i need more pick me up!

ana9307

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm not so much worried about increasing the speed.. i just want to get up to speed faster so i'm not always lagging behind my friends.. i hope this make sense and i don't sound stupid.. but any help would be most appreciated.. haven't done much to it yet.. mainly just a new two brothers exhaust and flush mounts to the running/blinkers.. oh and of course the fender eliminator kit.. i'm new to all this so bear with me.. thanks..:bow:

ana9307

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks.. if i do that will i loose much speed? my friends drive like maniacs.. lol.. they said i should turbo it.. not sure about that..

i'm from the pasadena, glen burnie, baltimore triangle.. lol

ana9307

Reaction score
Visit site
well i keep a little.. lol.. i'd just like to zoom past them every now and then.. when i first got the bike i was new at the whole riding thing.. now that i'm use to it i just feel like i'm lagging and it's driving me crazy.. let's see there's a zzr 600, a fz1 and a cbr in my little motorcyle group.. needless to say i have the least amount of pick me up.. though the cbr doesn't drive fast or zoom by me.. but i ride with them the least.. don't know about the wheelies though.. never done one myself.. though i've been on the back of a bike that's done one.. it's crazy scary but in a good way.. any other mods that u recommend..

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
ok sage wisdom alert------- Slow down....if this is your first bike and it is an 08 then your vast riding experience is shall we say limited. The bone stock FZ6 is fast enough to get you in trouble quick

Find out where they are going and then go your own pace. When you are pushing limits to keep up with either more skilled or crazy riders it is a recipe for disaster.

You have 2 boys ----they need a mom

sage wisdom alert --OFF
--------------------------

do not read into this never go fast. I have had my FZ6 north of 130mph and like to let its motor sing now & then

I have over 180,000 motorcyle road miles experience and 12+ years of dirt riding prior to road riding
------------

be careful catch up is a dangerous game:rolleyes:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you running stock tires? If so, be careful in hard braking and cornering, these are not the best tires ever made. I had my front tire slide out from under me under hard braking. Not too pleased with them to say the least. Otherwise, for speed, -1 front sprocket and +2 in the rear for quicker acceleration. A power commander will do wonders also. all depends on your budget. a front sprocket is around 40 bucks while the pc3 will run you about 300 plus a few hundred more for dyno tuning.

W

wrightme43

Back off man. Let them ride as fast as they want.

Wrecking sucks!!!!!

Learn how to carry more speed thru the corners and you wont have to worry about power.

If your riding with a group that leaves you, and are trying to keep up the end result is a wreck or a bad scare that slows you down.

Here is the deal, from someone that tossed his bike down the road. Chill, its lots of fun to ride, its not lots of fun to pick up your bike and look at it her all broken, scratched and dented.

Ride in your comfort zone. This bike is just crazy fast. There are faster bikes but they are also just crazy fast.

Seriously man, I could of died had a car been coming. Lots of us on here have wrecked. Most of the time it is rider error wether it is admited or not. Ego will get us killed.

Ok Rant off.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sprockets?

You'll lose top end... but you said speed wasn't what you were after.

-1 on the front and or -2 on the rear.;)

BTW Welcome to the forums!!

Where in Maryltucky are you?

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but you need to go either -1 in the front or +2 in the rear. Going -2 in the rear will negate the -1 in the front.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
ok sage wisdom alert------- Slow down....if this is your first bike and it is an 08 then your vast riding experience is shall we say limited. The bone stock FZ6 is fast enough to get you in trouble quick

Find out where they are going and then go your own pace. When you are pushing limits to keep up with either more skilled or crazy riders it is a recipe for disaster.

You have 2 boys ----they need a mom

sage wisdom alert --OFF
--------------------------

do not read into this never go fast. I have had my FZ6 north of 130mph and like to let its motor sing now & then

I have over 180,000 motorcyle road miles experience and 12+ years of dirt riding prior to road riding
------------

be careful catch up is a dangerous game:rolleyes:

Definitely. The FZ6 is more than capable of keeping up with 2 out of the 3 bikes. It's the rider that's limiting the bike at this point.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Back off man. Let them ride as fast as they want.

