Mod to stock can

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read some threads with people saying when they drill out stock cans they needed a masonary bit to get through the ceramic inside. Well ive done the drilling and at least in my can there was no ceramic just one layer of tin. The masonary bit finally got through, burnt the crap out of it but got through. It would have been easier with a metal bit, but they are 5 times dearer.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read some threads with people saying when they drill out stock cans they needed a masonary bit to get through the ceramic inside. Well ive done the drilling and at least in my can there was no ceramic just one layer of tin. The masonary bit finally got through, burnt the crap out of it but got through. It would have been easier with a metal bit, but they are 5 times dearer.
So what’s the result mate? Where did you drill exactly? Was it worth it?

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Due to doing both mods, this and the airbox, sound is better and feels like way more giddy up, but may be imagination. I dont think so though im 110kg and going for a ride after he front wheel was feeling very light without pushing as hard as usual. Im trying to upload photos but having problems, i will put photos up as soon as can, you just stick it in and drill, how big is up to you, i started with 3 small holesin each side, and stepped up to 4 3/8 2 5/16, sounds fluffy but deeper at idle, and my missus said now can hear it going around the block.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Due to doing both mods, this and the airbox, sound is better and feels like way more giddy up, but may be imagination.

Probably your imagination as you're likely running fairly lean at this point...you need to introduce more fuel to the mix in order to really make more power across the band. Get a PCIII!
________
Ocean View Condominium

Last edited:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Photos of air mod, emissions i dont fully know, epople on this site and others say it should be running lean, but as a mehanic i dont see that it will affect it all that much with the efi system compensating for air flow change. the only reason i did this mod was lack of money, so i did one hole at a time to one size, still not th right sound , then stepped up hole size, couldnt afford to go gung ho and end up with a unusable can. Little by little to be on the safe side. once again thats why drilling the holes in the air box, not too hard to repair if needed, only genuine parts avaliable here and yam know how to hurt you.

kyle_ott

Reaction score
Visit site
i too did the airbox mod....sounds good. But i wouldnt recomend drilling or cutting more than one hole in the airbox, it will only cause turbulance.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i too did the airbox mod....sounds good. But i wouldnt recomend drilling or cutting more than one hole in the airbox, it will only cause turbulance.

if you are responding to my post, i meant in the exhaust, good point about the airbox though.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the airbox mod and the stock can mod.......i noticed a difference when i did the airbox but not so much on the exhaust. I finally just went down and got some scorpions and the pc3. Now that made a difference. I would also recommend changing up the gearing. I went one tooth down in the front and 2 teeth up in the back.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, please note that the gear changes will affect your speedo...........even though it says you are doing 80mph you might only be going 70 to 75. So it will rack up extra miles over time.