Bags Connection Speedpack, Tankbag, and Tentbag

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to increase the luggage capacity of my Fizzer, and also give motorcycle camping a try. I've looked at the GIVIs, they seem to be a quality product but I don't like the permanent brackets and bars you have to install on the bike, kinda screws up the look for me (although I think they look cool on, say, a BMW 1200!)
Anyway, I coughed up the change and bought the Bags Connection Wide Speedpack, XL tankbag (I've been using the small tankbag for commuting for about a year now), and the Tentbag. To attach this brand of tankbag, you have to install a special ring around your gas cap, not good if you do a lot of track days and hug the gas tank.

Here's the side view of my Fizzer with all three attached:
watermark.php

The rear view, you can see the tentback strapped onto the top of the Speedpack. Does this bag make my butt look big?
watermark.php

Here's a closeup of how the two rear straps attach. You permanently attach a small D-ring via your license plate bolts (and it fits with a FE too, as seen) then thread a strap through it, thru one D-ring on the bottom part of the "saddlebag", then into a spring-loaded clamp; takes about 20 seconds for each strap (once you know what you're doing).
watermark.php

Here's how the front two straps attach. Just loop thru the pillion footpeg, thru one D-ring and into another clamp.
watermark.php

Finally, here's a shot of the whole thing off the bike; the tentbag is to the left; the saddlebags can detach from the main bag but the whole thing goes onto the bike as one piece.
watermark.php

One thing I like about this item is that nothing touches the muffler at all, and the whole thing fits on the pillion portion of the seat, the only paint it touches is on the pillion handles. The bags actually come with some clear vinyl you can cover the paintwork with, but I think that'd look tackier than some wear on the pillion handles.

Not cheap, but cheaper than a GIVI setup, and the only thing left on the bike permanently are two small D-rings on the license plate. These bags are available from TwistedThrottle.com (their catalog and their website are great; you can look at everything they offer in the front half, then look up your particular bike in the back half and see what items will fit, with photos).
Provided it doesn't start snowing, I plan on a quickie three-day trip next weekend, I'll be sure to take some photos!

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gah. If anyone can tell me how to get pics that I've uploaded into my Gallery here at FZ6-Forum.com to display on the above post without clicking, and in a decent size, I'd appreciate it! I went thru the FAQs before attempting this and couldn't find anything... :confused:

A

Aggietaco

That's a lot of luggage. Have you filled it up and given it a test yet? Only thing I don't like about that versus a hard bag set up is how high all of the weight is. Otherwise, they look great and it looks like you've got TONS of space!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gah. If anyone can tell me how to get pics that I've uploaded into my Gallery here at FZ6-Forum.com to display on the above post without clicking, and in a decent size, I'd appreciate it! I went thru the FAQs before attempting this and couldn't find anything... :confused:

Two ways, either click the little "mountain" icon then past the url which puts the "
" around the url or just type them in manually.

watermark.php

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two ways, either click the little \\"mountain\\" icon then past the url which puts the \\"
\\" around the url or just type them in manually.

watermark.php

Thanks, and it looks like you got it to work, I'll have to futz with it some more at home. :confused:

EDIT: Futzed, and successful, but damn there's gotta be a better way...

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had my first long trip with this setup this weekend, drove down to Tooele Utah for my Reserves weekend. Drove across Weber Canyon on the way down, very vicious crosswinds, and it didn't seem to notice them at all, nice! Once I got on I-80 west of Salt Lake City the speed limit goes up to 75 mph, so I got it up to 85 or, heh, maybe a bit more, and I didn't notice any extra drag. Looking into both rearview mirrors, my arms/shoulders completely mask the outline of the bag setup, so I don't think I'm picking up much, if any, extra drag at all.
Once down in Tooele, I got to check it's waterproofness, as it poured the whole weekend! Kept everything dry, as far as I could tell (kudos also to my new FroggTogg rainsuit and bright-orange "Sleestack" (3-finger) Aerostich raingloves). I could loosen the bag setup and carry it to my room in less than 30 seconds, just a bit longer to secure it.
A couple of my teammates followed me into work this morning at 0700, they said the reflective piping on the bags could be seen from a long way away, very bright.
I'm sold! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you like your tankbag? I have been looking at one of those on Twistedthrottle and I think it will be on my list of things to buy this spring. Do you have the one that has power?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you like your tankbag? I have been looking at one of those on Twistedthrottle and I think it will be on my list of things to buy this spring. Do you have the one that has power?
I like them (I have both the small and the large versions now) although the top opening is the same for both; I can barely fit a Newsweek magazine into the opening without wrinkling it. My old magnetic tankbag had the zipper right on the edge all the way around, I could actually carry a twelve-pak in it!

I do not have the power option, nor will I. First, I don't have an iPod; secondly, I don't like the idea of mechanical pin electrical contacts right around the gas cap opening! :eek: