stupid clutch question

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a bit of a stupid question to ask, and im only asking because if i dont get some comfirmation ill sit here and worry about it until something happens!

i was going down a hill earlier at 30mph in neutral, then as i as approaching the bottom i pulled in the clutch and shifted into first and onwards to get ready. but when i pushed it into first, with the clutch still in of course, there was a massive jolt, like when u put it in first after turning it on or at traffic lights. but this was more violent than usual.

would this have damaged my clutch or something?

sorry for the stupid question:ban:

D

D-Rock

I have a bit of a stupid question to ask, and im only asking because if i dont get some comfirmation ill sit here and worry about it until something happens!

i was going down a hill earlier at 30mph in neutral, then as i as approaching the bottom i pulled in the clutch and shifted into first and onwards to get ready. but when i pushed it into first, with the clutch still in of course, there was a massive jolt, like when u put it in first after turning it on or at traffic lights. but this was more violent than usual.

would this have damaged my clutch or something?

sorry for the stupid question:ban:

mine does it to. but I dont jam it into first at 30 with the clutch in. it pisses the tranny off. I'm not trying to start another oil thread but, good oil makes the tranny happy. less clunks, pops, and missed gears.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nope, no issues, a lot of tranny's have a safety built in that won't let it shift into first over a certain speed, the clunk is you overpowering the safety... just shif below 10 into first and you should be fine... 30 is much to fast for downshifting into first...

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i was just chechking thanks guys. i didnt shift straight into it, i just put it in first with the clutch held in and shifted straight upto about 3rd so it could take the 30mph ok when i released the clutch.

its just the big jerk that happened when i did put the hear in 1st (with the clutch in). no worries lol, i always just like going down big hills in neutral for some reason lol

thanks for the replies :):thumbup:

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
You may also notice a more audible pop going into 2nd as well. I never put my bike into neutral and coast down a hill. None of the gears will be meshed when you are at a considerable speed. Put your bike on its centerstand and start it. Pull the clutch in and put it in first. Is there a more audible sound from the tranny? Does your rear wheel sorta jump or bump, or even turn a slight bit? The clutch is dissengaging the tranny from the motor, but not 100%. And this is totally normal. There will always be some sort of drag. (Or if there is no drag, your clutch is problably not totally releasing, meaning you could wear your clutch out prematurely). Thats why when you put your bike in gear at 30mph, you got a jerk and a pop.

I hope I did not confuse you. It makes sense to me...but then again, I am just one chromosome (< I spelled that wrong) away from being mentally handicapped.

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah...She also told I was the only child that "lived".

Don't make me :spank: ur ass twice in one day.

:hijack: