A question for the technical guru’s;

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
After fitting the two brothers exhaust system to my 2006 FZ6, the bike seems to be running too lean. The engine surges whilst idling and it also backfires on deceleration.

Besides fitting a power commander, Is there an easy fix?

Using 95 unleaded fuel, no other octane available in SA

FZ6-ZN

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when you installed it did you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU? what year is your bike?

Bingo!
There is your answer; unplugging the battery terminal resets the computer and you'll notice smoother throttle response on the bike.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have the same setup - TB's without a PC.

My idle used to surge a lot as well. I just had a service and got my throttle bodys re-sync'd and man did that make a huge difference! No more surging. I have a steady idle at 1,380 rpm Mine probably runs lean too, but it's a lot smoother now...feels like a new bike.

Your pipes will always pop on deceleration, even with a PC. Sounds cool though so it's all good.

A PC would be the only way to 'fix' the issue of your bike running lean as you would need to remap the FI for the pipes.

I've been running my bike without a PC for almost a year now with no real issue. A PC is on my "to get " list, but not a priority.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same setup - TB's without a PC.

My idle used to surge a lot as well. I just had a service and got my throttle bodys re-sync'd and man did that make a huge difference! No more surging. I have a steady idle at 1,380 rpm Mine probably runs lean too, but it's a lot smoother now...feels like a new bike.

Your pipes will always pop on deceleration, even with a PC. Sounds cool though so it's all good.

A PC would be the only way to 'fix' the issue of your bike running lean as you would need to remap the FI for the pipes.

I've been running my bike without a PC for almost a year now with no real issue. A PC is on my \"to get \" list, but not a priority.

Not to poop on your parade, but they probably disconnected your batter while doing the service... I am sure the TB synch was a big help too.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
No poop taken! ;)

Probably did have it disconnected. Good point.

(confused) - so then why bother with a PC if the bike "remaps" itself? What am I missing? Mine is a 2005 so I'm not sure about the co2 sensors as well.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
On any of the '04-'06 bikes, unplugging the battery doesn't make much of a difference because there is no O2 sensor in the exhaust, only one on the intake side. All of the '07+ years got this sensor which is why they say to do this.

I installed the CF 2 Bros on my '06 and sync'd my throttle bodies the same day. It has run smooth and steady the whole time without complications. I suggest doing this whenever you do any aftermarket work on the motor and it only takes about 30 minutes start to finish if you've done it before.

As for the popping, that will never go away and is not necessarily an indicator of running lean. If you are worried, you can have a shop that has an A/F meter check your mixture for you for pretty cheap. Do a search on the topic and you'll find all sorts of solutions if your A/F is screwed up. Some people adjust the CO settings, some do PCIII, some do the Juice Box from 2Bros.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No poop taken! ;)

Probably did have it disconnected. Good point.

(confused) - so then why bother with a PC if the bike \"remaps\" itself? What am I missing? Mine is a 2005 so I'm not sure about the co2 sensors as well.

the ECu will re-map itself to the stock CO2 settings, so still not optimal. the pre 07's have less smarts to re-map, but still does a little something by unplugging

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen

I've disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and the engine seems to run a lot smoother when idling now. steady around 1260rpm

Thanks for the advice given

FZ6-ZN