Wrecking sucks!!!!!

Learn how to carry more speed thru the corners and you wont have to worry about power.

If your riding with a group that leaves you, and are trying to keep up the end result is a wreck or a bad scare that slows you down.

Here is the deal, from someone that tossed his bike down the road. Chill, its lots of fun to ride, its not lots of fun to pick up your bike and look at it her all broken, scratched and dented.

Ride in your comfort zone. This bike is just crazy fast. There are faster bikes but they are also just crazy fast.

Seriously man, I could of died had a car been coming. Lots of us on here have wrecked. Most of the time it is rider error wether it is admited or not. Ego will get us killed.

Ok Rant off.

Wise words my bro. See people, a safe rider here, like me... LOL. Ride with in your comfort zone. Let your friends ride their crazy rides. It’s the rider that makes the bike, not the bike. Doing all the extra mods like -1 and -2 of your sprocket is waist of time and money if you ask me. We ride on the streets fellas not on the track. The bike is fast as hell. I take on and bike up to 750 CC. I **** on those GXR's 600's and 750's.
Concentrate on you riding skills. The mods you put on later will just make it that much more sweater and appreciative.
Ride safe all.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if ur fallin behind on an fz6 then ur buddies must be rippppppping it. if thats the case you should check into a hospital as a preventative measure.

ana9307

Reaction score
Visit site
ok.. i think i gave some of u the wrong impression.. i don't want more top speed.. i agree the bike goes fast enough.. and i'm not zooming around curves and want not.. and my friends really don't drive like maniacs.. i just feel like my bike has no pick me up.. i don't think i'm explaining myself right. because some how my message got screwed up.. i guess i want more acceralation at the get go.. i don't know if i'm making any sense.. and i have wrecked before so i'm well aware of the dangers.. but thanks for all of the concern.. does this help clear anything up?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
ok.. i think i gave some of u the wrong impression.. i don't want more top speed.. i agree the bike goes fast enough.. and i'm not zooming around curves and want not.. and my friends really don't drive like maniacs.. i just feel like my bike has no pick me up.. i don't think i'm explaining myself right. because some how my message got screwed up.. i guess i want more acceralation at the get go.. i don't know if i'm making any sense.. and i have wrecked before so i'm well aware of the dangers.. but thanks for all of the concern.. does this help clear anything up?

Drop a tooth in the front, or go up 2 in the rear. You'll have a hard time keeping the front end down them.

Or just learn to use the clutch.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
does this help clear anything up?

no, not really.

Aside from going -1 in the front, spend your time/money working on your skills if going fast is what you want. I bet if you dropped some coin on 3 or 4 track days your bike would be majically faster the next time you went riding with your buddies. Alternatively you could spend a little more money to get yourself some pipes, PCIII, and a professonal tune but you wouldn't be any faster except for in a straight line.

In order to get around a track fast, you need to maximize the amount of time you're at or near WOT. There is a lot that goes into that, but I suspect you're parking it in the corners, standing it up, and then snapping the throttle open at 5,000 to 7,000 RPM and feeling disappointed as a result. The stock FZ6 has plenty of ooomph to highside your a$$, especially on stock tires, so unless your rear-end is stepping out on corner exit, you're the limiting factor when it comes to acceleration.

