My First Chain Cleaning

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys i'll be honest i have no idea where to start. I went to my local Yamaha dealer and bought chain lube.

As a noob what are the proper steps to cleaning a chain. I've read some of the steps in other post but haven't been able to mentally get my mind around it. Where do you apply the lube, on the O-rings or the teeth?

Also what will help clean the chain with a rag. (cleaning agent)

the bike is in really good condition and i want to keep it that way. I will post pictures later of it.

thank you in advance

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Never mind guys i did some more looking and found this.

From Wrightman43

Hi,
I do not like to disagree. It is nothing against you personally at all.
The chain on a FZ6 is a O-ring chain. If someone at the dealership told you it wasnt they were wrong and did you a great diservice.

I would highly reccomend not using brake clean on the chain again. It will destroy the o-rings.

Kerosene or WD-40 works great. With the WD do NOT spray it on the chain. Spray it on the brush or a rag first.

Here is my method. It is from a man that has over 100k miles riding experince and is very intelligent in my opinion. He is also a trained honda, kawasaki, and harley mechanic.

Ride the bike at least 20 minutes to heat the chain. Return to your work area, shut the bike down and put the key in your pocket. Put the bike on the center stand. It must be in N. Soak the rag (or brush) with kerosene or WD. With the engine OFF!!!!!!
Slowly wipe the warmed dirt and old lube off the out side edges of the chain, then the rollers, then the sproket, then wipe it all down again. It will come amazingly clean with just a rag. Keep using new parts of the rag untill its good and clean. With a dry rag wipe the chain dry.
With a good chain lube ( I use PJ clear its not the best but I am going to use it up before I buy duponts lube with teflon) using a nozzle and the lightest pressure just barely dribbling lube out, slowly lube the inside link row twice, then move to the outside link row and lube it twice around as well. The lube will get on the rollers and the sprokets by itself.
You are not adding lube to the o-ringed sealed roller areas. It is in there and is not coming out or in. You are preventing rust, and preventing abrasive wear of your side plates, roller faces, and sproket teeth.

Allow 15 minutes to dry and wipe off excess with a rag.
DO NOT over lubricate it can sling off and cause you to die. Its like gun oil, you just need a little.

B

bluenova

A few tips I've learned...

Ride first to heat the chain.

Don't use WD40 every time you lube as it strips off the lube, do it about 3 or 4 times a year to clean it up.

Lube often with a strong lube and don't use too much. Lube as soon as the chain starts to look shiny (on the inside).

Apply it to the inside of the chain where the chain contacts the sprockets (not too much, just a small coating all they way along the chain), then wipe down the edges of the chain with a rag.

Hold a piece of cardboard the other side of the chain when spraying so you don't get lube all over your floor or tire.

Do it on the centre stand if you have one, if not buy a paddock stand.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BIB BIG BIG HINT.

NEVER; NEVER; BUT NEVER HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING WHEN YOU CLEAN THE CHAIN.

DO YOU GET THE HINT ????

DON`T DO IT !!!!

OK ????

Steve