who switched bike from "big" cc to 600cc (FZ6)?

B

Bandit

Is here anybody who switched bike from "big" cc to 600cc?

I would like to hear your opinion.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
The last bike I owned was a VF 1100cc Honda but I didn't use it as daily transportation like I use the FZ6. It took me a little while getting use to the higher revs of the 600 but I don't even pay it any attention now. If you want to know if I have any "cc envy" the answer is no. I don't miss the extra cc's because I've learned how to work the FZ6's powerband and it's loads more fun to fling around than the old 700 and something pound Honda.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I went from 1540 cc Harley to the FZ6 ----though I kept the HOG I have only riden it once since the FZ6 shares the stable. Kind of hard to want to drive the Vista Cruiser Station Wagon when the lotus is there and ready:thumbup:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched from a Yamaha Vstar 1100 cruiser to my FZ6. I originally got the Vstar to go on long trips with a passenger. I no longer carry a passenger on the back and most of my riding is daily and under 30 miles . I guess mostly neighborhood riding. The FZ6 has almost twice the horse power of the 1100 with 200 pounds less weight. Before I sold my V-star I bought the FZ6. Switching from riding the 6 to the star I felt like I jumped on a lead sled. The V-star felt very cumbersome and hard to maneuver around the city roads compared to the FZ6. On freeways I do miss my V-star. It was very smooth and more comfortable than the FZ6. But, I have enjoyed the quicker passing acceleration I get with the FZ6. I miss the convenience of my locking, hard, saddle bags I had on my V-star. I haven't taken the FZ6 on a long (100+ miles) trip yet. I already know it will not be as comfortable as the V-star. But, I seldom take long trips anymore.

Over all I am happy with the switch to the FZ6. The more I ride it the more I like the bike. I have noticed something though, cage drivers don't seem to be as friendly to me as when I rode my V-star. My riding habits did not change when I switched bikes, and I am just as courteous to other drivers as I was on the V-star, so I wonder why the unfriendliness from the other drivers? Doesn't make much since to me. Maybe it is because the bikes that you usually see speeding weaving in and out of traffic look like the FZ6 (sport bike look). I am guessing that is it, but I am not sure.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
me too

I also get attitude in traffic. I pace the flow and rarely feel the need to be faster than anyone. I am quick to slow down and nod someone into the lane in front of me. I feel if i'm courtieous Perhaps I can minimize the risk of 2 wheel travel. Everyone feels they need to go faster than me. And I feel they get pissed when you just throttle hard for 5 secs and get 200 feet away from them. I guess people respond to the viseral and primal urge to hunt the prey, to go on the hunt. What do you think, is that it? Or is it that our bikes are so sexy people feel inadiquate and need to get ahead so they stop crying?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting, and wearing, a "Hello Kitty" pink backpack, bet that'll reduce the hostilities! :D

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had many large cc bikes. My last three in order were an 2005 Harley Dyna Wide Glide, a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600, and a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R. No picture of the Mean Streak
P1010005-1.jpg

NewHouse005.jpg

The Harley was extremely comfortable on longer trips (really comfy seat) but the brakes were crap and the power was nothing to write home about. The Mean Streak had a crappy seat for rides over 1 hour, but way better power and handling than the Harley. The brakes on the Mean Streak were the best I've ridden on a cruiser bike. Both the Harley and Mean Streak were seriously lacking on ground clearance so you couldn't lean very much into turns.

Now the ZRX1200R on the other hand, awesome bike. Great handling, great brakes, great power (especially mid range), and a very comfortable riding position. Actually wish I still had this bike. When I went on the hunt for a sportier bike, the FZ6 won mostly by default. Kawai doesn't make the ZRX any more and the bikes they have in the segment are either way under powered or just plain ugly. Same thing with the Suzuki's, both the V-Strom and Bandit are ugly (in my opinion). Honda has the 599, but also ugly and no fuel injection. When I came across the FZ6, I was so happy to find an inline 4 with fuel injection that looked really nice. The center stand and digital speedo were just icing on the cake. I've had my FZ6 for just about 2 1/2 months now and just turned over 4K miles on it today. Needless to say I really like riding the FZ6.

My only complaints so far are the flat spot in accelleration through the middle of the RPM range (never had this issue with the ZRX, but it was also twice the cc's) and the seat hurts my backside after about an hour in the saddle. I have found that if I stand up on the pegs while riding I can do a couple of hours plus at one stretch. My longest day trip to date was a 325 mile trip throught the Sierra Nevadas through Reno, Virginia City, and then around Lake Tahoe.

The more I ride my FZ6, the more I like it. I even looked at an FJ1300 the other day since I have been doing alot of longer trips, but just couldn't see giving up the FZ6 for a bigger, heavier, and WAAAAYYYYY more expensive bike. I think I'm going to have to find myself some soft saddle bags for carring gear with me. Anybody got any suggestions on a good set of bags?

Sorry for the length of the post.

Marty

J

jeffm

Had a couple with more CCs

The FZ-6 is my fourth different bike in 3 years and has the smallest cc engine of all. I put between 4,000 and 5,000 miles on each bike before I sold them and changed. So I had a good idea of the kind of bike I wanted as far as handling, power, fuel capacity, weight, purchase price and insurance costs. I can honestly say my 06 FZ-6 has been great and does everything I need it to do. Here is the list in the order of which I owned them.

2000 Suzuki LS650 Savage (650 but single cylinder very wimpy)
2005 Suzuki S83 (1400 cc)
2002 Kawasaki Concourse (1000 cc and very top heavy)
2006 Yamaha FZ-6 (KEEPER!)

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
I have actually owned 2 FJR1300's an 03 and now an 07. Though they are bigger and heavier they carry their weight well. The power (torque and hp) is unbelievable. The brakes are very strong. The handling is very good considering the weight. The touring capabilities are very good as well. The FZ6 is much like the FJR in every respect except its 2/3 the weight ,which makes handling a breeze especially in low speed situations.

I'm planning on doing some track days on the FZ6.

Glenn

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from 1540 cc Harley to the FZ6 ----though I kept the HOG I have only riden it once since the FZ6 shares the stable. Kind of hard to want to drive the Vista Cruiser Station Wagon when the lotus is there and ready:thumbup:
I know exactly what you mean and mines only a XL1200 :)
i also have a xvs1100 but most of my bikes have been 600ccor there abouts as any bigger is a waste unless its sofa on wheels :D