I don't ride at anything more than a spirited pace on the street and don't suggest that you do. Just take it easy and have fun. A wise man once said, when it comes to riding well, "it's all between the ears" :thumbup:

Oh yeah, check out the Track technique & Riding Skills subforum for information on track days if you're interested in going that route.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/trac...neral-track-day-info-getting-started-etc.html

:thumbup:

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice your clutch work first... shes fickle. SLOWLY build up to increased throttle and faster easing out of the clutch on take off. DON'T DUMP THE CLUTCH! Once you are on the move take it to higher RPMs before you shift gears to use the bikes powerband effectively. If you practice the bike should give you more acceleration just by you getting better. If after practice that still isn't enough then spend the $40 dollars on the front sprocket if you want a little more, its only $40.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Start with going -1 on the front sprocket, this alone will make a world of difference in your acceleration. Screw the top end speed, you'll still have more than ample speed for anything you're willing to do on public roads.

W

wrightme43

Take Defys advice. The most cost effective increase in power/speed is rider skills.

If you just want to keep up in a straight line, you need to use the revs of the motor.
dont let it fall below 7500 rpm then it will rip.

If you just want more pull change your sprockets but they wont help if your not in the rpm band that has power. Does that make sense?

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice your clutch work first... shes fickle. SLOWLY build up to increased throttle and faster easing out of the clutch on take off. DON'T DUMP THE CLUTCH! Once you are on the move take it to higher RPMs before you shift gears to use the bikes powerband effectively. If you practice the bike should give you more acceleration just by you getting better. If after practice that still isn't enough then spend the $40 dollars on the front sprocket if you want a little more, its only $40.

I would say this would be the best way to get your bike to get up and go. I ride with a Rocket III, VTX1300, ZZR1200, GXR1100, and some sort of Harley :confused: I never have trouble keeping up with them off the line. Top end they get a little more spirited than I am comfortable. I have topped out at 113mph that was good enough for me. Shifting with higher RPMs will get your acceleration up. Also, taking Defy's advice is always a good thing. ;) (do I get brownie pts Nate?) These guys (Necrotimus, Wrightme43, Lone Soldier etc..) on here are not nut jobs on bikes, they are responsible smart riders, that like to go a little fast, who doesn't? If you are having that much trouble keeping up with these guys maybe you should either find other riders to ride with until your confidence and skills are better suited to these guys. Sorry if I sound like a Mom.. I am one, and would hate to hear of you wrecking to keep up with the boyz.

Take care,

Deb

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
let's see there's a zzr 600, a fz1 and a cbr in my little motorcyle group.. needless to say i have the least amount of pick me up.. though the cbr doesn't drive fast or zoom by me..QUOTE]

I have the 15t counter sprocket. Its a superb way of getting faster accel. with just thought you will, or should i may say, beat the 600s. My cousin has the repsol600 and I can beat him in the straights, not the twisties tho!:Flip:

As for the FZ1, Id like to see how a -1/+2 would do vs that. If you do the -1/+2 it will be the same as the r6 right?

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
OH ya, I clutchless up shift 90% of the time or so, the 10% is riding 2 up. If you can get good at that it will help with your shifting times.

If you are riding with your friends and you are at a stoplight making lets say, a right, Its only millimeters from going over on that easy right turn. I know a few people who have crashed like this. No damage to body, bike might be ok, but when your getting off your arse after crashing going 10, you might feel a bit embarassed. I know they were.

Have you taken a motorcycle saftey course?

ana9307

Reaction score
Visit site
yes i've taken a safety course.. i'm well aware of how to ride my bike as far as shifting and using my clutch.. from ur responses i can see no one is getting what i'm trying to say.. i do not want my bike to go faster.. it goes fast enough..

but thanks for all the comments.. i'll just fiddle and see what happens.. i'm not an idiot.. i've done most of my mods myself.. next project being the air box mod and maybe removing the secondary butterflies(not sure if it has any, but we'll see).. looking into the power commander.. kinda on a budget right now though..

but as far as my original question goes.. not talking top end.. taking off the line is what i'm talking.. i know my friends bikes will always blow me away..

the only way i know to make an fz6 into an r6 is to change the head.. that's basically the only difference.. so i don't think changing the sproket will make it a r6.. but thanks for the help.. i'm use to working on cars not bikes.. just trying to learn here.. thanks again..