Change Oil Filter Every Oil Change?

Do you change the oil filter every oil change?

• I change the filter EVERY oil change

Votes: 105 88.2%
  • I change the filter EVERY OTHER oil change

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I change the filter EVERY THREE oil changes

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • This thing requires oil?!?!?!?

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering how many of you change your oil filter every time you change the oil. I believe in the manual, it says to change the filter every other oil change. Being as this is my first bike, and being familiar with cars, it seems odd to not change the oil filter every oil change. Is there a reason other then saving money to not change it every time?

Thoughts, opinions (I am sure there are some of those...)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is worth the $4 that a new FRAM filter costs at Wal-mart for the peace of mind in knowing that it is clean every 3000 miles...

W

wrightme43

I use the purolator pure one with 99.9% efficiancy. They are more apt to clog up quicker. I do run 4-5k between oil changes though. Mobil one FTW.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Changing oil without changing the filter, is like dumping one full filter
full of dirty oil into your clean oil change. Why would anyone want
to do that? There is already some in the engine that won't come out
unless it is disassembled so no need to add any more crud to that.
It's worse on a cycle as the same oil is for engine and transmission,
unlike your car or truck.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Changing oil without changing the filter, is like dumping one full filter full of dirty oil into your clean oil change. Why would anyone want to do that?

Unintended hint of sarcasm :)

Both the Owners and Service Manual recommends changing the oil every 4000 mi (7000 km) or 6 months and filter replacement every 8000 mi (13000 km) or 12 months.

We can agree that our oil has multiple purposes but seriously, following the recommended oil and filter change/replacement schedule by the manual(s) you will not harm your engine. For a piece of mind, replacing the filter each time the oil is changed you will not harm your engine either.

Do I change mine out each time? Sometimes but more often than not - YES.

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the purolator pure one with 99.9% efficiancy. They are more apt to clog up quicker. I do run 4-5k between oil changes though. Mobil one FTW.

I change the filter every oil chagne too. I also use the purolator pure one. GOod stuff. Not to thread jack, but how much and where do you buy yours?
I got RIPPED off ebay. I think I paid 20 bucks delivered for 2. At least I think I got jacked.

KG

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
This is interesting. I didn't know that the filter was on an alternating cycle.

My Insight is like this, and with the oil change interval at 7500 miles, that filter goes 15,000 miles between changes.

I've seen no problems, and the car's getting on towards 100k miles.

I won't hurt to change the filter every time. But I believe that Yamaha and other manufacturers took all the factors into consideration when they said to change it every 8000 miles. It causes them to sell less filters, so they wouldn't do it unless they really thought it was the right thing to do.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I myself change it every time. I just don't feel right changing the oil and leaving a partialy contaminated filter on there. Just my opinion though.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted to change the filter every time. However, if your filter is of the best quality, you'd still be fine if you changed it every other time.

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to change the oil on my bike for the second time since I bought it... which is why I made this poll.

I plan on changing the filter every time, because it's really cheap and takes about an extra minute to do.

I purchase my filter at Bi-Mart which is a local retailer. I think I pay 5 dollars for mine.

How can you go wrong when the filter matches your bike!!!

:thumbup:

--Chris

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is worth the $4 that a new FRAM filter costs at Wal-mart for the peace of mind in knowing that it is clean every 3000 miles...

Sorry for the off topic, but is that he Fram Motorcycle Filter for $4 or did you come up with a Fram Auto Equivalent for that Price?

I believe I paid around $6 at Walmart for mine, which is about the same as Advance Autoparts?

Please let us know?

Oh BTW, I change the filter everytime. Can't put clean oil into a used filter!

Lewis:thumbup:

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
[COLOR=\"DarkGreen\"]I voted to change the filter every time. However, if your filter is of the best quality, you'd still be fine if you changed it every other time. [/COLOR]

Exactly. If you use a cheap filter with cardboard parts in it, you're probably pushing your luck.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the Supertech filters at Wally world for less than $2.50 each and changing them each time. It adds maybe a minute or two to the job at most even with crash bars. I'd end up buying better quality filters if I changed them every other time so the price difference would be a wash.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the K&N this go around only because it is predrill for a safety wire. One of these days I'll get on the track and the K&N makes it a little easier to prep the bike. The K&N wasn't cheap at all, about $12.95 or so. Not sure if it is any good however....That filter will stay on for the next 8,000 miles.

BTW my '02 Carrera had an oil change cycle of every 15,000 miles however that was a dry sump motor and used almost 12 quarts.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the K&N this go around only because it is predrill for a safety wire. One of these days I'll get on the track and the K&N makes it a little easier to prep the bike. The K&N wasn't cheap at all, about $12.95 or so.
I was going to use a K&N this next change (600 more miles, let's say Sunday) because it has an integral nut on the end for removal; I do have a cap wrench for the Yamaha filter, but on my first oil change it jammed and took me 20 minutes to remove. :mad: