're probably as streamlined as a brick wall traveling along a road, cheap or expensive helmet makes no difference to whether you're going to be beaten around by the wind.

A more expensive helmet is more likely to weigh less, be quieter and protect you more if the worst comes to the worst. There's various studies on the 'net about the drag when on a nekkid bike, check 'em out.

The helmet I have now is the same helmet I had when I had my SV650N and cost around $400 (I don't call that cheap really) - it's the fairing that made the difference at speed.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am surprised you asked. That is extremely fast with no faring, I assume you were laying on the tank and hiding behind you speedo?

Glad the wind buffeting was the worst of it.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Laying on the tank stops this on the 07 due to the shape of the gauges .:D Not that I recommend it:eek: (did that last bit sound sincere enough?:D) Only the top two inches of your helmet get hit. I did have the neck strain problem riding 550km/350 odd miles into a 40knot headwind at 120km/h ...75 mile/h. same as doing those sorts of speeds for 5 hours without the rush:eek:....lol. Ouch:(
Cheers
Mike.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Get some $$$$ together and buy a decent helmet. That will take care of lot of the problem. I did and it did. Unless your head is only worth\\" fairly cheap\\". GRUMPY

I paid roughly 350$, or a couple of thousand NOK for those of you that's familiar with norwegian currency. It's not THAT cheap, I think.

Here it is, by the way:

m001_01.jpg

Last edited:

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
As I eluded to earlier your helmet won't stop you getting buffeted by the wind anyway. What you generally get, and I did write "generally", from a more expensive helmet is lower noise levels and a helmet that is lighter. Therefore you won't go deaf as quick, nor will your neck ache as much.

Nice helmet and it's the right colour :thumbup: